PDA

View Full Version : Recommend strings for Pono MT

Shorebird
07-30-2014, 05:03 AM
Anyone out there have a Pono MT? Can you recommend replacement strings?

coolkayaker1
07-30-2014, 05:07 AM
I used higher tension Southcoasts on mine. I forget which ones because Southcoast names their strings by a series of letters that seem to change every year. Dirk, the owner, is quite helpful and I found the highest tension GCEA strings, whatever they are, to truly bring out the punch in that mahogany. Made it into a regular Floyd Mayweather, those Southcoasts did. The champ.

Shorebird
07-30-2014, 06:04 AM
I used higher tension Southcoasts on mine. I forget which ones because Southcoast names their strings by a series of letters that seem to change every year. Dirk, the owner, is quite helpful and I found the highest tension GCEA strings, whatever they are, to truly bring out the punch in that mahogany. Made it into a regular Floyd Mayweather, those Southcoasts did. The champ.

Thanks for the tip

Dagan
07-30-2014, 01:11 PM
I agree, something with a high tension. I mostly use my mahogany pono for plug in purposes, but acoustically the hilo blacks are really quiet, so I switched to a flurocarbon string and it sounds great!

aquadan
07-30-2014, 01:23 PM
I have low g living waters on mine and it sounds great.

PhilUSAFRet
07-30-2014, 01:51 PM
I have Ko'olau Alohi's on my Pono MCE. Lots of tension, great sound. Not the easiest on the fingers though.

Icelander53
07-30-2014, 01:51 PM
If high tension is wanted I love the sound of the stock Ko'olau Gold strings. Nice volume and punch and really bring out the voice in my Pono.

And now that I see the post above I have to agree about them being a little tough on the fingers.

Leigh Coates
07-30-2014, 03:11 PM
I went back to the Ko'olau Gold strings. It sounded pretty good with Worth clears, but I think I like it best with the stock strings.

Icelander53
07-30-2014, 03:53 PM
They are the first string that I've liked more than Aquilas. For a lot of folk here that's not much of a recommendation. :p

Shorebird
07-31-2014, 02:24 AM
If high tension is wanted I love the sound of the stock Ko'olau Gold strings. Nice volume and punch and really bring out the voice in my Pono.

And now that I see the post above I have to agree about them being a little tough on the fingers.

Are they the strings that the Pono came with?

hammer40
07-31-2014, 04:29 AM
Right now I have Southcoast MU-NW (medium gauge) strings on my MT. I like them, but since the MT is still new to me, I will be trying others. I have heard others mention that Fremont Black Lines go well with Mahogony, and I'm a fan of Fremont strings, so I will be trying those out next.

Colonel Uke
07-31-2014, 06:26 AM
I have a Pono MTD which is basically the same as yours, just with some bling. I really like Worth Clears on it.

Shorebird
07-31-2014, 07:12 AM
i jusst bought some Southcoast Mediums. I think I will experiment a little and try a few of the others suggested in this thread.