PDA

View Full Version : any ohana players out there

geoffsuke
02-18-2009, 05:07 AM
i was just wondering who else plays an ohana uke on uu!!! i have a tk-300g and it seems to be sounding B-E-A utifuller by the day, plus i love the looks, anyone out there???

:biglaugh:

olokun82
02-18-2009, 05:32 AM
my soprano ukulele is a SK-35 and I think it sounds great. i've also got a kala ka-t that i received about 2 weeks ago from MGM. that dude is the shit, and everything good i've heard about him is true

taropatch
02-18-2009, 05:39 AM
I've only been paying for a few weeks (in fact this is my first post). I bought the Ohana SK-50WG on MGM's recommendation. Very happy with the choice. Willow sides and back, cedar soundboard. Although I was happy with it "out of the box" it seems to be improving in tone. All the better.

geoffsuke
02-18-2009, 05:40 AM
i got mine form ukulele shop. they were really reliable too. just never seem to be open :)

Ken Middleton
02-18-2009, 05:45 AM
I have three: a tenor, a concert and (yes, you've guessed it) a soprano.

Captain Google
02-18-2009, 05:47 AM
I have a TK-20, and I love her very much.

MGM recently put up a soprano bell in his store. If it comes in a tenor size as well, I may have to buy one, just because it looks cool.

I think I feel a UAS coming on... :eek:

Howlin Hobbit
02-18-2009, 08:54 AM
I have their sopranino. Since I've tuned it up to F I've been playing it a lot more. In fact, for the last few days it's all I've been playing. I'll get back to normal (or as normal as I get) soon I'm sure. But it'll definitely be a larger* part of my playing from now on.

* Yeah, yeah... I know.

cosmoblue
02-18-2009, 09:19 AM
I got my Ohana SK-70MG last week. She is my first.

Woodshed
02-18-2009, 09:25 AM
I'm in the Ohana club as well. I just wrote a review of my Ohana Tenor TK-35G (http://ukulelehunt.com/2009/02/18/ohana-tenor-ukulele-tk-35g-review/).

Pippin
02-18-2009, 10:13 AM
I have an SK-35G, a SK-50WG, a CK-50G, a CK-25, CKP-70, and BK20CE right here. Adding to this list... Ohana pineapple soprano (solid mahogany), the TK-20CE, the SKB-35 bell, the CK-70g (maple back & sides w/spruce top), CK-300G, soprano zebrawood.

I wrote a review of the SK-50WG and CK-50G for Ukulele Player. the others will all have reviews written for them as future issues are released. You will also see some other baritone reviews coming.

Ohana ukuleles are great performers. They sound wonderful and are a great value.

BTW... we are reviewing and giving away several more Kala ukes in coming issues, including a solid mahogany soprano, a spalted maple with spruce top, and some more tenors.

jhob
02-18-2009, 12:45 PM
I am contemplating an ohana sopranino, not quite sure I would get enough play out of it to justify buying though, decisions, decisions...

I think if I tuned it anything other than C it would just confuse me.

Faricelli
02-18-2009, 02:05 PM
I got a Sk-50mg cedar top. It was recommended by MGM. He was right this little soprano screams. It has a really nice tone and is cheap enough to take anywhere I want and not worry about it.

Uke Republic
02-18-2009, 02:15 PM
I just started selling the Ohana line and I must say , great instruments.Well made and fun to play. I enjoy the little sopranino, it makes me feel like a big man.(HAAA) They stand behind their products and they inspect each uke before its shipped to us dealers. Bravo to the Ohana players out there!

Paul December
02-18-2009, 02:27 PM
Ohana Vita here :shaka:
...I call him "Roger" :D

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k293/pauldecember/CKP70_front.jpg
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k293/pauldecember/americandadroger.gif

DeG
02-18-2009, 07:14 PM
I first played an Ohana uke this past Saturday (at Uke Republic's showing), and I must say I was impressed by the sound of the Vita and the SK50MG. I don't currently own an Ohana but the 65D looks super sweet! And based on my experience from their other spruce top ukes, I bet that it sounds nice too.

02-19-2009, 04:18 AM
i own a vita. i fell in love with the sound, though, i'm thinking of going through some new strings (i have some blackline fluoro waiting) to tone down the brightness. still a great player.

UKISOCIETY
02-19-2009, 04:25 AM
I own the Ohana sopranino and used to own the long-necked soprano. I deached it to a friend. Now I'm sad. :(

tshirtandties
02-19-2009, 11:04 PM
Ohana SK-35G Soprano from the ukulele shop :)

jhob
02-20-2009, 01:03 AM
Just ordered the sopranino so I soon will be an ohana user too! Pretty excited about it!:nana::nana::nana:

geoffsuke
02-20-2009, 03:58 AM
Just ordered the sopranino so I soon will be an ohana user too! Pretty excited about it!:nana::nana::nana:

wahay, nice one, congrats on that :nana:

glazed67
05-04-2009, 09:47 AM
Ditto here. Ohana tk-25 for me. Just shipped today. I can hardly wait for it to arrive. My first uke.

Pippin
05-04-2009, 10:25 AM
Add a BK-32 to that list above. :)

tshirtandties
05-04-2009, 10:30 AM
Ohana SK-35G 'Keona' from the Ukulele Shop which has shutdown now after five years which means there are no more Ohana retailers in the UK :'(

tshirtandties
05-04-2009, 10:32 AM
whoops i posted twice lol,didnt see my earlier post lol :P

Daionsavage
05-04-2009, 11:09 AM
My SK-35 is on the way from ukulele24.de :smileybounce:

Hey, tshirtandties... you've got two ohana dealers in france and one in germany and one in italy. No sweat!

Latinleaders
05-04-2009, 11:18 AM
I'd love to try the Ohana Vita shaped uke and compare it to the one I have whic is from some company called Clearwater who I hadn't heard of before.

From what I'm told though the ohana ukes are really good. I'll have to try one:smileybounce:

Amy
05-04-2009, 05:21 PM
I've got a 5-day-old sopranino (sk-21) and it's fabulous. I have ridiculously small hands and it seems a good fit. [My other uke is a soprano Flea.] Have it tuned to C and it's just fine for me.

Link
05-04-2009, 05:24 PM
Well.. my Mainland was probably made right next to your Ohana?

Slick
05-04-2009, 05:52 PM
About a month ago I bought a CK-70RB (plastic body), MGM said it was like a Fluke on steroids and he wasn't kidding. This baby projects!

I got it to take camping and generally use outdoors, something I wouldn't have to worry about damaging. Well since i got it, it's the only uke I've been playing. It's loud, has great sustain and the intonation is perfect.

http://www.ohana-music.com/conc/ck70rb/mod_f.jpghttp://www.ohana-music.com/conc/ck70rb/mod_r.jpg

Captain Google
05-04-2009, 06:25 PM
I'm still in love with my Tomo. I have others, sure, but she'll always be my #1 gal!

Oh, and the uke is simply fantastic!:D

bassfiddlesteve
05-04-2009, 06:59 PM
I used an Ohana CK-50G to record the Barnkickers debut CD (although my daughter used her Bushman Jenny concert on a few tracks) and it's still my favorite all-around uke. You can see it in the videos for "One Less Tear" and "Night Song". I also have a CK-70RB that I keep in my office. IMHO Ohana makes some of the best ukes in their price range.

- Steve

Captain Google
05-04-2009, 07:14 PM
I used an Ohana CK-50G to record the Barnkickers debut CD (although my daughter used her Bushman Jenny concert on a few tracks) and it's still my favorite all-around uke. You can see it in the videos for "One Less Tear" and "Night Song". I also have a CK-70RB that I keep in my office. IMHO Ohana makes some of the best ukes in their price range.

- Steve

Amen to that, Steve!

Harold O.
05-05-2009, 04:15 AM
About a month ago I posted a comparison between my Ohana TK 35G and Fender Nohea. There's a sound file linked that helps illustrate the difference between them. I play them both but think of the Ohana as "my uke".

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12213

Matt Clara
08-05-2009, 08:24 AM
I may be late to this thread, but I'm new here, so I'll chime in. About a month and a half ago I bought an Ohana SK70-MG from MGM, and love it. Then I discovered I live near a great resource known as Elderly Instruments. I went in there and tried a bunch of their ukes last week, and ended up walking away with an Ohana CK-25 all mahogany. It really is a great sounding instrument. Now I'm eyeballing the Ohana zebrawood soprano. I'd rather have a concert size, but the zebrawood comes with great reviews and is dang near dirt cheap.

vahn
08-05-2009, 08:39 AM
how was the actions on the ohanas at elderly? On the phone they said they set them up first, and that would make me a little less hesitant about ordering from them

Matt Clara
08-06-2009, 09:00 AM
how was the actions on the ohanas at elderly? On the phone they said they set them up first, and that would make me a little less hesitant about ordering from them

These guys are the real deal, and I tried almost all of the ukes they have hanging on the wall, about 12-15 of them in all. I am not an expert, but it seems they set the action a little lower than MGM. They were generally easier for me, a beginner, to fret. This was particularly true of a couple of the kalas I tried, in particular a concert with a spruce top and a D shaped sound hole set towards the top of the uke (top if you're playing right handed, that is). That thing was incredibly easy for me to play. The kala sound seems to be understated compared to the Ohana's, though. Less pronounced, perhaps.

At any rate, I would have no fear ordering from Elderly Instruments. They have a very professional operation going on, with several luthiers employed full time, an extensive showroom, and an even larger stock room--if I didn't see the ukes I wanted to check out, I told them, and they went and got them from stock. Too cool, you just can't do that everywhere (read, almost nowhere).

Pippin
08-06-2009, 02:37 PM

- Steve

How do you like the round-back, Steve. They now have a baritone, too.

Pippin
08-06-2009, 02:39 PM
These guys are the real deal, and I tried almost all of the ukes they have hanging on the wall, about 12-15 of them in all. I am not an expert, but it seems they set the action a little lower than MGM. They were generally easier for me, a beginner, to fret. This was particularly true of a couple of the kalas I tried, in particular a concert with a spruce top and a D shaped sound hole set towards the top of the uke (top if you're playing right handed, that is). That thing was incredibly easy for me to play. The kala sound seems to be understated compared to the Ohana's, though. Less pronounced, perhaps.

At any rate, I would have no fear ordering from Elderly Instruments. They have a very professional operation going on, with several luthiers employed full time, an extensive showroom, and an even larger stock room--if I didn't see the ukes I wanted to check out, I told them, and they went and got them from stock. Too cool, you just can't do that everywhere (read, almost nowhere).

Elderly is a top-notch company.

Melissa82
08-06-2009, 02:46 PM
I have an Ohana Ck-25. It's my love. :love:

uke552
08-06-2009, 05:22 PM
Ohana sopranino here-it's a kick!

bassfiddlesteve
08-06-2009, 05:31 PM
How do you like the round-back, Steve. They now have a baritone, too.

It's great sounding uke and nice quality for the money. The action is a bit high (an easy fix) and I'm not that fond of round-backed instruments in general, but I'd have no reservations about recommending one to someone looking for a concert sized uke under $150.

This is the uke I keep in my office at work. I use it to play for the residents, serenade an employee celebrating a birthday or for a quick strum when I need a "uke break".:music:

- Steve

vahn
08-06-2009, 06:57 PM
Anyone have a PK-25g? I want to know how it sounds compared to a bushman jenny pineapple?

Pippin
08-06-2009, 08:18 PM
Anyone have a PK-25g? I want to know how it sounds compared to a bushman jenny pineapple?

I have one here. I will be reviewing it in a future issue of Ukulele Player. The next issue will be a review of the BK-20ce, after that issue comes the review of the pineapple.

I took it to a local ukulele club meeting and it made its way around the room over three times. People loved it.

Ken Middleton
08-06-2009, 08:46 PM

I have one at home. I took it to the Hollesley festival (in Suffolk UK) and lots of people loved it. It has a beautiful warm, rich sound. And it looks just great.

Skottoman
08-07-2009, 03:49 AM
Sopranino here. Wasn't totally impressed with the sound at first, but over the past 6 months the playability, tune and sound has improved immensely. I grab for that one a lot to play while sitting at my computer reading UU.

Highly recommend a sopranino. What fun, really cool sound, and they do play like a high quality instrument. Just have to give it some time to "set".

Cheers,
Skottoman

jtafaro
08-07-2009, 07:04 AM
I recently bought an SK15B from Roy Cone. It's their low end soprano.
http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx304/jtafaro/th_ukes002.jpg (http://s766.photobucket.com/albums/xx304/jtafaro/?action=view&current=ukes002.jpg)

http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx304/jtafaro/th_ukes001.jpg (http://s766.photobucket.com/albums/xx304/jtafaro/?action=view&current=ukes001.jpg)

http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx304/jtafaro/th_ukes003.jpg (http://s766.photobucket.com/albums/xx304/jtafaro/?action=view&current=ukes003.jpg)

http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx304/jtafaro/th_ukes004.jpg (http://s766.photobucket.com/albums/xx304/jtafaro/?action=view&current=ukes004.jpg)

The first thing I did was to replace the strings with Worthclears. For a low end uke it sounds great. I have now ordered a CK35G from MGM butI asked for grover 4B tuners. The stock white plastic tunwers on the Ohanas are not as good as geared tuners but the friction tuners are what is traditional and with them the uke looks like a uke should.

Joe T

Pippin
08-07-2009, 11:19 AM
I recently bought an SK15B from Roy Cone. It's their low end soprano.

The first thing I did was to replace the strings with Worthclears. For a low end uke it sounds great. I have now ordered a CK35G from MGM butI asked for grover 4B tuners. The stock white plastic tunwers on the Ohanas are not as good as geared tuners but the friction tuners are what is traditional and with them the uke looks like a uke should.

Joe T

Interesting. Ohana is starting to offer more models with geared tuners from the factory because of player demand. So, you will start seeing more choices. I am sure MGM will stock some of each.

edgar44
09-11-2009, 05:24 PM
I have two Ohana tenor ukuleles...the first one was purchased just over a year ago. A TK-20...plain basic uke but GREAT sound! Since then I've purchased three others...a 1950's Kamaka soprano, a 1930's Slingerland banjolele and another Ohana tenor with cut away and pick up...They are are wonderful. The Ohana TK-20 is now for sale...I'm asking $170...

magritte
09-11-2009, 07:10 PM
I am new to this group. My two favorite all-around ukes are my Ohanas, a concert and a tenor...both cedar top and rosewood sides/back. And geared tuners (thank God).

Very high quality for the price and strong, rich sound. I am a big fan of Ohana.

magritte

pdxuke
12-20-2009, 09:17 PM
I know, I was looking at the pineapple (and that is still on the list) but the $125 sopranino with FREE shipping was just too good to pass on. My first all wood uke, and I think I'm in love already...:nana:

davetherave
12-22-2009, 08:28 AM
I am as of today!!

My new TK35G turned up through the snow and ice.

What fun!!! I can't put the blasted thing down! :o

Pippin
12-22-2009, 01:07 PM
i was just wondering who else plays an ohana uke on uu!!! i have a tk-300g and it seems to be sounding B-E-A utifuller by the day, plus i love the looks, anyone out there???

:biglaugh:

The CK-300G is fantastic, too. I have several Ohana ukes here.

Pete Beardsley
12-23-2009, 01:41 AM
I bought a CKP70 peardrop "vita uke" at the weekend. I have no experience so not mush as a benchmark, but at the side of other Ukes that I tested in the shop it was one of the best sounds. Especially against the cheaper Mahalos and stuff. The tone seemed more defined to me and the volume was slightly better too, though that may be down to it being a concert as opposed to a soprano.
Not to mention the fact that it looks (IMHO!) damn sexy!! :D

bassfiddlesteve
12-23-2009, 03:53 AM
though that may be down to it being a concert as opposed to a soprano.

Although Ohana calls this uke a concert because of the larger body it's actually a soprano in terms of scale length.

- Steve

Pete Beardsley
12-23-2009, 06:35 AM
Thanks Steve. Every day is a school day! :cheers: