PDA

View Full Version : pick use

georgeriley
08-04-2014, 05:52 AM
I know im not suppose to but i prefer to use a pick on my ukes but want i need to know is can i buy a scratch plate for a uke i cant find any

Jon Moody
08-04-2014, 06:08 AM
I don't know if they make any precut pickguards for the ukulele, but you can easily buy a 1ply sheet from All Parts or Stewart Macdonald no problem, and then cut to size.

Dan Uke
08-04-2014, 06:24 AM
Just use those ipad protective screen sheets and cut to size.

georgeriley
08-04-2014, 06:41 AM
mm some interesting ideas thankyou

SailingUke
08-04-2014, 06:44 AM
I have also used the screen guards for a cell phone.
They come in a three pack, so I used the extras from the phone and the ones left over from previous phones.

Shorebird
08-04-2014, 06:45 AM
I just use felt picks

Icelander53
08-04-2014, 07:00 AM
Yeah felt picks work well for ukes but I just can't get used to using a pick although I haven't tried very hard. I don't think it's incorrect to use a pick however. Whatever you like is correct imo.

actadh
08-04-2014, 08:04 AM
The Epiphone Les Paul ukulele has a pick guard. Perhaps you can contact the the company for the part.

Wicked
08-04-2014, 08:32 AM
I know im not suppose to but i prefer to use a pick on my ukes but want i need to know is can i buy a scratch plate for a uke i cant find any

Who said that you aren't supposed to use a pick?

KnowsPickin
08-04-2014, 10:22 AM
I could be wrong. but I don't think ukes pick up the kind of heavy scratching you'd get on a guitar. I do use a pick, but I'm not too aggressive either.

Personally, I would not worry about a little pick wear. I think that kind of "patina" just shows off how much you play. So unless you are Willie Nelson or Pete Townshend, I'd just play it proudly and not care.

UkerDanno
08-04-2014, 12:02 PM
I started out with a felt pick and think it helped me get strumming down, but eventually moved away from them.

kypfer
08-04-2014, 12:26 PM
For melody work I'll usually use a thin nylon pick, specifically a "Jim Dunlop" 0.46mm. A felt pick can be used, but due to it's thickness one needs to be very accurate to prevent playing adjacent strings by mistake. Personally I find anything stiffer sounds too harsh, certainly on a soprano or concert ukulele. A felt pick can be really great for thrashing out chords, no risk of damaging the ukulele and a very consistent sound :)

I've had no success with thumb/finger picks on a ukulele. I think, to my ear, they are simply too stiff. I clawhammer and finger-pick just with my nails ... if I break one I don't finger-pick for a while!

Having said all that, I'm also quite happy to strum along with my thumb, but I do admit I rarely play anything that I feel would benefit from the "traditional" index-finger strumming style, but I don't discount it, it works very well in context ... just not for me :)

Ukuleleblues
08-04-2014, 01:03 PM
Here is a thin one you could trim down. .025 is about the thickness of 3 pieces of cardstock.

http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_Parts/All_Hardware_and_Parts_by_Instrument/Acoustic_Guitar/Pickguards/Acoustic_Pickguard_Blanks.html

Here is one that is removable, does not say how thick.

http://www.lmii.com/products/mostly-not-wood/pickguard-material/removable-pickguards

More selection of thin pick guard material.

http://www.lmii.com/products/mostly-not-wood/pickguard-material/pickguard-sheets

Just remember to pay attention to which side is up when cutting it out, else you will end up with a left handed pick guard (Anyone need a left handed pickguard for 1939 Orpheum Archtop Guitar? PM me :)).

SteveZ
08-04-2014, 02:07 PM
For melody work I'll usually use a thin nylon pick, specifically a "Jim Dunlop" 0.46mm. A felt pick can be used, but due to it's thickness one needs to be very accurate to prevent playing adjacent strings by mistake. Personally I find anything stiffer sounds too harsh, certainly on a soprano or concert ukulele. A felt pick can be really great for thrashing out chords, no risk of damaging the ukulele and a very consistent sound :)

I've had no success with thumb/finger picks on a ukulele. I think, to my ear, they are simply too stiff. I clawhammer and finger-pick just with my nails ... if I break one I don't finger-pick for a while!

Having said all that, I'm also quite happy to strum along with my thumb, but I do admit I rarely play anything that I feel would benefit from the "traditional" index-finger strumming style, but I don't discount it, it works very well in context ... just not for me :)

Agree on the thumb-strumming and the use of thin picks on ukuleles. What works on steel-stringed mandolins, guitars and banjos designed for pick use can be overkill on nylon-stringed ukuleles if not done with care. I like the sound that a pick creates (depending on the song), but have to be careful not to over-drive it (a tendency coming from steel-stringed stuff) as that's when damage can occur.