PDA

View Full Version : NUD! Kala KA-ATP-CTG Cedar Acacia

surfaday
07-31-2014, 08:12 PM
Hi all!

Been playing since getting back into uke about the end of 2009. Been building my chops on a Sam's Club Leolani uke.

Today I pulled the trigger and got a beautiful Kala tenor sized acacia body with solid cedar top. It also has beautiful padauk binding and a great looking slotted headstock.

I was all ready to get another at a slightly lower price point when I tried this one. Wow. So happy I did. I really like the looks, and the tone is good too with good projection. I love that it has a solid top.

I can't wait to put some hours into it.

kohanmike
07-31-2014, 08:41 PM
I recently got the cutaway preamp version and I agree, it looks and sounds great. It is my go to uke now, but it might be surpassed by the custom I just received when it opens up.

Kimosabe
07-31-2014, 10:04 PM
Excuse me for saying so but I think you just bought yourself one of the greater lower-priced ukes you could possibly find. These will go down as real classics and they will age well. Congratulations on having good taste and luck.

kvehe
08-01-2014, 01:15 AM
Beautiful! An excellent choice!

Osprey
08-01-2014, 02:06 AM
Congratulations. That is a beautiful ukulele. I have about decided on a cedar top for my next Uke.
Cliff

UkerDanno
08-01-2014, 03:08 AM
Congratulations. That is a beautiful ukulele. I have about decided on a cedar top for my next Uke.
Cliff

yeah, I was playing around with some Ohana's in the store the other day, they had solid koa and mahogany and the solid Cedar top and I think flamed mahogany back and sides was the best, brightest sounding of all, by far. As well as beautiful, and the sale price was very tempting! If only I wasn't so attached to my Martin, or do I need another concert?!

FrankB
08-01-2014, 03:29 AM
A fine choice. I bought one based on looks alone, and it turned out to sound great as well. ;) It sounds even better with Oasis strings: more volume, sustain, and a sweeter tone.
Enjoy!

Shorebird
08-01-2014, 03:36 AM
Beautiful Ukulele. Kala makes good stuff

Shorebird
08-01-2014, 03:38 AM
Beautiful Ukulele. Kala makes good stuff

I like the slotted head quite a value

surfaday
08-01-2014, 05:27 AM
Thanks much for the compliments and confirmation that I made the right choice. I almost didn't get any sleep because I was up playing it (quietly) till the wee hours. I'm visiting my elderly mom, (in Hawaii), right now so I'm dooking forward to serenading her.

Captain America
08-01-2014, 06:21 AM
I'm really liking mine. In fact, I wrote a little note of appreciation to the company owner.

surfaday
08-02-2014, 09:31 AM
Just curious, did you ever get a reply from the owner?

ubulele
08-02-2014, 02:38 PM
Pardon if this is a repeat--my previous post has seemingly vanished in the ether.

I bought one of these puppies (Kala KA-ATP-CTG) in December and I've been very pleased with it--I enjoy playing it more than my all-solids. Kala did a great job with this uke: it has tasteful but distinctive aesthetics and a warm, pleasing sound; it sounded so sweet right from the box. In addition to graduating the bouts, Kala arched the back slightly top to bottom, which contributes both to balanced frequency response and volume. I like the look of the layered, slotted headstock and inlaid wooden Kala logo, also the black-and-blond pinstriping around the red padauk binding and rosette on the top (there's also black pinstriping setting off the binding along the sides, and a skunk stripe along the base, where the sides join). The Kala cedar-top is one fine honey for the price.

On my Kala cedar-top, I just replaced the low-G Aquila strings with Worth browns, and like the improvement in sound and touch: mellower, less "thunky", easier to play, and no squeaking along the 4th string. Others may find this doesn't yield a sufficiently "ooky" sound--too mellow, not enough plink--but hearing too many cheap ukes has rendered me plink-averse.