Northern ukulele?

moetrout

Reaction score
I picked up a Northern Ukulele from a guy on CL last night. I can't seem to find much info on this uke. The soundhole sticker only says Northern and no other info. I was told he purchased it at Haight Ashbury Music Center in San Francisco, California about four years ago. It hasn't been played, except maybe the day he bought it! I think this may be a solid cedar top, at least it looks like it to me. A soprano scale. Probably has the original strings on it too. Friction tuners are really tight!

Anyway, neat little uke and I would love too know more about it.
001.jpg003.jpg

Last edited:
Oh shoot! When I read the Title I thought the thread would be about some style of playing called "Northern Ukulele." You know, sort of like Northern Soul dancing. I had visions of Eskimos playing Ukuleles as they dog sledded along. Oh well.

I hope the Uke is a good one for you!

Well I am in Michigan...maybe this would be a good one to take ice fishing? The name sure is fitting!

looks more like spruce to me, does it smell like cedar?

I can't find anything on it. Looks like spruce top to me also.

Northern Ukes were used here in Canada in the school program and a few of my friends have them as their kids went through the program. These are not the traditional uke shape though, rather an easy to build triangular one. Not sure if the same company made yours or just the same name.

http://www.vintageukemusic.com/ukuleles/northern.htm

That is not the Northern uke I have. A picture of it is in my original post.

Northern Ukes were used here in Canada in the school program and a few of my friends have them as their kids went through the program. These are not the traditional uke shape though, rather an easy to build triangular one. Not sure if the same company made yours or just the same name.

http://www.vintageukemusic.com/ukuleles/northern.htm
I've done a little woodworking in my day, and I have a lot of tools. However, I've not gotten too excited about building my own ukulele. I really like these though. I actually think that I might try to build one, It looks like it wouldn't take any special tools or jigs, and they look fun. I just might do it..

Top Bottom