Ukuleles in Hawaii

basilfire5

Reaction score
I'm new here, so hello everyone . I am currently on holiday/vacation and wanted to purchase a ukulele, as I'm just beginning to play it seriously, and needed an upgradeon my kala ka-cem. My price range is $400 and have found two longneck soprano ukuleles that interest me, first is an ali'i which there isn't much information on, but it is solid koa, designed in Hawaii but manufactured in the Philippines. This is $350, the second is a keli'i silver longneck ukulele, which has a Koa top but mahogany sides and back, though it is mainly made in Hawaii which costs $375, and a little in China. My main question is which to go for, ali'i seems better but there is no information on the company, whereas, keli'i seems like a well respected brand.

I'm in Waikiki and have looked at 2 ukulele pua pua stores, one Bob's ukulele and a random shop in my hot (which has the ali'i), any other possible Ile suggestions would be appreciated, and I'm sorry if this thread is in the wrong thread, it is only myfirst time!

Thanks

Go to Hawaii Music Supply. Best ukulele dealer on Oahu, perhaps on Earth.

Third for HMS. Andrew is a great guy. They'll hook you up with a perfect fit.

Go to Hawaii Music Supply. Best ukulele dealer on Oahu, perhaps on Earth.

Possibly on Earth. I live in Singapore and prefer buying ukes from HMS.

I'm new here, so hello everyone . I am currently on holiday/vacation and wanted to purchase a ukulele, as I'm just beginning to play it seriously, and needed an upgradeon my kala ka-cem. My price range is $400 and have found two longneck soprano ukuleles that interest me, first is an ali'i which there isn't much information on, but it is solid koa, designed in Hawaii but manufactured in the Philippines. This is $350, the second is a keli'i silver longneck ukulele, which has a Koa top but mahogany sides and back, though it is mainly made in Hawaii which costs $375, and a little in China. My main question is which to go for, ali'i seems better but there is no information on the company, whereas, keli'i seems like a well respected brand.

I'm in Waikiki and have looked at 2 ukulele pua pua stores, one Bob's ukulele and a random shop in my hot (which has the ali'i), any other possible Ile suggestions would be appreciated, and I'm sorry if this thread is in the wrong thread, it is only myfirst time!

Thanks

Hey welcome! Lucky you to be near HMS and other great stores. I hope you find just what you're after. I sit around much of the day dream shopping ukes and I've not come across ali'i so it is a little bit off the radar. That doesn't mean it's not a great one however. If I was picking without playing I'd likely go with the known brand but if you get to play both then just get the one that you like to play and sounds best to your ear.

And yes I vote HMS if you want a huge selection and expert advice and set ups. It's a dream of mine to one day walk in the door of that store and maybe even get to say hi to Andrew.

You may want to take a tour of the Kamaka Ukulele factory, just FYI. It is like twice a week at like 10:30 AM. When I was there, I took it. I think it was Grandpa Fred Kamaka who leads the tours.

Islander is the import brand for Kanilea (factory in Kaneohe). I heard Kanilea also gives free factory tours. But I did not go on any.

Pono is the import brand for Koolau (factory in Wahiawa). I like Pono, because they also come with that truss rod in the neck.

And I think the import brand for Ko Aloha is like Ka Aloha.

I do agree that you should checkout Hawaii Music Supply (Haleiwa on the North Shore). The thing with Hawaii Music Supply is that they do that "set up" job for all their ukulele. IMHO, the hand-made name brands (Kamaka, Kanilea, Koolau, Koaloha, etc.) do not need these "set up" jobs, be cause they are very carefully finished. And I believe that the import brands of these hand-made name brands (Islander/Kanilea, Pono/Koolau, etc.) are also very well finished/set-up. But I think for those import brands that do not come "backed" by these hand-made name brands ... Kala, Luna, Lanikai, Cordoba, etc. (actualy not 100% sure that these are all import brands) these are the ones that really benefit from the "set up" finish job HMS does for free.

After a few months, I had some buzzing on a Cordoba I got from HMS. They re-did or tweaked the "set up," for free, and I have not had any problems for over a year and a half.

Here is a database on ukulele makers:

http://www.ukulelecorner.co.uk/i-j-k

Last edited:
I'll echo the other recommendations and say HMS is the best shop on island.

I would definitely stop by the KoAloha factory as well. They have nice discounts on factory seconds, which usually have very minor blemishes. They are still covered by their excellent warranty. They may have a good deal on an Opio in your price range.

I'll second, third, fourth, etc., the above comments, go to HMS they will get you fixed up! Stop by the Koaloha factory too!

Hawaii Music Supply, they treat you like family. I love that store and Andrew is a really nice guy, and the crew he has are awesome.

You might want to consider having whoever you buy it from ship it home for you. That would keep it out of the baggage handling gorrilla's paws. Some folks have carried on the uke but personally I hate fighting for overhead space, especially with something precious.

(+1 on HMS - Dey dah best!)

You might want to consider having whoever you buy it from ship it home for you. That would keep it out of the baggage handling gorrilla's paws. Some folks have carried on the uke but personally I hate fighting for overhead space, especially with something precious.

(+1 on HMS - Dey dah best!)

With a concert or long neck soprano his really isn't an issue. If you have a window seat it will easily fit alongside your legs too. Enjoy shopping. Bagging an ukulele in the islands is an unforgettable treat and a story to tell for a long time.

Hawaii Music Supply. I've been there twice and have a KoAloha and a Kala to show for it. Excellent price, service and selection. I'm going back to Hawaii again in October and my wife is already wondering what I'll be bringing home this time.

Since you already have a ukulele and are now getting serious, my advice is to buy the best ukulele you can find that fits into your budget, but not necessarily your current $400 budget. But maybe a $600-$700 down the road budget. Doesn't have to be thousands.

Go to HMS and play more than what is just in your current range, play ones that are a little more expensive and then decide if you want that upgrade today or a better upgrade tomorrow. If you can't get a K brand, or may never want to ever spend that much, Pono's seem to get excellent reviews. It is not uncommon to settle on something in the moment, I've done it. I don't want to rain on your parade, but you want to find a ukulele that you will enjoy playing 5 years from now and not one that you will want to upgrade in 6 months.

John

Without a doubt, go to HMS. Try everything in your price range and maybe a little above. Buy the one that has the best feel and tone to you, regardless of the brand. Andrew and the folks will help you out and give you a great setup.

If you can get to the north shore, Hawaii Music Supply is your place. However, I just bought a Kala Ka-ATP-CTG from Good Guys Music, which is walking distance from Waikiki. It was under $300 and it sounds great. Its not a hand made in Hawaii uke, but it fits your budget. FWIW, I also went to the stores you mentioned and the one that carried this one was $40 more. I carried it on the plane and there was lots of room in the overhead so it had a place all to itself. It got home to Portland safe and sound. Some day I'll have that Kamaka I've always wanted.

In your price range, its easy.....HMS. They wont steer you wrong! Also, take the Kamaka tour, its free!!

Top Bottom