FS: Ca. 1920s Unis

Status
Not open for further replies.

billbarol

Reaction score
This one’s a bit of a mystery, and I got swept up in that aspect of it, but then found that I wasn’t playing it very much.

So who was Unis? Chuck, the guy who answers questions at Flea Market’s Uke Yak, has had good things to say about them (search Uke Yak for “Unis” at https://www.fleamarketmusic.com/uke-yak/uke-yak-search.asp and you’ll see what I mean). Even he doesn’t know much about them, though. It may be an island uke; it may have been made on the mainland for sale in the islands. It may have been a hotel giveaway. The label and body shape suggest the teens to the '20s. It was fun and sort of startling to research this one, considering how much good historic info is out there. Unis is just one of those makers about whom nobody seems to know very much.

It was sold to me as a Koa uke. It may be, but the luthiers at McCabe’s here in Santa Monica felt it was more likely a figured mahogany. It’s a lovely wood in any event, and in very good shape, with two caveats: There are a couple of shallow splits on the back, although neither appears to my ears to affect playability; there's also a small amount of crazing, consistent with a uke of this age.The tuners have been replaced with modern ones. I put new Aquilas on it. It’s a nice player, and it really has that '20s-era charm.

$149 takes it, inc. shipping to CONUS only.

UPDATE 8/13/14: Price reduction to $129. Also, pics vanished from this original post at some point, so I reposted them below. Take a look, and feel free to PM me with any questions.

Attachments

• IMG_7075.jpg
    IMG_7075.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_7076.jpg
    IMG_7076.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_7080.jpg
    IMG_7080.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_7086.jpg
    IMG_7086.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
From the look of it, I'm betting someone will get their money's worth. Lots of very similar looking ukes on Google Images. Wonder if it's one of those models made for several different companies/music stores/makers of other instruments, etc. by ?????????

I wouldn't be surprised if Unis was a retailer and this was made for them to be sold under their brand. But I haven't been able to confirm that theory.

Thanks for pointing this out. The 12th fret is indeed missing. That's the way the uke came to me, so unfortunately I don't have it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom