Reds on Soprano

BigD

Reaction score
I personally have come to really enjoy aquila reds on most my ukes, i like the feel and the warm almost but not quite boominess of them! Ill be coming into a pretty nice solid soprano here soon, so im curious of peoples thoughts about the reds on a soprano because it seems like i never here much about it!

I have them on my Flea soprano and love them. The only hiccup was having to widen the nut and saddle to take the wider-diameter unwound low-G.

I have them on my 1940's Silvertone all mahogany soprano. They sound of wonderful and I like them a little more every time I play.

They only need a light touch and ring clear. Highly recommended to try on your soprano.

I have them on my Outdoor uke, and my mom has them on one of her Sopranos. They are great strings on any uke.

Dan

I've got low-G "reds" on my pineapple soprano, great, though as noted above the nut did need some attention. Next time I need a set of hi-G strings, I'll probably give a set of "reds" a try :)

Do note the specific instructions on the manufacturer's web-site for fitting these strings. Reading "between the lines", one might guess that these strings may be more prone to sticking in the nut grooves than conventional strings. I had no problem with mine, but a little pencil lead (graphite dust) or talc may help the process and wouldn't do any harm :)

I have a re-entrant set on my Mike Pereira custom soprano. Sounds incredible.

A low G set on my Melokia solid all-mahogany pineapple soprano has made the instrument come ALIVE!

Top Bottom