Attended the 2nd session LA Music Center Ukule-Along.

KohanMike

Los Angeles, Beverly Grove West
UU VIP
Reaction score
This morning was the 2nd session of this year's Ukule-Along at the Los Angeles Music Center. It started with the entire group all together for a warm-up for about 25 minutes, then we broke up into three separate groups for an hour session of either strumming, finger picking and... oops, can't remember, but it's the one I'm taking for the next session on September 13.

After an hour of the separate group sessions, we all met again and learned and played two Elvis songs from the movie "Blue Hawaii" broken up into sections; "Easy" and "Really Easy" and "Super Easy" (as best as I can remember the titles).

There must have been a good 300 people there, all carrying on the ohana feeling promoted by the leaders. I had a great time, even though I could not keep up with the finger picking session.

Sounds like a blast. I didn't know about it...just getting back into uke. I'm in LA county and would surely take a drive downtown for such an event. Is there time/room to sign up for another session?

It was the 2nd session we've been to this Summer and this time we took Drills and Thrills. Enjoyed it and used lots of the techniques in the Elvis session that followed. This time we were able to sort of keep up with everyone in the singing and playing. I planned to do the Super Easy and ended up doing the Easy which was a bit harder but doable. Okay, now I've had the finger picking & Drills and Thrills (lots of rhythm stuff with muting and such), next will be the Cool Chords. So far, my favorite was the finger picking since it introduced something I didn't think I'd be able to do. (and I can but slowly, very slowly)

Is there time/room to sign up for another session?

Registration closed about a week before the first session in July. When we check in they have a registration list and we have to show an ID. Go to the Music Center Active Arts web site and sign up for notification of events.

What a great opportunity! I hope you learned tons and met some fun folks!

Last month at the first session this year, I learned I need to take lessons, so I signed up with the guys who run the sessions, Brad Ranola and Jason Arimoto of U-Space in Downtown LA and Anacapa Ukulele in Ventura, CA. Not only did I meet some very nice people, I also saw a number of people from the two groups to which I belong.

Registration closed about a week before the first session in July. When we check in they have a registration list and we have to show an ID. Go to the Music Center Active Arts web site and sign up for notification of events.

Oh great, thanks!

It was the 2nd session we've been to this Summer and this time we took Drills and Thrills.
Same here. Last year Jason led "Licks & Tricks" which did more to teach us neat things we could use. I wasn't so impressed by the curriculum this time, although Jason is a really good teacher and I would take a class with him any day. And for anyone who doesn't know, besides being a uke whiz, Dr. Arimoto has a PhD in Molecular Biology. :p

Not that the rhythms and strum patterns weren't useful, but I thought I got a lot more out of the first session's fingerpicking class. There wasn't the same instructor this time, though.

There are new pics from installment #2 up at their Facebook page. I saw myself in a few pics. :eek:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152266271392844.1073741869.9016392843&type=1

Top Bottom