Smallest soprano hard case??

marcocolo

Reaction score
What's the smallest thing out there that provides enough protection for me to feel comfortable carrying my Sam Chang on a plane w/ me? Thanks all.

Although I cannot judge your personal level of comfort or discomfort, nor can I value the Sam Chang ukulele in your eyes, or your budget (making the question one of pure speculation), the smallest case with no expense spared is the Kamoa-type fiberglass case (available from many sellers, all with nosebleed prices), and the smallest at a reasonable price is the Stagg soprano case. :) Tell us what you eventually buy, marcocolo. Happy travels!

http://kamoaukulelecompany.com/info.php?id=3

http://www.amazon.com/Stagg-GCX-UKS...&qid=1406730994&sr=1-3&keywords=stagg+ukulele

Thanks cool. Not going to spend $200 on any case. The Stagg is actually shorter than the fiberglass jobs and from the reviews on Amazon it'll fit my uke (it's only 20 1/2" long). Was hoping to find a black one. So far the Stagg has top billing. Any other ideas folks?

What's the smallest thing out there that provides enough protection for me to feel comfortable carrying my Sam Chang on a plane w/ me? Thanks all.

Try an Oscar Schmidt soprano case. I had one that was just a bit small for a standard Martin size soprano. Also try Mainland Ukes. Mike may have something that would be just right for you.

I have a kamoa soprano case (thanks Staci) and she stated it only fits smaller ukes, ie kamoa or possibly someo of the vintage cases.

Although I cannot judge your personal level of comfort or discomfort, nor can I value the Sam Chang ukulele in your eyes, or your budget (making the question one of pure speculation), the smallest case with no expense spared is the Kamoa-type fiberglass case (available from many sellers, all with nosebleed prices), and the smallest at a reasonable price is the Stagg soprano case. :) Tell us what you eventually buy, marcocolo. Happy travels!

http://kamoaukulelecompany.com/info.php?id=3

http://www.amazon.com/Stagg-GCX-UKS...&qid=1406730994&sr=1-3&keywords=stagg+ukulele

Thanks cool. Not going to spend $200 on any case. The Stagg is actually shorter than the fiberglass jobs and from the reviews on Amazon it'll fit my uke (it's only 20 1/2" long). Was hoping to find a black one. So far the Stagg has top billing. Any other ideas folks?

I have two of the Stagg's - one figure 8 shape & another Pineapple (carrying my vintage Kamaka pineapple) - either carries well & stores easily on the planes I travel in every week. Another option might be the ABS cases that UkeRepublic carries here:

http://cargo.ukerepublic.com/product/abs-hard-case

Though it is a bit longer than the Stagg case - I carry a G-String longneck soprano in mine.

A still smaller case is a vinyl covered pineapple shaped cases (though I can't find a current seller!) - I have used these for a vintage Martin & a vintage Kamaka.

Here's another set of choices:

http://www.ukuleleworld.com/cases-soprano-ukuleles-not-over-21-long/

Last edited:
What do you keep in this soprano case, Daniel? Your toothbrush? Lol. I thought you were a devoted tenor guy.

It's for my daughter. She heard me play so wanted to learn this song. She's like me in that she doesn't know any strumming. I haven't showed her the C chord yet. :p

Give her a few weeks!!

Last edited:
Rapture, D! With a teacher like you, she'll be amazing. Good stuff, friend. Sweet video.

I like how you swing for the fences by starting her out with quality stuff. A gorgeous fiberglass case and that vintage Martin Style 3. It sounds lovely! My Walsh and King book says that Martin did away with the diamond headstock in 1922, so that's a well-aged instrument. I can tell the unique sound of a vintage Martin a mile away. Nothing else even compares to its unique sound. I could be blindfolded and I could still pick the Martin, particularly a vintage one like that. :D. Lucky girl.

Your son's birthday is upcoming. Perhaps an Eric Devine? Lol.

Last edited:
I ordered something but I'll keep tight lipped until it arrives. It was a great deal and hopefully it fits the bill. I'll fill you in in a couple days.

Marcocolo, have you decided on a case for your trip? What has your internet search yielded?

Rapture, D! With a teacher like you, she'll be amazing. Good stuff, friend. Sweet video.

I like how you swing for the fences by starting her out with quality stuff. A gorgeous fiberglass case and that vintage Martin Style 3. It sounds lovely! My Walsh and King book says that Martin did away with the diamond headstock in 1922, so that's a well-aged instrument. I can tell the unique sound of a vintage Martin a mile away. Nothing else even compares to its unique sound. I could be blindfolded and I could still pick the Martin, particularly a vintage one like that. :D. Lucky girl.

Your son's birthday is upcoming. Perhaps an Eric Devine? Lol.

Uh...I think that's a modern Kamoa soprano.

I ordered something but I'll keep tight lipped until it arrives. It was a great deal and hopefully it fits the bill. I'll fill you in in a couple days.
Oh, fun. Sure, sure. Do tell when you get it.
Uh...I think that's a modern Kamoa soprano.
Huh? Stored in a high-end fiberglass case? Silver, I know two things: 1. You could put me in another room and I'd still be able to hear the sweet jangle of a vintage Martin, as an ornithologist can detect the warble of a yellow-bellied sap sucker at a thousand paces, and 2. Daniel's unfailing penchant for the finer things in life is well established, it's his signature, if you will--Daniel owning a Kamoa would be akin to Garth Brooks owning a straw fedora. It's elementary, my dear Watson.

Last edited:
Huh? Stored in a high-end fiberglass case? Silver, I know two things: 1. You could put me in another room and I'd still be able to hear the sweet jangle of a vintage Martin, as an ornithologist can detect the warble of a yellow-bellied sap sucker at a thousand paces, and 2. Daniel's unfailing penchant for the finer things in life is well established, it's his signature, if you will--Daniel owning a Kamoa would be akin to Garth Brooks owning a straw fedora. It's elementary, my dear Watson.

No sweat, I may be wrong. :) Just thought that it looks like this Kamoa from the video:
kamoa-e3-sv-vintage[11].jpg

Wouldn't a Martin Style 3 have the strip down the middle of the fretboard? :confused: I don't have the Martin book so I don't have access to references you may have.

Found a picture of a 1920 Martin 3M with "celluloid center lines" from here:
3Muke-0412-fullf.jpg

Last edited:
No sweat, I may be wrong. :) Just thought that it looks like this Kamoa from the video:
View attachment 69555

Wouldn't a Martin Style 3 have the strip down the middle of the fretboard? :confused: I don't have the Martin book so I don't have access to references you may have.

Found a picture of a 1920 Martin 3M with "celluloid center lines" from here:
View attachment 69556

Oh, fiddlesticks! You're right, silveraven!

Pretty amazing how they made this Kamoa sound precisely like a vintage Martin Style 3 with diamond headstock.:eek:

(((I was just ribbing Daniel. He's my friend, and he has the best, top-line instruments of anyone that I know. lol :D)))

Last edited:
1960's Style 3s didn't have the heavily inlaid fretboards, but they also didn't have the diamond headstock inlay, which really wasn't used for all that long. But the dead giveaway for me was the flat fretboard end right at the soundhole-- that says Kamoa all over the place. Every version of the Style 3 I've seen had that beautiful fluted point at the end of the fretboard.

So even Daniel isn't giving his daughter a high-dollar vintage uke to start on... yet. Won't be long until she's raiding daddy's high-end uke stash... :)

Yeah, it's a laminate Kamoa and I know Steve was kidding as he's studied the Martin book like it was the manuscript to nirvana.

Staci (Wickedwahine) was giving away this uke and case for free so I thought this would be major upgrade than the Toys R Us uke that she currently has, which is significantly better than the Schoenhut Flake! She already said she wants to play the same size as daddy so she'll play my tenors when she's ready.

OK, back on topic...... I got my case(s) today. FAST shipping from Musician's Friend!
I got this: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/musicians-gear-soprano-ukulele-case
I also got the concert size. The soprano is still over an inch longer than need be for the Chang, although it fits my Favilla perfectly. I may keep searching for smaller, maybe call on the dimensions for the one for the sopranisimo. The lady said these cases had arched tops inside. Not so. But I'll remove some of the padding to take pressure off the bridges. Hardware is also just OK. But I did get both cases shipped for $56 (they made me a deal on the 2). Not in the same league as my Oahu case but I'm happy.

Top Bottom