PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy an ohana sopranino... or something completely different

jhob
02-18-2009, 12:41 PM
I decided today that I'd really like a sopranino but I'm not entirely sure why, or exactly what situations I would use one, but... I still want one! The ohana sopranino is reasonably priced and I would likely go for that, costs 87.

So what I'm looking is reasons why you think I should, or should not buy it as I just can't decide!

I'm thinking that I might be better off waiting for a plastic uke (maccaferri islander, TV pal) etc to come up on ebay as I rather fancy one of them too. The ukettes look pretty cool too but not sure they come up for sale that regularly. I would also quite like a concert uke, but I would want something really decent like the pono mango and that would involve too much saving up. Hmmm, I guess what I'm saying is I need my UAS fix and I don't want to spend much but do want to get something I will actually play and is different to what I already have.

I already have
* ovation applause soprano
* bruko soprano
* mahalo soprano
* Mahalo tenor (low G)
* bugs gear ele uke concert
* Tin-can reso uke I made myself from a broken mahalo

So what uke to buy next - answers on a postcard please!

Uke Republic
02-18-2009, 02:04 PM
I just started selling Ohana about 2 weeks ago and I must say Dy-no-mite! The sopranino is so fun, made of solid mahogany it sound great. I keep picking it up to play out of all the ukes I have in. Looks like thats one size you don't have, so get ye self one. Another cool uke by Ohana is the Vita Uke. It's loud and looks like a slice of pear.One mo, if ye got a bit more bucks the Honu line is real nice. Premium tone woods and beautiful sound. Solid Koa.
How do you like the Bruko? I have never played one and was curious.:eek:

Gaby
02-18-2009, 03:51 PM
Having played all of your ukes myself (and selling most of them) I can highly recommend the Ohana sopranino (or any solid top or solid Ohana for that matter). It will be one of the, if not the, loudest and most melodic ones you own!

sukie
02-18-2009, 04:06 PM
Get what you want. We can't really help you here. If you want it and you can afford it, go for it. If everybody told you not to get it and you still wanted it, wouldn't you get it anyway? Just saying...it's UAS

jhob
02-18-2009, 09:39 PM
How do you like the Bruko? I have never played one and was curious.:eek:

The bruko is a great little uke - solid mahogany with a maple neck for less than 100. It's really well made and the sound is opening up the more I play it. It is very bright and has a great attack.

The action is quite high, I had to take it down at the nut and would do the same at the saddle except that it's solid wood so this isn't so easy, although I'm getting used to it now and actually like having it a little high, makes finger picking easier.

It also looks really beautiful with a lovely satin finish showing off the mahogany grain well, contrasting nicely with the maple neck.

Were you to get one I guarantee you wouldn't regret it, it sounds and plays like a much more expensive instrument.

jhob
02-18-2009, 09:43 PM
Well, it is now the morning and I still want a sopranino. I think I may give in to temptation later today, the reviews certainly seem good!

I watched quite a few ohana sopranino youtube vids last night and did sound very much like a soprano, the tone was not quite so thin as I was expecting.

UKISOCIETY
02-19-2009, 01:21 AM
Well, it is now the morning and I still want a sopranino. I think I may give in to temptation later today, the reviews certainly seem good!

I watched quite a few ohana sopranino youtube vids last night and did sound very much like a soprano, the tone was not quite so thin as I was expecting.

Did you see my comparison video featuring the Ohana sopranino with 5 different sopranos? Here it is. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLGs4-FAwjY)

UkeNinja
02-19-2009, 01:59 AM
Man, I wish they would start selling those in Japan. So cute, the ideal travel uke in my opinion. There is a K-Wave KW-1 Baby Ukulele:
https://www.offpricegakki.com/image1/005567.jpg

But that Ohana has something very cute about it. And it sounds good, something I am not sure of yet with the K-Wave... Next time MGM has a free shipping sale... :smileybounce:

02-19-2009, 04:15 AM
i agree with the above posters. the sopranino is a gem. i play it everytime i hit the local shop. i just don't need it.... yet.

jhob
02-19-2009, 04:16 AM
Did you see my comparison video featuring the Ohana sopranino with 5 different sopranos? Here it is. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLGs4-FAwjY)

I had seen that review before I was considering a sopranino, I've just watched it again and I think I will go for the sopranino!

Howlin Hobbit
02-19-2009, 05:20 AM
Go for it, jhob! I love mine.

There is a K-Wave KW-1 Baby Ukulele:
https://www.offpricegakki.com/image1/005567.jpg

Wow. I wonder if that gig bag would fit the Ohana. I'd love to have a case for it that wasn't oversized.

jhob
02-19-2009, 12:38 PM
Go for it, jhob! I love mine.

Wow. I wonder if that gig bag would fit the Ohana. I'd love to have a case for it that wasn't oversized.

A dinky gig bag would be ace! I've not quite ordered it yet, waiting for the ukulele shop to get fully up and running after their break. I won't get it till next week now which will lead to a frustrating weekend!

Having researched it a lot I am definitely sold on it and do think that it will get played a good amount. I'm also quite excited by owning an ohana having heard so many good things about them... that UAS is deadly!

Uke Republic
02-19-2009, 01:22 PM
Hobbit Ohana does carry a sopranino bag, i think its 12 or 15mm and color is black. I could get you one for less than $20.00 ,shipping would be cheap as well.

UkeNinja
02-19-2009, 01:38 PM
Yeah, I am pretty sure they do not sell that gig bag separately anyway. Ah, the land of limitless possibilities.... and sopranino gigbags ;) Hooray for Uke Republic, Japan is still an imperial monarchy in that regard...

Side info: there is frighteningly little data on the K-Wave sopranino:
"About 90% of a soprano size, 12 frets. Mahogany laminate body, developed to introduce children to the ukulele(!!!). Sold from January 2000, about 9,000 yen. WITH GIGBAG" Made in Korea for Kiwaya Japan.

jhob
02-20-2009, 12:10 AM
Well, I had an impulsive 5 minutes and just ordered it!

Now I'll have a tortuous weekend while waiting for it to arrive

beeejums
02-20-2009, 01:16 AM
I don't mean to hijack this thread (too much) but I want a sopranino too, but I have sausage fingers... my concern is the strings being too close together on the neck. So, I guess for those of you that own both a sopranino and a tenor, are the strings much closer together, making it harder for those of us with really wide fingers to play them?

ukantor
02-20-2009, 02:26 AM
Beeejums, I find the sopranino size to be perfectly manageable, up to around the seventh fret - above that, not so good. I've got small hands, though.

If you were to put a capo at the second fret of a soprano, that would give you a good idea of what it is like to play a sopranino. I've played some that sound very satisfying, but some are a bit "plinky".

Ukantor.

Uke Republic
02-20-2009, 01:12 PM
If you can play a soprano the sopranino is real close. It is such a fun uke to play. Tenor is quite a bit larger. How sausagey are those fingers? Yoi could probably squeeze those fingers across that fret board just fine!

Uke Republic
02-20-2009, 01:21 PM
Uke ninja the Uke Republic hides beneath that veil but its really a dictatorship.Shhhhh...I love Kui Doraku rice seasoning.MMMMM.. Ever try it? Rock On:music::music:

beeejums
02-21-2009, 07:46 AM
It gets more appealing all the time... now I just have to wait until my tax refund comes in :-)

jhob
02-22-2009, 06:01 AM
I'm hoping mine will be with me Monday, although annoyingly I am busy every night this week so not too much time to play with it... although I am going to a uke open mic on Thursday so might bust it out then! Depends how confident on it I feel otherwise the dependable applause soprano will be coming along for the ride.

jhob
02-25-2009, 03:38 AM
The ohana sopranino turned up this morning - I love it! I've been playing it every spare minute I've had free at work, it's a great little instrument!

This is my first ohana too and I'm really impressed with the quality, it looks like it should be a much more expensive uke. Came nicely set up too with the action just about right. Only small issue was that the break angle on the C string at the nut is a bit shallow and the nut slot a touch wide causing the C string to rattle a bit. I have sorted this out by putting a bit of paper in the slot for now.

The tuners are the best friction tuners I have so far had on one of my ukes, very accurate with a nice action.

It has a lovely sound to it that I feel will open up over time. At the moment it sounds a little dry, particularly when strummed, although this is an issue I have had with many of the ukes I have bought brand new in the past.

The fretboard hasn't felt quite so cramped as I feared it might too and I've adapted to it really quickly, at least I fluff the chording only as often as I would on a soprano!

I love its dinkyness too, looks very cute! My sopranos are going to feel like monsters after playing this little fella!

By the over-use of exclamation marks you chalk me up as one happy customer(!):music::music::music:

I also won a TV Pal on ebay earlier in the week, looking forward to delivery of that hopefully next week too! That will take my current brood to 9, probably enough for the time-being! Still don't have an acoustic concert tho...;)

Howlin Hobbit
02-25-2009, 09:04 AM
I love its dinkyness too, looks very cute! My sopranos are going to feel like monsters after playing this little fella!

True!

Plus, since I tuned mine up to F every time I switch back to my regular soprano I'm surprised by its "deep" tones. :biglaugh:

jhob
02-25-2009, 10:56 AM
True!

Plus, since I tuned mine up to F every time I switch back to my regular soprano I'm surprised by its "deep" tones. :biglaugh:

I think I might play around with doing the same, although that may just confuse the hell out of me!

Would F tuning be CFAD?

Howlin Hobbit
02-26-2009, 08:54 AM
Would F tuning be CFAD?

Yes.

I do one of two things. Either I just play the songs with the chord shapes I learned initially and go with the change of key or I figure out the chord shapes on the new tuning.

Since they're a fourth up (from GCEA) all you do is look at your Circle of Fifths. Play the shape one step clockwise from the chord you're looking for.

jhob
03-01-2009, 10:21 AM
I tried F and wasn't keen, seemed to lack projection and string tension was too high (for me). I just took it down in half steps until I found a tuning that sounded best which turned out to be D! That little uke really sings in D, suits it just perfectly!

At the moment I am just playing the C shapes in a different so as not to confuse myself too much.

I am really loving playing it, just loads of fun!