Sanding off a headstock logo?

l3uffer

Reaction score
Hey guys, I was curious about being able to sand off a logo - I saw strumsilly's post about his Martin and how the logo was taken off and I wondered if I could do the same to my Kala?
http://www.theukulelesite.com/ka-smlt-new-lite-series-tenor-slothead-solid-okoume-wood.html
Anyone have any ideas as to how I could do that? I understand I would have to refinish the sanded area, but anyone have any specifics as to what I should get and how I should do this as a little DIY customization project? xD
Thanks!

If its a sticker then you can sand it off easily. Or if you want also cover it with a wood veneer or look up 3m di-noc wood

The headstock veneer is very thin and it is easy to sand through. You also then have a difference in the finish on one of the most visable parts of the instrument. If you really want to it you might first try to remove it by scoring it and getting it wet. That might loosing the glue.

Also remember that this will greatly reduce resale value. (I have hear that some people will sell their ukes. God knows I dont!)

sand, scrape, lick.

On the flip side, if you want to save an old logo but have to make a new neck it- band saw off the top layer of the headstock/veneer, sand flat and re glue/use on the new neck.

Thanks guys! I think it might be a sticker, but I remember once I tried to get under and peel it off, I ended up denting the headstock a bit with my fingernail... hahaha!
I figured that since it is a satin finish I might be able to refinish it with a few coats of oil... then again, not all finishes are created equal. Upon these posts, I think I might just try and refinish the upper part of the headstock/the entire face of the headstock to make it even lol
What's scoring, by the way? Also, how would I go about sanding the top? What grits of sandpaper would I use?

Also remember that this will greatly reduce resale value. (I have heard that some people will sell their ukes. God knows I don't!)
I know right? It's like trying to sell your kid... or more realistically, your beloved pet... it's inhumane! xD

Oh, this isn't a Martin IZ uke thread?

I'll get my coat...

I could see doing that....knowing I may make a mess of it too. I would sand with 320 grit to take it off and then put a new finish on it (Tru oil?).

I'd like to see the process and finished results, post some pictures this sounds really interesting.

Looks like a sticker from the photos. Try scraping it off with a razor and naphtha. You can get both at any Home Depot or hardware store that sells paint and wallpaper supplies. The naphtha (or lighter fluid) will dissolve most adhesives. Wipe some on with a q-tip, scrape around the edges, wipe some more on, scrape some more.

I'm wondering of they do a concert size. I've read several posts on how to remove it, but haven't tried any yet: https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=removing+a+decal+from+a+headstock

Sheeesh! I had no idea that so many people were unhappy with their instrument logos. Once you buy something you can disfigure it any way you like, but removing a logo still seems vaguely dishonest to me. Not as bad as putting a bootleg logo on a no-name instrument, but along the same lines.

Yeah, I was wondering why 13uffer wanted to remove the logo anyway. If one bought a Kala, he has a Kala! Next time buy a better one, or a more expensive one, or one like your buddy's, or whatever. But if you must, just paint over the logo and tell everyone that it's a Kamaka.

I did this to a guitar of mine. It was a present from an ex and her name was Laura. The guitar maker is Lauren. It was a pawn shop special so it got sanded down and sprayed black, the whole guitar. The logo is now my initials that I stenciled on. If the guitar was a Martin and her name was Martina I would have delt with it.

If a logo bothered me that much, I'd sell the uke and use the money towards something I really liked.
Some things to also keep in mind:
- your time has value
- basically destroys resale
- even the most unattractive decal looks better than a screwed-up headstock

I had a friend whose son broke his headstock off a cheap import and she brought it to me to repair. It wasn't worth the repair but it was his dad's and there's a story behind it so I agreed to do it. I decided to sand the logo off, not even sure what it was supposed to be, and put a sticker on bearing his dad's name. I'm normally a stickler for proper representation but seeing how I wasn't tying to pass it off as a major brand, I wasn't too concerned abut it.

Hahaha okay so I guess I should explain myself a little bit:

One - it was just a thought!... not sure if I'll actually follow through with it (especially because said uke is away on "vacation," i.e. with a friend as I'm preparing to study abroad... I can't take any of my "kids" with me! lol)

Two - it's not that I hate Kala or anything, but I feel as though the black stamped logo kind of detracts from the beauty of the instrument. If it blended in more, I wouldn't mind it much, but it seems like a (no offense, this is totally exaggerated) black smear on the headstock sometimes hahaha
If this were a Kamaka/Kanile'a/whatever and the logo bugged me as well, I still would -think- about removing it! But then again, those logos tend to blend in with the instrument, or at least stick out and not look too fugly. Kanile'a's white logo on a black headstock seems nice, even though it "sticks out." If the Kala logo was like the one here (http://www.theukulelesite.com/kala-ka-kcg-koa-concert-slothead-gloss.html), I don't think I would touch it because it agrees with me stylistically.
Plus, I'll always have the little Kala logo on the piece of paper glued inside the body (which I also considered removing, because for some reason, the frilly flower stuff on the edges of the paper don't agree with me)

Three - I don't care much about resale; I'm not one to sell my ukes off (I'm more inclined to buy than sell! xD), and if I were to downsize, I would give it away before I sell it for a profit. Not that there's anything wrong with selling ukes, I'm just stupidly sentimental that way. Hahah!
Now, if I were to take off all brand identification and attempt to resell the instrument as my own, then that would be really dishonest... but I don't think that'll ever happen!

Lastly - it was only a thought! I'm sure I'm not the first one to consider scratching off a logo, and I'm sure I won't be the last! xD
But really, for those who are disgusted with me (or not), please state your opinion! I'd like to hear it (minus any personal attacks, if possible :D)!

Last edited:
Top Bottom