Did Frank Zappa struggle with the ukulele?

Icelander53

Reaction score
Just to get your attention.

But I read that Frank Zappa (one of our great guitar virtuosos imo) could not sing and play his guitar at the same time. (maybe that solves the mystery of two or three guitarists on stage with him) I struggle here also. While I can do it to an extent I fall apart completely when I try to hold any mildly complex strumming pattern and also play chords and sing. I don't know how you all do that? I can just strum whatever my body wants to do when I sing but often it's not going well with the rhythm of the song or the song sounds rather dull and lifeless.

I was wondering if there are others who struggle with this and what if anything you've done to improve the situation?

I fear I will always be with FZ on this one.

I've been playing uke for years now, but I'm not much of a singer and don't really do a lot of strumming per se. When I do find myself in a sing/strum situation, if I'm playing anything more complex than a straight 4/4 strum, I have to choose one or the other: sing, or play. I'm entirely incapable of doing both at the same time - and I'm totally okay with that since I'd rather focus my time on fingerpicking. But I'm guessing the way to improve it is the same as with all things that take practice: just do it, and do it a lot.

I don't think it's only you and Frank Zappa. I saw Dire Straits in concert and noticed that even Mark Knopfler had difficulty performing the song "Money for Nothing". On that night at least, he was clearly struggling to sing the song while playing that angry guitar riff, even though he was playing a simplified version that didn't sound much like the record. It was the first time I realized the guy is human. :cool:

I don't know about Frank Zappa, but I can't answer people's questions while playing. I can get how singing and playing something could be difficult, but why do people talk to me and ask questions while I'm playing???

If its playing some chords with a simple strum I can sing and make up songs while playing, other than that I have to shut up and pay attention. And I really suck at answering my wife or kids when Im in the middle of a song.

A lot of this has to do with the right-brain/left-brain thing. You left brain likes nice linear/verbal information like lyrics, melodies/countermelodies and linear bass lines. Your right brain is spaceal. It likes shapes, textures and patterns like rhythm strumming or repeated finger picking patterns.

I'm also a bassist, so I will give a bassist example. David Crosby described playing bass and singing at the same time is like dialing two telephones to different numbers simultaneously. This is one reason you rarely find bassists who sing lead.

Most lead players play rhythm guitar/uke. The shape of the chords is spaceal. The movement of your right hand strumming is just repeated motor movement using right brain. Singing the lyrics and melody is very much a left brain activity. So rhythm and singing don't get in each others way.

Of course, even playing strum-strum-strum-strum over and over while singing requires basic practice to get used to. But I have a lot of respect for Geddy Lee or Mark Knoffler who can play complicated parts while singing.

Keep practicing!

Watch the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain and several of the players either sing of play but not both. They are all great players.

Bill

I've noticed the same thing with B B King. He either sings or plays, never both.

Well from where I sit this is comforting news. I will continue to practice and I will get a little better because that's been happening but I going to be grateful for those gains and not feel cheated if I can't do it all.

BB King admits he can't sing and play at the same time - or at least he finds it very difficult.

Also watch George Formby. All his fancy strumming is while he is soloing. While he's singing it's very basic strumming.

If you are in the same boat as Zappa that is an awesome boat :)

--

I find it hard to, Ive really only mastered a sing and strum with one pattern. but most of the time ill leave the singing to my friends

I have about 5 - 6 strum patterns I know really well and are smooth as butter, till I sing. I can sing and strum with a certain pattern I have learned for that song. Throw a different pattern, even one I know in my sleep into a familar song and it is a car wreck. I learned "Over the rainbow" with one pattern and it has taken me one month of practice to change it to DD UU DU and I am very comfortable with that patern just not while playing that song.

So glad to hear others are not all superstars, sometimes we all need company. Uncle Rods boot camp has helped me a lot and I can sing and play songs at will. I just have to go through the steps of building up one part at a time.

Last edited:
This.
I started taking guitar lessons when I was in fourth grade. I took private lessons until I went away to high school. As much as I wanted to, and as hard as I tried, I could never sing and play at the same time. Frustrating.

When I started playing ukulele about eight years ago, I was still unable to sing and play at the same time. I then decided that I MUST make this happen. I was very determined. I chose a song - Imagine by John Lennon - and then just started forcing myself to sing and play at the same time. It took me about a week, about an hour a day or more, and then - CLICK! - just like flipping a switch I could do it. Easily. It was very exciting. I grabbed all my old music and songsheets and could immediately sing and play pretty much anything if I knew how the song went.

Keep at it, you will get it. Just be determined and work through the stoppages.

BB King admits he can't sing and play at the same time - or at least he finds it very difficult.

Also watch George Formby. All his fancy strumming is while he is soloing. While he's singing it's very basic strumming.

I agree with your message, but boy, saying he does very basic strumming during his singing is tough for me to take being someone just learning my first formby song right now(I still don't feel ready). I can see the adjective of more being used more appropriately than the word very.

I play and sing. Of the two it's the voice that people notice. Good job too.

I play better when I don't sing and sing better when I don't play. I've always played guitar and just worked extra hard to make the singing and playing seamless. Although I've never ventured into anything particularly complicated to play. I left that to my guitarist dude who play when we recorded stuff.

As a 5'1" slender female (far from a lady though!) I always felt like I was wrestling a full size guitar. So coming over to ukulele is proving a real joy. I feel so at home with the uke because it's my size, I don't have to wrestle the damn thing into submission. Entirely because of this I'm interested in learning some instrumental stuff as well as playing and singing lots of old and new songs.

I've been screwing up the courage to make a wee youtube vid to put up for a little peer reviewing of my uke progress. *gulp*

I have been too intimidated until lately to even try to add any style to my strumming until lately so I am very bad at it. I can calypso strum fine when not singing but can't keep rhythm for long if singing. the frustration prevents me from focusing on that skill more. Also just a couple weeks ago I started singing with my playing but started with basic songs in my repertoire. I still haven't gotten my simple rhythm playing and chord accuracy that I had when not singing, but my singing is lagging behind so I am going with it anyways. Figuring it would come with time and practice eventually.

This.
I started taking guitar lessons when I was in fourth grade. I took private lessons until I went away to high school. As much as I wanted to, and as hard as I tried, I could never sing and play at the same time. Frustrating.

When I started playing ukulele about eight years ago, I was still unable to sing and play at the same time. I then decided that I MUST make this happen. I was very determined. I chose a song - Imagine by John Lennon - and then just started forcing myself to sing and play at the same time. It took me about a week, about an hour a day or more, and then - CLICK! - just like flipping a switch I could do it. Easily. It was very exciting. I grabbed all my old music and songsheets and could immediately sing and play pretty much anything if I knew how the song went.

Keep at it, you will get it. Just be determined and work through the stoppages.

That's a great success story.

I sing and play at the same time naturally. I don't really have to think about it, as far as doing both is concerned. However, I do have to switch my attention back and forth between my vocal intonation and words, and my chording and rhythms . I suppose after I get a few tunes fully memorized and rehearsed umpteen times, it will all fall in place more readily. I seem to remember that it was that way when I was playing and singing every day years ago. But for now, I need time and patience.

I don't know about Frank Zappa, but I can't answer people's questions while playing. I can get how singing and playing something could be difficult, but why do people talk to me and ask questions while I'm playing???

Yes! This drives me nuts. And it drives my family nuts. They talk to me as if I can carry on a conversation... I stare that them blankly, not processing what they've said at all, and keep playing. :)

I can sing and play no problem though. Not sure what the trick was - it was never a struggle for me. But I gather like most things, it can be overcome with practice (start easy and work up).

Edit: Actually, this gives me a great idea! Next time I'll try and sing my response. Maybe that would work.

Last edited:
Top Bottom