Kamaka fabricated in Japan ?

From 1963 to 1970, to compete against unscrupulous ukulele manufacturers who tried to sell fake "Kamaka" ukuleles in Japan, Kamaka & Sons Enterprises collaborated with Tokyo Stringed Manufacturing Co., Ltd. to produce ukuleles for sale in Japan. Called "Keiki Kamaka," the ukuleles were made of mahogany, and were only available in the standard (soprano) size. "Keiki" means "child" in Hawaiian, a fitting name for the lowest-priced, beginner's model.

lifted from Kamaka fun facts FAQ

The Kamaka Keiki sopranos had a different logo on the headstock though, and I don't think any of them were pineapples. This one also looks like koa from the pictures. Not sure what to make of it.

I'm not suspicious at all. That's a Kamaka Keiki pineapple.

Hmmmmm...

The Kamaka Keiki sopranos had a different logo on the headstock though, and I don't think any of them were pineapples. This one also looks like koa from the pictures. Not sure what to make of it.

Yeah! What the hell?

Very interesting, thanks for the link. It looks very similar to other pineapples from the period, but I didn't know they had made any in Japan. I'd go check it out if I was in the area.

It was 1967 when I was in kindergarten in Aiea, HI. Part of our "Hawaiiana" curriculum was learning to play the ukulele, and I believe this might have been implanted on an island-wide scale. The ukes were Kamakas. I still remember the cases in which they came - semi-rigid with yellow ("kahili") lining. Forty years later, I spoke with a close friend who intimated that according to Sam Kamaka, those ukes were made in Japan to fill the massive order placed by the HI state education system. Those ukes were made of mahogany....

Wondering if anyone on this thread could help:
Thought I'd cross post here and see if any vintage Kamaka experts would be willing to go to my post today about "older Kamaka pineapple" on the "Buying tips" forum and give your opinion on my mystery pineapple (koa?) Kamaka...

Top Bottom