Any reason guitar players should use GCEA ...

I have played guitar for more than 30 years. I just use my ukuleles in the tuning they were in when I got them. I really like re-entrant tuning because it is so different from guitar so "muscle memory" does not interfere with going in a new direction musically. I also have one ukulele in low G tuning because there is a lot of good music happening there too. That is the only difference between my two ukuleles in terms of tuning, which octave the 4th (G) string is in. I don't know if I will explore other tunings, since I am still learning the seemingly standard tuned ukulele.

One thing I will say is that I am learning ukulele on its own terms, rather than trying to relate it to the guitar. I don't ever think about the ukulele as being like a guitar capo'ed at the 5th fret other than occasionally seeing reference to that here. I would find that really confusing, where treating the ukulele as a completely different instrument seems more straightforward to me. I want to leave all the guitar "baggage" behind me when I pick up the ukulele and start with a clean slate. I find that approach refreshing and inspiring.

Tony

Tony, that's a good point and one I thought of but couldn't really evaluate before the fact.

In my case it's a more direct connection since I play a Tacoma Papoose, whose standard tuning is A D F# B E A.

rather than tuning to the 5th fret of a guitar: A D F# B ?
you can tune them that way. in the past it was a popular way to tune them, commonly called D tuning. In fact, some sopranos sound better tuned that way, and many people still do.

Nope, that's why you tune the A string by playing the E string at the fifth fret.

A guitar is normally tuned EADGBE, where the E and the A are low strings. We uke player only have the equivalent of DGBE (bariton tuning). Transposing that to the fifth fret, you go from D -> Eb -> E -> F -> F# -> G, so you end up with GCEA, and not A D F# B.

Last edited:
Why care how it's tuned. A chord shape is a chord shape; just the key is different.

If you want to play it like a guitar, tune it like a baritone in G tuning.

If you want to play a four stringed sounding guitar, buy a tenor guitar or baritone.

Ha, nevermind. You can tell I'm a drummer, the notes at the fifth fret of a guitar are A D G C E A.

I don't know why I saw that alt uke tuning and thought it translated to the fifth fret of the guitar.

Standard tuning it is!

I've played guitar since the mid '60's, mostly chord-strumming and a bit of folky/bluesey finger-picking and, like others, I effectively treat the ukulele as a different instrument. I don't consider the limited range caused by the re-entrant tuning to be a problem, moreso the bonus, none of that bassy donk-donk-donk to get in the way of the bright shiny trebles :)

Having similar chord-shapes to a guitar can help, admittedly, but I shift from guitar to ukulele to banjo to mandolin with gay abandon and rarely find the different chord-shapes to be an issue, I simply consider myself to be playing in a different key depending on which instrument I'm holding ... different key, different chord shapes ... works for me !

A guitar capo'd at the fifth fret can only be an approximation to a ukulele. The extra bass strings can "get in the way", the capo can "get in the way", and the whole resonance of the larger body just makes it sound like a guitar being played "up the neck", simply no real comparision :)

I have just taken a 6 string banjo banjitar ..gitjo ..spawn of satan... whatever ...and moved the DGBE into the middle four string slots ....I tried it with ADF# B tuning ...shitty vid here for a larf http://youtu.be/RuK3mCrTpZ4 too bassy so I moved the strings.........anyway I have now managed to completely lose the plot and cannot remember what point I was trying to make ....what a tosser I am !!!!!!!

Oh yes ..the relationship between uke and git is the DGBE tuning part ...the intervals translate to GCEA eventually.........

Is there a nurse here ...I think I might have forgotten my meds again...............

Tony, that's a good point and one I thought of but couldn't really evaluate before the fact.

In my case it's a more direct connection since I play a Tacoma Papoose, whose standard tuning is A D F# B E A.

A what ? Is that some sort of abuse of a Native American Child carrying vehicle ?

(forgive me ....I'm English ...so may not be aware ....I mean aware of any sensitivities surrounding the subject of my fun poking ....Jeez ...do you have to put a disclaimer on everything??)

...and does anybody know the South American instrument...ukulele sized ...10 stringed (5 doubles) made traditionally from a dil....... no sorry ...an Armadillo

...now made from wood ? They are brill....(this bit is actual serious question....for a change)

Jim you are a First Class Dude......... the Tacoma Papoose is a new one on me ....I saw a very excellent duo ..one Chilean and one English guy playing South American music recently and was very struck by the uke like instrument ..which I spoke to him at some length about ...and forgot the bloody name of .....excellent liitttlee instrument ...Thanks

I also have to confess that my curiosity was piqued because I read the thread entry as ...."Any Reason, Guitar Players ?"..........which I thought was a fair enough question in it's own right .........but that's just nasty ole me....

For what it's worth, here's my Papoose with its Jumbo big brother:

1924657_10202465112802238_1988599754_n.jpg

For what it's worth, here's my Papoose with its Jumbo big brother:

1924657_10202465112802238_1988599754_n.jpg

Hell fire ...the kid would end up like a sliced egg on a salad if you tried to fit him/her in the big one .....the little one is kind of cute.....

hang on mmmm egg on salad ....

Nah seriously (what ,me ...c'mon I CAN be ..just don' wanna ) I am intrigued by all these stringy thingies ...as I may have mentioned earlier i am trying to converty a six string banjo abomination into a baritone steel string banjo .....by removing two strings .....mwahahaha...might adjust the nut and bridge if it sounds half right .....

Ha, nevermind. You can tell I'm a drummer, the notes at the fifth fret of a guitar are A D G C E A.

I don't know why I saw that alt uke tuning and thought it translated to the fifth fret of the guitar.

Standard tuning it is!

It is, but you were thinking it was the last 4 strings of the guitar instead of the 1st four strings. A "D" chord on a guitar (xx0232) is a "G" chord on the ukulele (0232) in GCEA tuning. Even as a guitar player, I played ukulele for an embarrasingly long time before I realized that. :)

It is, but you were thinking it was the last 4 strings of the guitar instead of the 1st four strings. A "D" chord on a guitar (xx0232) is a "G" chord on the ukulele (0232) in GCEA tuning. Even as a guitar player, I played ukulele for an embarrasingly long time before I realized that. :)

Oh come on........you never did? Really ......well ....ummm me too.....oops:rolleyes:

Top Bottom