NUD! Kala KA-ATP-CTG Cedar Acacia

surfaday

Reaction score
Hi all!

Been playing since getting back into uke about the end of 2009. Been building my chops on a Sam's Club Leolani uke.

Today I pulled the trigger and got a beautiful Kala tenor sized acacia body with solid cedar top. It also has beautiful padauk binding and a great looking slotted headstock.

I was all ready to get another at a slightly lower price point when I tried this one. Wow. So happy I did. I really like the looks, and the tone is good too with good projection. I love that it has a solid top.

I can't wait to put some hours into it.

20140731_185805.jpg

20140731_185836.jpg

20140731_185848.jpg

I recently got the cutaway preamp version and I agree, it looks and sounds great. It is my go to uke now, but it might be surpassed by the custom I just received when it opens up.

Excuse me for saying so but I think you just bought yourself one of the greater lower-priced ukes you could possibly find. These will go down as real classics and they will age well. Congratulations on having good taste and luck.

Congratulations. That is a beautiful ukulele. I have about decided on a cedar top for my next Uke.
Cliff

Congratulations. That is a beautiful ukulele. I have about decided on a cedar top for my next Uke.
Cliff

yeah, I was playing around with some Ohana's in the store the other day, they had solid koa and mahogany and the solid Cedar top and I think flamed mahogany back and sides was the best, brightest sounding of all, by far. As well as beautiful, and the sale price was very tempting! If only I wasn't so attached to my Martin, or do I need another concert?!

Last edited:
A fine choice. I bought one based on looks alone, and it turned out to sound great as well. ;) It sounds even better with Oasis strings: more volume, sustain, and a sweeter tone.
Enjoy!

Thanks much for the compliments and confirmation that I made the right choice. I almost didn't get any sleep because I was up playing it (quietly) till the wee hours. I'm visiting my elderly mom, (in Hawaii), right now so I'm dooking forward to serenading her.

I'm really liking mine. In fact, I wrote a little note of appreciation to the company owner.

Pardon if this is a repeat--my previous post has seemingly vanished in the ether.

I bought one of these puppies (Kala KA-ATP-CTG) in December and I've been very pleased with it--I enjoy playing it more than my all-solids. Kala did a great job with this uke: it has tasteful but distinctive aesthetics and a warm, pleasing sound; it sounded so sweet right from the box. In addition to graduating the bouts, Kala arched the back slightly top to bottom, which contributes both to balanced frequency response and volume. I like the look of the layered, slotted headstock and inlaid wooden Kala logo, also the black-and-blond pinstriping around the red padauk binding and rosette on the top (there's also black pinstriping setting off the binding along the sides, and a skunk stripe along the base, where the sides join). The Kala cedar-top is one fine honey for the price.

On my Kala cedar-top, I just replaced the low-G Aquila strings with Worth browns, and like the improvement in sound and touch: mellower, less "thunky", easier to play, and no squeaking along the 4th string. Others may find this doesn't yield a sufficiently "ooky" sound--too mellow, not enough plink--but hearing too many cheap ukes has rendered me plink-averse.

Last edited:
Top Bottom