The Albatros Uke

finkdaddy

Reaction score
I don't know if it's cool to post finished stuff in this forum or not, but I really wanted to show this one to express my sincere thank you to all of the wonderful builders here that have taught me so much over the past couple of years. I literally could have not done this without you all! I started off knowing nothing and, once I found this specific forum, I gained the courage to give it a shot. Then, after building my first wooden tank that could possibly survive a nuclear strike, I gleaned as much info as I could from you guys and gals and now can make a fairly decent instrument. So again, THANK YOU!!!

Here is a uke I just finished for a good friend who lives on the east coast. She only said she wanted something with a nautical theme and she'd like to have an albatros on it somewhere. So this is what we came up with.
017.jpg018.jpg020.jpg021.jpg025.jpg
The body is koa, fretboard is ebony, neck is mahogany, and the binding is bloodwood. The inlays are all mixed pieces of scrap and shell that I've been collecting for a while, as I'm sure we all do.
Thank you for everything!

~Fred

Last edited:
Looks very nice, you clearly have much more patience than me to have done all that inlay work. I particularly like your albatros. I had a look at your link and liked what I saw there too. Am I right in thinking that you have now made about 15 ukes in total?

Thank you, everyone!

Greenscoe, this one was #22. I haven't updated my blog in ages. :eek:

Last edited:
I love the line and anchor idea on the fretboard. It is really a beautiful instrument. You are to be congratulated, and you have one lucky friend.

that is niiiiice. well done

Thank you, everyone!:D Even if it looked ordinary, I would still be saying this has been my favorite so far because it sounds and plays like a dream. I don't want to ship this one out!

I really love the wood inlay. I wish more builders would use wood inlay as it is very understated and beautiful, and doesn't have the "bling" factor that shell inlay can have.

Awesome! One would think you have been building these babies for decades. Congrats.

Top Bottom