Recommend strings for Pono MT

Shorebird

Reaction score
Anyone out there have a Pono MT? Can you recommend replacement strings?

I used higher tension Southcoasts on mine. I forget which ones because Southcoast names their strings by a series of letters that seem to change every year. Dirk, the owner, is quite helpful and I found the highest tension GCEA strings, whatever they are, to truly bring out the punch in that mahogany. Made it into a regular Floyd Mayweather, those Southcoasts did. The champ.

I used higher tension Southcoasts on mine. I forget which ones because Southcoast names their strings by a series of letters that seem to change every year. Dirk, the owner, is quite helpful and I found the highest tension GCEA strings, whatever they are, to truly bring out the punch in that mahogany. Made it into a regular Floyd Mayweather, those Southcoasts did. The champ.

Thanks for the tip

I have Ko'olau Alohi's on my Pono MCE. Lots of tension, great sound. Not the easiest on the fingers though.

If high tension is wanted I love the sound of the stock Ko'olau Gold strings. Nice volume and punch and really bring out the voice in my Pono.

And now that I see the post above I have to agree about them being a little tough on the fingers.

I went back to the Ko'olau Gold strings. It sounded pretty good with Worth clears, but I think I like it best with the stock strings.

They are the first string that I've liked more than Aquilas. For a lot of folk here that's not much of a recommendation. :p

If high tension is wanted I love the sound of the stock Ko'olau Gold strings. Nice volume and punch and really bring out the voice in my Pono.

And now that I see the post above I have to agree about them being a little tough on the fingers.

Are they the strings that the Pono came with?

Right now I have Southcoast MU-NW (medium gauge) strings on my MT. I like them, but since the MT is still new to me, I will be trying others. I have heard others mention that Fremont Black Lines go well with Mahogony, and I'm a fan of Fremont strings, so I will be trying those out next.

I have a Pono MTD which is basically the same as yours, just with some bling. I really like Worth Clears on it.

i jusst bought some Southcoast Mediums. I think I will experiment a little and try a few of the others suggested in this thread.

Sadly, since this thread originally appeared, Southcoast is no longer around. The owner passed away.

I currently have a set of Fremont Blackline Low G on mine. I haven't found anything I like better. So far.

I have a Pono MT, amongst others, and think it’s a great uke. I’ve tried lots of different strings and settled on Worth CH (heavy gauge) as the ones that work best for me.

I finally settled on PHD Low G strings. Tried several Different D

Pono AT, MT or Mango version, honestly.....Pono in my experience love anything that if flurocarbon. Just experiment with all kinds until you find what you like. To me that’s half the fun starting out with a new a ukulele......the search for what sounds and plays good.

Good luck.

Rather than start a new discussion I'll try to revive this existing discussion.

I have a Pono MT solid mahogany tenor ukulele and I'm having a minor issue with the high G string volume and projection. I find this ukulele to be very bright, especially with fluorocarbon strings. I've tried a lot of string brands, Luthier, PhD, Fremont Blacklines, D'Addario, Aquila strings but the high G string never projects. This problem is an issue mainly playing fingerstyle.

I was thinking this could be an issue with this ukulele, but it sounds more balanced with a low G. Anyone experience these high/low G string issues?

Is it something to do with hard tension VS. normal or medium tension?

Top Bottom