Worth Browns on a Pono Acacia Concert..?

wayward

Reaction score
Hello, fellow string-obsesses. I bought a Pono Acacia Deluxe (concert)recently, and the people who sold it to me told me that my low G string of choice (Worth Browns) don't work well on that particular ukulele: does anyone know why that might be? I currently have a Fremont squeakless wound low G (which I v much like) and the Mahana strings it came with - but I'm not so keen on those. I'm planning to try some Ko'olau Golds on it. Any other suggestions..?

I don't know why the Worths wouldn't work. I have the same uke and have used the hi G version strings on it with good success. Maybe they didn't like the sound. String are very subjective.

Never know with some ukes. I've been wanting to try some Fremont black low g's. I have Southcoast lights on my solid Koa Mele with good success. My KPK has an ebony nut and saddle, and Aquilas really make it sing in every conceivable way. Mahanas came on my Pono 6 string and I couldn't get them off fast enough.....sounded "dead." Again, I got a Southcoast 8 string set for it so I could have both high and low C. Good luck.

I'm running Martin 620s along with an Aquila wound G on my Pono Acacia tenor. The sound and feel are both quite good.

Browns have always been, for me, a string that sounds good on pretty much everything. But then again, I like the sound of Browns. Which certainly have a thing all their own.
Try 'em.

I have Living Water low G on my Pono ATD. I like their sound and playability.

Some really helpful replies to my first question on here, thanks folks! Worth Browns are my favourite strings on my Kala Acacia, so I think I'll give them a go (after experimenting with the golds + fremont low g). Then it'll have to be Southcoast strings (assuming I can get them in the UK - I'll check online in a minute), and finally I'll try the Living Waters ones. I'm glad I'm not alone in finding the mahanas sounded dead too PhilUSAFRet - I wondered if it was just me till I read your reply. Thanks everyone.

Top Bottom