N.U.D! Kala KA-TEME

harpdog cc

Reaction score
I wanted a laminated tenor with pickup for gigs and for ukulele clubs,
[wanting to protect my all solid and more delicate spruce/ovangkol tenor(Kala KA-ASOV-T)]

Jon of Uncle Jon's Music in Westmont IL. was kind enough to order this in along with a (SSTU-TEP) travel tenor with pickup so I could compare.

While the solid spruce travel tenor gives a slightly better, (though slightly thin), acoustic tone,
this exotic mahogany laminate really suits my needs and was more comfortable to play.
The pre-amps are slightly different, but the plugged-in sound is about the same. Built in tuner is a bonus!

I have become very impressed by Kala, their design, sound, accuracy, and ready from the box set-ups.

20140801_182128_zpseebb9636.jpg

uk300t.jpg

Last edited:
It looks very pretty. My only experience with a kala was that the fretboard at the nut seemed a little small/narrow for me.

Yeah, that looks great. (I don't find much, if any, difference in the sound of Kala laminates or solids.)

My experience with these is that they are a good value and sound better than most in their price range.

Never heard of exotic mahogany, any different from regular mahogany?

I have a KA-TEM it is my first and so far only uke. I do hope to upgrade some tme soon. I am pretty happy with the sound. I put on Low G Reds on it. I think they give the uke a fuller sound
Cliff

Congratulaions! A friend of mine has that uke in the concert size, and he loves it! It's his go to uke. And he can afford any uke he wants. It really looks good!

Very nice! Good looking too. Living in AZ, I would absolutely buy laminates since it's usually so dry here. Kala's seem to be a good value

Top Bottom