Mahogany Tenor

Icelander53

Reaction score
What's great in solid wood mahogany tenor uke? Oh and it needs to be at or under $500. ( a good starter for an interested friend) I've come up with Islander and Pono.

What do you think about those? Are there any others to check out?

Last edited:
I don't have one personally, but I hear a lot of good things about Mainland

I do have a Mainland tenor and I recommend it. It is a great instrument for 1/2 of the budget you are talking about.

I have the Gretsch G9121 and when I changed the strings to Worth CT and lowered the action, it turned out to be an excellent playing and sounding uke for around $200.

I don't think that one is solid wood. I have the Gretsch cutaway A/E and the back and sides are laminate. It's my easiest uke playing wise but it lacks something in sound IMO. I have no intention of ever parting with it though as it's a blast to play and it's easy on the hands. But this one needs to be solid top to bottom.

Mainland seemed really good for me. Pono is good but I like a thinner neck. I like to look for used. Most are in terrific shape and you get a better bang for the buck. I prefer a radiused fretboard so usually have to go to a higher end uke; which I don't mind lol.

In that price range I think they are all pretty close in quality for solid mahogany. The big difference would be in the setup and bling. 'hogs really sound good. I've got an old '46-53 Favilla 'hog baritone that has a really deep lusty sound to it. If it had a thinner neck, I'd sell my Martin bari before it.

Mim and Uke Republic usually has a good selection. Here's one from Mim's http://www.ebay.com/itm/MIM-Ohana-T...237?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27e4f0a735. Ohana is extremely nice.

Last edited:
Mele makes a solid Mahogany tenor for around $500. Mele started out making Martin copies and they have very thin necks with a fixed steel truss rod. Something else to consider. I have an 8 string, solid Koa tenor from Mele and it has a sweet sound.

Anthony

Mele makes a solid Mahogany tenor for around $500. Mele started out making Martin copies and they have very thin necks with a fixed steel truss rod. Something else to consider. I have an 8 string, solid Koa tenor from Mele and it has a sweet sound.

Anthony

:agree: Those mahogany Mele's are sweet. I have the solid Koa tenor and have heard and played the solid mahogany tenor cutaway with eq (I'm currently using a Kala solid mahogany cutaway as a temporary surrogate.) Don't overlook the Kala solid mahogany slot head at HMS at the low end of your price range.

I don't think that one is solid wood. I have the Gretsch cutaway A/E and the back and sides are laminate. It's my easiest uke playing wise but it lacks something in sound IMO. I have no intention of ever parting with it though as it's a blast to play and it's easy on the hands. But this one needs to be solid top to bottom.

I see, the G9121 top is solid, but not the body, so never mind.

On Ebay, Paradiseukes, (a former Ko'olau tech) sells Pono refurbs at a huge discount First class seller, but those HMS ukes are a great price too.

I'll check that out thanks

edit: doesn't seem to be selling anything at the moment

Last edited:
Stumbled upon an Eastman in a local store and was very surprised at the quality. A bit of an impulse buy I guess, but after about a month, I'm still not kicking myself.

Top Bottom