Should I buy an ohana sopranino... or something completely different

jhob

Reaction score
I decided today that I'd really like a sopranino but I'm not entirely sure why, or exactly what situations I would use one, but... I still want one! The ohana sopranino is reasonably priced and I would likely go for that, costs £87.

So what I'm looking is reasons why you think I should, or should not buy it as I just can't decide!

I'm thinking that I might be better off waiting for a plastic uke (maccaferri islander, TV pal) etc to come up on ebay as I rather fancy one of them too. The ukettes look pretty cool too but not sure they come up for sale that regularly. I would also quite like a concert uke, but I would want something really decent like the pono mango and that would involve too much saving up. Hmmm, I guess what I'm saying is I need my UAS fix and I don't want to spend much but do want to get something I will actually play and is different to what I already have.

I already have
* ovation applause soprano
* bruko soprano
* mahalo soprano
* Mahalo tenor (low G)
* bugs gear ele uke concert
* Tin-can reso uke I made myself from a broken mahalo

So what uke to buy next - answers on a postcard please!

I just started selling Ohana about 2 weeks ago and I must say Dy-no-mite! The sopranino is so fun, made of solid mahogany it sound great. I keep picking it up to play out of all the ukes I have in. Looks like thats one size you don't have, so get ye self one. Another cool uke by Ohana is the Vita Uke. It's loud and looks like a slice of pear.One mo, if ye got a bit more bucks the Honu line is real nice. Premium tone woods and beautiful sound. Solid Koa.
How do you like the Bruko? I have never played one and was curious.:eek:

Having played all of your ukes myself (and selling most of them) I can highly recommend the Ohana sopranino (or any solid top or solid Ohana for that matter). It will be one of the, if not the, loudest and most melodic ones you own!

Get what you want. We can't really help you here. If you want it and you can afford it, go for it. If everybody told you not to get it and you still wanted it, wouldn't you get it anyway? Just saying...it's UAS

How do you like the Bruko? I have never played one and was curious.:eek:

The bruko is a great little uke - solid mahogany with a maple neck for less than £100. It's really well made and the sound is opening up the more I play it. It is very bright and has a great attack.

The action is quite high, I had to take it down at the nut and would do the same at the saddle except that it's solid wood so this isn't so easy, although I'm getting used to it now and actually like having it a little high, makes finger picking easier.

It also looks really beautiful with a lovely satin finish showing off the mahogany grain well, contrasting nicely with the maple neck.

Were you to get one I guarantee you wouldn't regret it, it sounds and plays like a much more expensive instrument.

Well, it is now the morning and I still want a sopranino. I think I may give in to temptation later today, the reviews certainly seem good!

I watched quite a few ohana sopranino youtube vids last night and did sound very much like a soprano, the tone was not quite so thin as I was expecting.

Well, it is now the morning and I still want a sopranino. I think I may give in to temptation later today, the reviews certainly seem good!

I watched quite a few ohana sopranino youtube vids last night and did sound very much like a soprano, the tone was not quite so thin as I was expecting.

Did you see my comparison video featuring the Ohana sopranino with 5 different sopranos? Here it is.

Man, I wish they would start selling those in Japan. So cute, the ideal travel uke in my opinion. There is a K-Wave KW-1 Baby Ukulele:
005567.jpg

But that Ohana has something very cute about it. And it sounds good, something I am not sure of yet with the K-Wave... Next time MGM has a free shipping sale... :smileybounce:

Last edited:
Did you see my comparison video featuring the Ohana sopranino with 5 different sopranos? Here it is.

I had seen that review before I was considering a sopranino, I've just watched it again and I think I will go for the sopranino!

Go for it, jhob! I love mine.

Wow. I wonder if that gig bag would fit the Ohana. I'd love to have a case for it that wasn't oversized.

A dinky gig bag would be ace! I've not quite ordered it yet, waiting for the ukulele shop to get fully up and running after their break. I won't get it till next week now which will lead to a frustrating weekend!

Having researched it a lot I am definitely sold on it and do think that it will get played a good amount. I'm also quite excited by owning an ohana having heard so many good things about them... that UAS is deadly!

Hobbit Ohana does carry a sopranino bag, i think its 12 or 15mm and color is black. I could get you one for less than $20.00 ,shipping would be cheap as well.

Yeah, I am pretty sure they do not sell that gig bag separately anyway. Ah, the land of limitless possibilities.... and sopranino gigbags ;) Hooray for Uke Republic, Japan is still an imperial monarchy in that regard...

Side info: there is frighteningly little data on the K-Wave sopranino:
"About 90% of a soprano size, 12 frets. Mahogany laminate body, developed to introduce children to the ukulele(!!!). Sold from January 2000, about 9,000 yen. WITH GIGBAG" Made in Korea for Kiwaya Japan.

Well, I had an impulsive 5 minutes and just ordered it!

Now I'll have a tortuous weekend while waiting for it to arrive

I don't mean to hijack this thread (too much) but I want a sopranino too, but I have sausage fingers... my concern is the strings being too close together on the neck. So, I guess for those of you that own both a sopranino and a tenor, are the strings much closer together, making it harder for those of us with really wide fingers to play them?

Beeejums, I find the sopranino size to be perfectly manageable, up to around the seventh fret - above that, not so good. I've got small hands, though.

If you were to put a capo at the second fret of a soprano, that would give you a good idea of what it is like to play a sopranino. I've played some that sound very satisfying, but some are a bit "plinky".

Ukantor.

If you can play a soprano the sopranino is real close. It is such a fun uke to play. Tenor is quite a bit larger. How sausagey are those fingers? Yoi could probably squeeze those fingers across that fret board just fine!

Uke ninja the Uke Republic hides beneath that veil but its really a dictatorship.Shhhhh...I love Kui Doraku rice seasoning.MMMMM.. Ever try it? Rock On:music::music:

It gets more appealing all the time... now I just have to wait until my tax refund comes in :)

Top Bottom