what uke, size and material type do you play most

keithy351

Reaction score
g'day ladies and gentlepeeps, im just curious as theres so many of yous out there, whats the most common uke you play, what size is it, what brand and whats it made out of, just curious to see how diverse everyone is :shaka:

Hi keithy351,

First I will tell you that there is no right answer. Nobody else can tell you what you like and don't like. You have to try different 'ukuleles out yourself.

I play a Kamaka 4-string tenor. The top, back, and sides are made out of koa, I'm not sure about the neck and fretboard (probably ebony?). I also use Worth strings, the Ch-LGEX kind.

That's just my favorite,

Tenor always. My only uke is now a Ko'olau T-1, all Koa body and top with a mahogany neck and rosewood fretboard. I prefer D'addario J71 strings with this 'ukulele, tuned re-entrant.

Concert KoAloha made of koa with Worth clears is the ukulele I use the most. But sometimes certain songs sound better on different ukes.

My two main ukes are a Kamaka soprano (solid koa with mahogany neck, rosewood fretboard, Worth Brown strings) and a concert Flea (pine top, plastic back/sides, maple neck, rosewood fretboard, D'Addario Pro Arte strings). I love the sound of a good koa uke, and when I get a tenor or super-concert it'll likely be a Hawaiian-made koa.

I play a Kala Mahogany Archtop Tenor Uke. I just got it a month ago and it still has the Aquila Nylgut strings. Purchased from MGM!

I've had a soprano pineapple for about a year, but it really didn't feel right in my guitar-playing hands. Now that I'm playing a tenor, I'm much more excited about uke.

the favourite of my ukes is my ohana tk-300g. it is that uke that seems to be perfect in nearly every way for me. it's a tenor made from solid koa, so you can imagine that it sounds amazing. plus it was more expensive than my electric guitar so again, it's gonna be good. why, are you thinking of buying a new uke???

peace:cheers: and beer

The only uke I have is a tenor laminate with a mahogany soundboard... but my next one will probably be a concert Fluke. And as far as strings go, I haven't changed from the GHS strings that came on it.

g'day ladies and gentlepeeps, im just curious as theres so many of yous out there, whats the most common uke you play, what size is it, what brand and whats it made out of, just curious to see how diverse everyone is :shaka:

just to answer, and not totally disregard what you posted this for,
Concert
Kamaka
Koa

But people don't choose based totally on what other's are playing, but a lot by personal reference.

Since its the only one I have its the Lanikai with nato and a rosewood fretboard...

I have lots of ukes, but I tend to play a concert with rosewood back and sides, cedar top or I opt for a mahogany baritone.

I am a big fan of baritone ukes and play several configurations.

Mahogany soprano. Made it myself from a Stewart MacDonald kit. I used to have a very nice Martin style 0, but wasn't playing it much, so I sold it.

I keep a Yellow Mahalo in the car, and that gets quite a bit of use in the warmer months. Select a good one, set it up properly, fit Aquila strings, and they are surprisingly satisfying, for a knock-about uke.

Ukantor.

Even split:

Pono PT8, 8 string Tenor mahogany - play it at home
Pono PSO, soprano mahogany - play it at work

I currently play a Kala mango tenor, but I've got a Kanile'a K1 tenor on order. I think I'd also like to get/play a concert uke - such as the upcoming Kala travel concert - for taking with me on trips.

In the car & at work my long neck Flea.

On the Porch when it's warm Kala Mahogany KA-S, 1 Low G, 1 High g, Soprano & KA-T Low G Tenor, they are the laminate versions that way I don't mind taking them out in the Hot Sun/Low Humidity/Temp. swings.

During my lessons a Kala Spruce top Maple body Tenor, more finger room for tryin new stuff on.

And for the last 3 hours a KoAloha Soprano, Pono Soprano PSO, the Spruce/Maple, the Low G KA-T, the High g KA-S.
Didn't want any to feel left out and trying to figure out which ones to play for a bunch of Vintage 20's-30's Music I just picked up.

But all in all mostly Soprano's cuz it's a Ukulele!!!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom