PDA

View Full Version : Where does your Uke Group meet?

NOTLguy
08-03-2014, 01:54 AM
Our group, The Niagara-on-the-Lake Ukesters meets on Sunday afternoon in the gym of the local community centre from 3:30 - 4:30 pm. They provide us with a projection system that we connect to a laptop to display the song sheets on the wall. You can bring your own music stand and book of songs or use the projection system to follow along. We have Four sets of songs, one for each week that contain eight songs in each set. We work through the eight tunes, usually workshop a new tune and have a ten minute open mic at the end.

The fourth Sunday of the month we meet in a local pub from 2:30 pm - 5:00 pm and work through the usual 4th Set of songs and then have an hour and a half of open mic performances by members of the group.

I was wondering what type of setup your uke group has, how often you meet and where you meet etc.

Regards,
Bill

moetrout
08-03-2014, 03:02 AM
I am a member of the Tree Town Ukes in Ann Arbor. We meet the last Tuesday of the month for an hour and a half at a local music store. Most bring their own music stands and song books, but if you don't have that it is easy enough to look on with another. We usually go through our repertoire of songs and then if there is time at the end there is some open mic opportunities. We also play parades, the local farm market, and at ukulele events around the area.

sukie
08-03-2014, 05:06 AM
We meet in a coffee shop every Monday. 1st and third Mondays are jams. 2nd and 4th are kinda show what you are learning nights and the most fun. 5th Mondays are open mic nights, kinda sorta.

Wish we where at a bar but it's hard to find one that is centrally located.

Rllink
08-03-2014, 06:09 AM
I can not find a group in my area. I've asked around, searched high and low, and can't find one. I have been thinking of trying to get one started myself, but considering that I just started playing the ukulele in April, I don't know what groups even do. I have an idea though. I think that if everyone just showed up with the Daily Ukulele book, we could find a lot to do just there. But the other thing is that I live in two places, and I bounce between the two pretty randomly. I don't want to be responsible for getting something going, only to run off. Anyway, I would love to become part of a group.

Osprey
08-03-2014, 08:20 AM
The Pensacola Ukulele Players Society (PUPS) meets every Saturday morning at a local music shop. They are real supportive and lend an employee or two to lead the group. We play charity events several times a year and try to take in retirement homes especially at Christmas
Cliff

Doug W
08-03-2014, 10:12 AM
I was wondering what type of setup your uke group has, how often you meet and where you meet etc.
We meet twice a month in a church. We are starting to write 3 or 4 part arrangements for a more orchestrated sound.

I can not find a group in my area. I've asked around, searched high and low, and can't find one.... I would love to become part of a group.
It might be easier in Ames or San Juan to find groups that are already formed, not necessarily uke groups. Just any group willing to let new people come in and play along.

When we lived in Bolivia, I started getting together with a guy from Chile who played guitar and sang. I brought along my guitar and mandolin. After a few months we were 20+ Bolivians, Chilenos and Gringos playing Beatles, South American folk, rock whatever. Potluck dinners were also a part of the deal.

Tootler
08-03-2014, 10:50 AM
Middlesbrough U3A Ukulele group meet 2nd & 4th Tuesday 2 - 4pm in a local community centre. When we started, I used to do regular song sheets but other members now bring in song sheets. Several go to a class nearby and bring songs they are doing in that so we now have quite a collection. We basically jam. Someone calls a song and we play. Some sing, some don't but it's a relaxed atmosphere and we enjoy ourselves which is what it's about.

tbeltrans
08-03-2014, 12:34 PM
We meet in a coffee shop every Monday. 1st and third Mondays are jams. 2nd and 4th are kinda show what you are learning nights and the most fun. 5th Mondays are open mic nights, kinda sorta.

Wish we where at a bar but it's hard to find one that is centrally located.

I have seen the web site about these meetings (and noticed you move the location when the Twins are playing in town since you meet near Target Field) and will want to get there one day. I don't feel ready yet, since I have only been playing a month now and am focusing all my ukulele energies on finishing "Polani" so I can play it for a group of people next weekend. Then I will get more into strumming through chord progressions. I have both "Daily Ukulele" books (the normal one and the leap year version), which I understand are used at these meetings. It all sounds like great fun.

Tony

bigphil
08-03-2014, 12:47 PM
The Quad Cities Ukulele Club, Moline IL, meets at a local music store, West Music on the 1st & 3rd Mondays for about 2 hours. They let us use teaching rooms for our meetings and have also sponsored some of our events. They will also allow prospective members to use their instruments free to see if they really like it. We also work from the Daily Ukulele books and generally practice for what ever gig we have coming up.

Ukejenny
08-03-2014, 02:17 PM
The Ukulele Band of Alabama meets in my church, in one of the bigger rooms. We don't do anything projected, because we play in a circle. Everyone prints their stuff off the site and brings it. We meet the second and fourth Monday of each month. That may change, as members are wanting more jam time. We start at 6:00 and go through the song list. So far, we just play songs together, but I foresee an open mic/show and tell session being organized in our future. Maybe after we get this uke fest under our belts.

I didn't have a group to play with either and that is why I started UBA. I was lonely. It is a ton of fun and I encourage anyone to start a group - whether you are experienced or not. It will grow organically with you as you play and you can get tons of great advice from group members and leaders here on UU.

Freeda
08-03-2014, 02:32 PM
At a bar. Everyone brings 2 or more pieces of music to share. I make copies. Everyone leads the songs they bring.

ksiegel
08-03-2014, 02:47 PM
The Electric City Uke Club meets the 2nd Monday of each month from 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm in a restaurant/neighborhood store/comfy area in the oldest part of Schenectady - the Stockade- at a place called Arthur's Market, which has been operating on-and-off since the late 1700s. It is an historic building in an historic neighborhood so drafty, cold in the winter, parking is a gamble, and when the streets are plowed (a miracle in itself) it is even worse.

But the ceiling is low, and the seats aren't bad, and we do a circle - one person leads, the rest follow along. Somer folks pass out song books and collect them at the end of the night, I try to print out lead sheets, pass 'em out, and tuck the spares in my binder.

If there was another gathering once or twice a month within driving distance, I'd try to make it - just don't have the time to try and organize one.

-Kurt

(And hoping that Dick Adcock can make it down one of these nights fro the club - he's only about 15-20 miles away!)

-Kurt

Nickie
08-03-2014, 02:58 PM
I can not find a group in my area. I've asked around, searched high and low, and can't find one. I have been thinking of trying to get one started myself, but considering that I just started playing the ukulele in April, I don't know what groups even do. I have an idea though. I think that if everyone just showed up with the Daily Ukulele book, we could find a lot to do just there. But the other thing is that I live in two places, and I bounce between the two pretty randomly. I don't want to be responsible for getting something going, only to run off. Anyway, I would love to become part of a group.

I might suggest you start a Meetup Group, give your club a catchy name. That's what TBUS did. It only had a handful of members, and was wayward, until our organizer took over. Now we have 700. We meet (no, not all of us) in a clubouse of a retirement condo community for our 2nd Saturday jam sessions. It's the third meeting place we've had since I joined, we keep outgrowing them. We also meet 4th Thursdays at a local pub/eatery for Open Mic, usually about 20 of us per night. The organizers keep us busy with workshops too, plus an annual festival!

Harry122
08-03-2014, 04:19 PM
The North East Wisconsin Uke Club (https://www.facebook.com/NewUkes?ref_type=bookmark) usually meets in a large room at a local nature center. During the summer, we try to meet outside at least once. The nature center provides a projector, but we usually sit in a large circle-ish with table music stands. A bar would not work, we have several kids in our club!

kohanmike
08-03-2014, 07:04 PM
A year ago when I started playing ukulele, I've participated in the 2013 and 2104 Los Angeles Music Center summer Active Arts Ukule-Along, three Saturdays for 3 1/2 hours each. Joined the CC Strummers group out of the Culver City Senior Center, which is actually classes created by Cali Rose, twice a week, one hour each, Mondays at 3:30 pm (beginners) and Thursdays at 10 am (intermediates). It's $3 a session and she provides all the sheet music that she arranges.

It's all strum and sing along and there are about 135 members, but we usually have about 30-40 at a time. We perform from time to time, right now we're rehearsing for the Culver City annual La Balogña Fiesta at the end of August. We've done flash mobs, senior centers, assisted living residences, etc. It's "tons of fun."

I was also a member of the Westside Ukulele Ensemble, an advanced instrumental group doing three part arrangements (with a few sing along) that meets once a month at 7:30 to 9 pm in a coffee shop in West LA, and often at a couple members homes, but a couple of weeks ago I realized that I bit off more than I could chew when we were rehearsing for the LA Ukulele Expo, so I dropped out.

DownUpDave
08-04-2014, 01:49 AM
I am lucky to live just outside of Toronto which has a large and healthy uke community. I attend three different uke jams / gatherings. Corktown Uke Jam is held once a week at the Domininion Tavern, has 1500 members with 60 - 100 attending weekly. Scarborough Uke Jam is held at the Old Stone Cottage, another tavern, with 25- 30 people once every two weeks. The last one is the Rooster held once a month in the Rooster coffee house with about 20 - 25 people. All three of these are set up with the songs projected on a wall and are sing along arrangements. Two out of the three have an open mike at the end of the evening. It is because of these groups I am so addicted to the uke.:-)Nothing better than getting together with a bunch of like minded people and playing music as one.

NOTLguy
08-04-2014, 02:16 AM
I might suggest you start a Meetup Group, give your club a catchy name.

This is a great suggestion. We use a Meetup Group site as the control for the group.

http://www.meetup.com/Niagara-on-the-Lake-Ukesters/

It is a great way of announcing meetups and links to other sites.

Regards,
Bill

dhoenisch
08-04-2014, 02:19 AM
The Free Range Ukulele Society of Oak Park (FRUSOP) meets in a cafe every Thursday night. Song packets are e-mailed out to members, with some printed copies available to those that don't have one or who happen to hear of us and walk in. The cafe proudly hosts the group and, of course, food and drinks are available for purchase. It's a win/win for both entities.

Dan

bonesigh
08-04-2014, 02:37 AM
But the ceiling is low, and the seats aren't bad,

-Kurt

So, do ukulele's sound better with a low ceiling, (snicker, snicker(:)

I meet with a group that has a large member base hosted by Moses Kamai (I don't remember how many) and we have perhaps 20 to 40 people that meet on the 2nd and 4th Sundays at a cafe in Reston VA. We are the Northern VA Ukulele Society. We are a performance group and have 3 signature songs that all should learn to play by heart. The first Sunday of the month is for beginners and the 4th for jams and open mic. We go through our song set and then members lead any songs that they have brought to share. We also have a yearly ukulele festival at Lake Ann and usually are booked to play at the holidays for the Reston Town Center.

This group is a bit of a hike for me at an hour away. I have good news that I have found a place here in Berryville, VA that is willing to host us! So I will be starting a group right here. It will be at an art studio in town and the nice lady who runs the studio also has property where she has camps for kids during the summer so I will be able to host a camp next summer too (: We have a local arts center called "The Barns of Rose Hill" that hosts a lot of bands, acts, etc. Hoping to get more ukulele artists to come here to play. I know that Stu Fuch is interested in coming out.

mds725
08-04-2014, 08:09 AM
I might suggest you start a Meetup Group, give your club a catchy name....

The group I'm in, San Francisco Ukulele Rebellion (http://www.meetup.com/San-Francisco-Ukulele-Meetup/), began as, and continues to be, a meetup.com group. We used to meet at a cafe in San Francisco not far from Golden Gate Park, but the cafe doesn't have licenses from BMI, ASCAP, or the third licensing group, whose name and/or acronym I can't remember. (The cafe plays a radio when we don't meet there, and playing a radio as a form of entertainment for the public is exempt from licensing fees, which are instead paid by the radio stations.) We don't meet at the cafe any more becuse first BMI, and then ASCAP, sent the cafe cease and desist letters, stating that by permitting live performances of copyrighted songs, the cafe was violating the law. Our group paid the BMI fee for the cafe (roughly $350/year) but drew the line at the ASCAP fee (we already pay a fee to meetup.com for the use of the website). We're currently meeting outdoors, but we're looking for a new indoor venue that already has licenses.

As an aside, people in our group believe that licencing entities like BMI and ASCAP troll meetup.com looking for groups that play music in public venues and then attempt to extort licensing fees from those venues that don't already have licenses. We considered leaving meetup.com in the hope of falling under the radar of these licensing entities, but we ultimately decided that alternatives to meetup.com (for example, yahoo groups) wouldn't be as effective. I'd be curious to know whether this license fee issue has been part of the decision-making process for other groups in finding a place to meet.

janeray1940
08-04-2014, 08:44 AM
We don't meet at the cafe any more becuse first BMI, and then ASCAP, sent the cafe cease and desist letters, stating that by permitting live performances of copyrighted songs, the cafe was violating the law. Our group paid the BMI fee for the cafe (roughly $350/year) but drew the line at the ASCAP fee (we already pay a fee to meetup.com for the use of the website). We're currently meeting outdoors, but we're looking for a new indoor venue that already has licenses.

Whoa - I am so amazed to hear that this happened. I'm no legal whiz, just a librarian, but it's my understanding that the issue with the licensing groups (I've forgotten that third entity as well!) is profit rather than public performance. So I suppose it could be argued that the cafe would gain customers and make income based on your group playing songs?

One of my groups meets at a music store/concert venue that is fully in compliance with the licensing agencies. The other meets in a church facility - as kohanmike mentioned earlier, it's tied to a cafe but the group usually meets in private rooms that are not open to the public.

The only time any group I've played with has ever been told to cease and desist was years ago, when a few of us met on my lunch break in the outdoor courtyard of the office building next door to where I work - which just happens to be Universal Music. Weeks went by with no issue, then one day a Universal bigwig sat down and listened and chatted with us, admired our playing, looked at our chord sheets and asked us about copyright. Aside from the copyright bit, it seemed a friendly enough conversation; he continued to stop by and listen for a few more meetings - but then the next time we assembled, a security guy told us we were banned from the property!

As for the task of finding a venue - it can be really difficult. My group that meets in the church at first met in a coffee house/performance space - we paid to use the space and there were other concerns with safety and with acoustics, so that didn't last long. I tried places like library meeting rooms and city parks and other so-called "public" spaces, but their hourly fees were prohibitive. We considered other cafes/restaurants but nothing really seemed a good fit. We were very fortunate to stumble upon the church that lets us meet in one of their rooms free of charge - I was skeptical at first, but it's been a good arrangement for almost 3 years now.

quiltingshirley
08-04-2014, 09:03 AM
We meet in a room owned by the main library in downtown Ventura but it has a separate entrance on the 2nd & 4th Mondays' from 7-10. We all have the Yellow & Blue Daily Uke books and sit in a circle. After the midway break folks can sign up to do some solos before we start in on the 2nd book. We can download the list of songs before the meeting which does help as we all play and sing together.
We meet at a closed Beauty Salon near the beach on Tuesday nights from 7-10. We sit in a circle and usually play and sing together although some will be a solo if no one else knows it. It also has some guitars. Quite a bit of Hawaiian singing and we always close with Hawaii Aloha.
On the 1st and 3rd Fridays of the month we meet at the Wilson Senior Center in Oxnard. We all bring something for the lunch potluck. We sit in a circle with a mic and sing what we want or from books the group has made up over the years. The Wilson Strummers Book is a work in progress and we often go over and add more songs in Hawaiian. It's from 10 -1.
Other groups in our area meet at community centers at a church and Senior Center, a restaurant (where they also eat), and the Santa Barbara group meets Saturday morning at the beach. I know there's more but that's all I can recall. Songmakers is heavy on guitars and doesn't have many ukes but you can go to a meeting every day if you want. They're all over and it cost $10/yr for both of us.

dickadcock
08-05-2014, 03:11 PM
The Electric City Uke Club meets the 2nd Monday of each month from 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm in a restaurant/neighborhood store/comfy area in the oldest part of Schenectady - the Stockade- at a place called Arthur's Market, which has been operating on-and-off since the late 1700s. It is an historic building in an historic neighborhood so drafty, cold in the winter, parking is a gamble, and when the streets are plowed (a miracle in itself) it is even worse.

But the ceiling is low, and the seats aren't bad, and we do a circle - one person leads, the rest follow along. Somer folks pass out song books and collect them at the end of the night, I try to print out lead sheets, pass 'em out, and tuck the spares in my binder.

If there was another gathering once or twice a month within driving distance, I'd try to make it - just don't have the time to try and organize one.

-Kurt

(And hoping that Dick Adcock can make it down one of these nights fro the club - he's only about 15-20 miles away!)

-Kurt
I am hoping to make it there Monday. Google said it's 21 miles there, but only 14 miles back ... So I can hardly wait!
~ Dick

JooKulele
08-05-2014, 03:33 PM
The Allegheny Ukulele Kollective (http://alleghenyukes.com) meets on the 2nd Sunday of each month at the local PSU campus. One of our founders is a (and several of our members are) professor and can get us just about any space on campus free of charge. We have a member who picks 2 or 3 new songs each month to share to the club, and the rest of the time we play songs brought by other members or from our existing songbook. We ask for a $5 donation per jam which over the year covers copies, our website, etc.

ricdoug
08-06-2014, 06:37 PM
We are sooooooo deprived here in San Diego and South Orange County, California (This is a short list. There are many other smaller 'ukulele clubs in our area):

San Diego and South Orange County California area ukulele clubs:

Sunday:

5:00PM Ukulele Sundays
Molly Bloom’s
2391 S El Camino Real
San Clemente, CA
http://www.meetup.com/UkuleleSundays/

5:00PM E Kanikapila Kakou
Bubba Kahuna’s
34320 Pacific Coast Hwy
Dana Point, CA
https://sites.google.com/site/letskanikapila/

Monday:

8:00AM Sunset Strummers
McClellan Center
1400 Vale Terrace Dr
Vista, CA
http://www.cityofvista.com/departments/parks/documents/Page12_000.pdf

6:30PM Ronnie Seno and Quintinn Holi
Chris’ Ono Grinds
4651 Mission Gorge Pl.
San Diego, CA
http://www.onogrindscafe.com/index.html

Tuesday:

9:00AM StoneAge Strummers
Joslyn Center
111 Richmar Ave.
San Marcos, CA
http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/The_StoneAge_Strummers/?yguid=89084008
10:00AM Norman Park Center
270 F Street
Chula Vista, CA
http://www.chulavistaca.gov/City_Services/Community_Services/Recreation/PDFs/MarchApril2010-2.pdf

6:30PM Hau’oli Strummers
Big Kahuna’s
3780 Ingraham St.
Pacific Beach, CA
http://www.hauolistrummers.com/

6:00PM Aloha Strum
Dana Point Yacht Club

http://www.meetup.com/alohathursdays/

Wednesday:

Lake Elsinore/Wildomar Elks Lodge, Ukulele Club
33700 Mission Trl, Wildomar, CA
10:00am to 11:30am
Call Bill Bonin at 951-678-0250

6:00PM Moonlight Beach Ukulele Strummers
Today’s Pizza and Salad
481 Santa Fe Dr.
Encinitas, CA
http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/moonlightbeachukestrummers/

6:30PM Bertrand’s Music
13179-5 Black Mountain Road
San Diego, California 92129
(858) 780-1812
http://www.facebook.com/BertrandsMusic

7:00PM Hui o Hawai’i
Advanced Ukulele
752 Grand Ave.
Spring Valley, CA

Thursday:

8:00AM Sunset Strummers
1400 Vale Terrace Dr
Vista, CA
http://www.cityofvista.com/departments/parks/documents/Page12_000.pdf

6:00PM Ukulele Society of America
Stagg & Lion
850 Tamarack Ave
Carlsbad, CA
http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/ukulele_society_of_america

Friday:

Saturday:

11:00AM Momilani’s Island Traditions
1906 Oceanside Blvd. (bring your own chair)
Oceanside, CA
http://ukulele.lanaicityrental.com:8081/Andy's/

2:00PM Hui o Hawai’i
Beginner and Intermediate Ukulele (Two separate groups)
752 Grand Ave.
Spring Valley, CA

Usually around 1:30PM Ukulele Friends
Vista, California
http://www.meetup.com/Ukulele-music-group/

ricdoug
08-06-2014, 06:41 PM
A year ago when I started playing ukulele, I've participated in the 2013 and 2104 Los Angeles Music Center summer Active Arts Ukule-Along, three Saturdays for 3 1/2 hours each. Joined the CC Strummers group out of the Culver City Senior Center, which is actually classes created by Cali Rose, twice a week, one hour each, Mondays at 3:30 pm (beginners) and Thursdays at 10 am (intermediates). It's $3 a session and she provides all the sheet music that she arranges.

It's all strum and sing along and there are about 135 members, but we usually have about 30-40 at a time. We perform from time to time, right now we're rehearsing for the Culver City annual La Balogña Fiesta at the end of August. We've done flash mobs, senior centers, assisted living residences, etc. It's "tons of fun."

I was also a member of the Westside Ukulele Ensemble, an advanced instrumental group doing three part arrangements (with a few sing along) that meets once a month at 7:30 to 9 pm in a coffee shop in West LA, and often at a couple members homes, but a couple of weeks ago I realized that I bit off more than I could chew when we were rehearsing for the LA Ukulele Expo, so I dropped out.

Cali Rose is a great teacher, human and organizer. CC Strummers rock! Ric

ricdoug
08-06-2014, 06:48 PM

Contact your local 'ukulele players and see if there is any interest in meeting up:

https://www.fleamarketmusic.com/directory/state.asp?ID=13

Phluffy the Destroyer
08-06-2014, 07:40 PM
The group I play in is the North Kansas City Ukesters (NUkesters) meets in a church basement once a month. There is another group on the Kansas side of the city named the Ukesters which also meets in a church, and a lot of people attend both groups.

For NUkesters, the first hour is some sort of lesson on music theory and usually there's a song or two we'll work through to go along with the lesson. During the second hour we play whatever we want. Usually we just sort of start somewhere and go around until everyone has picked at least one song. Just about everyone has a copy of Ukulele Daily, so we just use those unless someone brings decent music...

Peterjens
08-06-2014, 10:42 PM
We have a songbook that our leader put together. We add a couple new songs each month. We also play from Beloff's Yellow Daily 'Ukulele book. No projection system just music stands and/or sitting at a tables with the sheet music.

We meet at a city senior center at no charge once a week for 90 minutes. The senior center gets extra budgeted money from the city for allowing us to use the facilities. We will often entertain at events held at the senior center - not as an obligation but because we like to play 'ukulele.

Manalishi
08-06-2014, 10:59 PM
We meet fortnightly in a local pub. The room is free,and
members have their 'songbooks' either printed out on A4
sized paper,in a ring binder, or on a tablet device which is
obviously smaller,but more portable!
We have over two hundred songs in our current book,and
add two or three every few meetings.We generally meet at
7pm and play until 9.30pm with a ten minute break around
the halfway point.We started in the pub we are using now,
but have had to move in the past owing to different owners
with different ideas.But now we are back,where we feel most
comfortable!

Sporin
08-07-2014, 04:28 AM
Upper Valley Uke Club
Meets every other Monday at the Howe Library in Hanover, NH, USA
http://www.uvukeclub.com/

We used to meet at the local music store but the space was very small and the hours didn't always work out so we moved to the library. They've been very supportive and even started a ukulele lending program. :)

mailman
08-07-2014, 04:55 AM
Our local group, the Rochester Ukulele Support Group, meets at a downtown music store on the first Thursday of each month. Bernunzio's Music is a very gracious host, and the room is free for our use. They provide chairs and some music stands, and offer the loan of ukes to noobs who may not have one. They also offer members a 10% discount at their store.

We use the Daily Ukulele books for the most part, as printing/copying song sheets became expensive and a hassle. We sit in several curved rows, facing three or four chairs where the leaders sit. We have not ventured into projection of the song sheets, although it seems much easier than lugging those books around.

We have a theme for each month, and try to find songs to fit that theme. February is always love songs, July always patriotic songs, December always holiday songs, etc. Therein lies the risk of the theme format becoming stale, IMO.

Ours is a sing-along session, often packing 20+ songs into an hour and a half meeting. We have never had any open mic sessions, or show-and-tell times, or even jam sessions. We do not have anything approaching a "lesson", although a leader may demonstrate an unfamiliar chord fingering. We crank through our song list, one after another, pretty much as quickly as we can. We have no mid-meeting break.

I'd like to see our group try some of these other ideas. I think it would help the group, in the long run....

Osprey
08-07-2014, 05:34 AM
Our group meets every Sat morning. We meet for just over an hour. We do a mix of easy songs and a hard one or two. We may spend two or three weeks on really difficult songs trying to get them down. Occasionally we will play songs we have already learned. Most of us are strum mere and singers, with one or two finger pickers for color. We generally have one bass player and a guitar player. There are generally between 25 and 40 people there each Saturday. When we have an upcoming performance we pick out about ten songs and spend a few weeks perfecting them. It is an informal group with one or two taking the lead on picking out songs based on input from the group. I will say that being a member of a group is vital yo my improvement

Peterjens
08-07-2014, 05:13 PM
Upper Valley Uke Club
Meets every other Monday at the Howe Library in Hanover, NH, USA
http://www.uvukeclub.com/

We used to meet at the local music store but the space was very small and the hours didn't always work out so we moved to the library. They've been very supportive and even started a ukulele lending program. :)
Lending program=aloha

quiltingshirley
08-07-2014, 07:08 PM
Our library in Ventura also has lending ukuleles. I think there's still a waiting list to check one out.

YorkSteve
08-07-2014, 09:42 PM
Our little group, the Minster Ukes, meets at the Minster Inn, York (that's the old one, in England). Every Tuesday night, 7.30 to about 9ish. It is one of the best pubs in the land, let alone York - good beer, several small rooms, no piped music or televisions. A haven.

Everyone is welcome. We have about 30-40 songs which we tackle with mixed success, and every few weeks someone brings along a new one to add to the mix. The emphasis is on enjoying it rather than getting it 100% right.

ralphk
08-08-2014, 07:35 AM
our small club meets in the back room of a pizza joint, on Thursday evenings. No problems with other pizza shop guests, but it can be a bit noisy with oven doors clanging and staff talking loudly to each other.

ukegirl
08-08-2014, 09:40 AM
Free range ukulele society. Oak park Illinois at the eastgate cafe. Every Thursday from 7-9.

pinkuke
08-08-2014, 02:23 PM
The Peninsula Ukulele Group, PUGs, meets twice a month on the 1st and 3rd Wednesdays in San Carlos, CA, which is in the San Francisco Peninsula area. One meeting is at Noelani's Bar and Lounge on the back patio area. The second meeting is at the Trinity Presbyterian Church. We're a smaller (43), newer group that likes to have fun! We are growing rapidly. We use Meetup.com to download the playlists and send meeting notices out. We have a Spotify playlist for our group with the songs on each month's playlist, to help learn the melodies for those unfamiliar with the songs. Please join us if you are in the SF area! UU has been an important resource for our members. :)

itsme
08-08-2014, 04:22 PM
There's a monthly meetup on the outdoor patio of a coffee shop in Montrose. Another pretty regular one at a backyard in Altadena. And some others that are less frequent/sporadic.

I enjoy any chance to get together with other ukers, but the casual backyard gatherings are really nice. We bring snacks to share during a break (something you don't do when your host is in the business of selling food and beverages). :)

Dan Uke
08-08-2014, 07:07 PM
That's cool Itsme. I'm more into the social part of any meetups

There's a monthly meetup on the outdoor patio of a coffee shop in Montrose. Another pretty regular one at a backyard in Altadena. And some others that are less frequent/sporadic.

I enjoy any chance to get together with other ukers, but the casual backyard gatherings are really nice. We bring snacks to share during a break (something you don't do when your host is in the business of selling food and beverages). :)

Gillian
08-09-2014, 08:12 PM
The group I'm in, San Francisco Ukulele Rebellion (http://www.meetup.com/San-Francisco-Ukulele-Meetup/), began as, and continues to be, a meetup.com group. We used to meet at a cafe in San Francisco not far from Golden Gate Park, but the cafe doesn't have licenses from BMI, ASCAP, or the third licensing group, whose name and/or acronym I can't remember. (The cafe plays a radio when we don't meet there, and playing a radio as a form of entertainment for the public is exempt from licensing fees, which are instead paid by the radio stations.) We don't meet at the cafe any more becuse first BMI, and then ASCAP, sent the cafe cease and desist letters, stating that by permitting live performances of copyrighted songs, the cafe was violating the law. Our group paid the BMI fee for the cafe (roughly $350/year) but drew the line at the ASCAP fee (we already pay a fee to meetup.com for the use of the website). We're currently meeting outdoors, but we're looking for a new indoor venue that already has licenses.

As an aside, people in our group believe that licencing entities like BMI and ASCAP troll meetup.com looking for groups that play music in public venues and then attempt to extort licensing fees from those venues that don't already have licenses. We considered leaving meetup.com in the hope of falling under the radar of these licensing entities, but we ultimately decided that alternatives to meetup.com (for example, yahoo groups) wouldn't be as effective. I'd be curious to know whether this license fee issue has been part of the decision-making process for other groups in finding a place to meet.

Mark,

I didn't know about this licensing thing at all. If I'm understanding your post correctly, any uke club that meets in a cafe/pizza parlour/restaurant/bar/music store, etc., should ask the manager if that establishment has a license from BMI/ASCAP to permit the playing of copyrighted songs, which most songs are. If the answer is no, then the uke club might subject the establishment to a cease and desist order.

I filled out the forms and sent in the fee to the State and now have a piece of paper saying our club is an unincorporated non-profit organization. I did that so that if ever we had to use a local library or community centre (which charge enormous room rental fees) we could get the much cheaper rate they offer to non-profit organizations.

I wonder if that non-profit designation would also stave off a cease and desist order from these licensing groups. I'll ask our uke club member who is also a lawyer.

bunnyf
08-10-2014, 12:07 AM
Interesting thread. I lead a uke cub in SW Florida and we currently meet in my condo's club house, so no infringement problems there, but I am moving soon and am starting to scout out new locations for our meetups. We have too many players in season (winter snowbirds) to use my new house and I had thought a local pub would be a good choice but now I wonder. Cover music does seem to be common around here though and I am doubting that any of the small establishment that have live music have obtained any special licenses. I imagine enforcement really depends where you live.

The other thing I'm considering is the general tone that a venue adds to your club. I, personally, think that a pub (perhaps on a slower weeknight time slot) would be a more fun meetup, thinking drinking, playing music and singing all go together nicely (the whole social lubricant thing) but I wonder if venues really want folks sitting at tables for a couple of hours and only ordering a few drinks (hard to order food and uke). Also, beginners may be a little put off by playing in a more public setting.

frugalaudio
05-23-2015, 08:17 AM
I know this is an older thread, but it came up when I searched the site for ASCAP references. The issue just came up here in Buffalo. The group here ( http://www.meetup.com/BuffaloUkuleleClub/ ) meets twice a month, once in a private room at a community center, the other in a small locally owned coffee house. The ASCAP Gestapo recently paid a visit and put the screws to the coffee house. As I understand it, the current idea is to play only public domain material at the coffee house.

As an aside, I've worked in and around the music business for thirty years more or less. I'm all for artists, composers, musicians making a living from their work. Unfortunately, what ASCAP does with performance fee collection doesn't serve performers, composers, or audiences very well. If you are an ASCAP member, with copyrighted compositions being performed in public venues, unless you're on the level of say, Springsteen or McCartney, chances are you'll never see a dime in revenue from those licensing fees. I suspect it's the same with BMI & SESAC (that's the third one).

mds725
05-23-2015, 11:10 AM
I know this is an older thread, but it came up when I searched the site for ASCAP references. The issue just came up here in Buffalo. The group here ( http://www.meetup.com/BuffaloUkuleleClub/ ) meets twice a month, once in a private room at a community center, the other in a small locally owned coffee house. The ASCAP Gestapo recently paid a visit and put the screws to the coffee house. As I understand it, the current idea is to play only public domain material at the coffee house.

As an aside, I've worked in and around the music business for thirty years more or less. I'm all for artists, composers, musicians making a living from their work. Unfortunately, what ASCAP does with performance fee collection doesn't serve performers, composers, or audiences very well. If you are an ASCAP member, with copyrighted compositions being performed in public venues, unless you're on the level of say, Springsteen or McCartney, chances are you'll never see a dime in revenue from those licensing fees. I suspect it's the same with BMI & SESAC (that's the third one).

We stopped playing at our regular venue, a coffeehouse, because it got cease and desist letters from ASCAP, BMI, and SESAC. We paid for the first license (I think it was BMI), but decided to leave after the second and third letters came in. We now play in a cafe that already has licenses, but I feel bad for the owner of the coffeehouse, who liked having us play but was uncomfortable with our paying for her licenses. I firmly believe that BMI, ASCAP, and SESAC employees scour meetup.com specifically looking for groups that state that they meet in venues open to the public to play music and then hit up the venues. I also believe that these employees are paid a commission for the number of licenses they bring in. I would like to have sued them all (I happen to be an attorney and I believe that the coffeehouse came within one or more of the exceptions to licensing under the federal law authorizing the licenses), but the coffeehouse would have had to have been the plaintiff and I don't wish litigation on anyone.

itsme
05-23-2015, 11:31 AM
I firmly believe that BMI, ASCAP, and SESAC employees scour meetup.com specifically looking for groups that state that they meet in venues open to the public to play music and then hit up the venues.
That makes a lot of sense. It's also a good reason to show your meeting location only to members of the group.

Lori
05-23-2015, 12:48 PM
We are very lucky. We have a meeting room, that has a coffee shop and church as the host. Since we are playing for ourselves in a private room, no problem with public performance fees. I started a beginning uke group at the local YMCA, and they have very nice meeting rooms (and it's free for members to attend).

–Lori

gkygrl
05-23-2015, 02:01 PM
I live in Southwest FL and I found our Suncoast Sandflea group (love that name) through a Meetup. We use the Daily Ukulele books and meet at a music store that sells ukes and world percussion. So much fun. We meet one Friday evening per month but some of us have started playing elsewhere as well.

I'm new to the instrument after a life of guitar and drums. WHAT A GREAT LITTLE INSTRUMENT. Love it!!!

Nickie
05-25-2015, 04:57 PM
....we play in a dark alley back of a house of ill repute....by candlelight....