friction tuners slipping

dirtiestkidever

Reaction score
I apologize for starting a new thread that probably already exists but I couldn't find the answer I was looking for.

I have a soprano ukulele that has friction tuners that look and feel just like the ones on KoAlohas. But two of are slipping. That is, the outer part is turning when you turn the peg (not just the middle part). I tried tightening and loosening the screw to no avail. Advice? Can I take them apart and deal with this myself? Can I replace them myself? Aside from this problem these seem like nice friction tuners so if cleaning / fixing them is an option that would be great. Should I just open them up? Thanks is advance for your help.

All of the above. When tightening hasn't worked, some UU members have dis-assembled and cleaned them. This seemed to work unless a part was worn out. Replacing ukulele tuners a simple affair, "if" you insure the diameter of the tuner matches diameter of the holes. Not sure of the value of your uke, but reaming out holes should be a solution of last resort. This video should give you a better understanding of friction tuners:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vG3zNQCa8g

Last edited:
Hey, thanks for the video link! I've used various friction pegs for years, but never knew exactly how they worked, or didn't. Now I know a lot more.

A couple things:

(1) Thanks for the link Phil. It was very informative.

(2) I need to issue a public apology to my tuners. Indeed the cover plat does turn when i turn the knob but that doesnt seem to be the problem. The problem is that the string was just slipping out of the tuner even when already wound 3 times around! I had never seen this happen before. I had to put it on extra loose and wind it ~5 times around before it held. I have never had that problem before. This seems to be an extra slick A string or something.

But I did take some friction tuners apart for the first time and as such am no longer afraid to do so. So it was a good learning experience.

The problem is that the string was just slipping out of the tuner even when already wound 3 times around! I had never seen this happen before.
I've had this problem and this is the solution I came up with.

Put your string through the hole, take it a half turn round the peg and put it through the hole again then start to tighten. I do this with all four strings. With the G & A strings I often find I have to take them a second half turn round and through the hole again.

Last edited:

Put your string through the hole, take it a half turn round the peg and put it through the hole again then start to tighten. I do this with all four strings. With the G & A strings I often find I have to take them a second half turn round and through the hole again.
that's what I do too, though sometimes there isn't enough room if it's a fat string. then, I tie it on.

Here is a crude illustration:

String.jpg

Unless I am mistaken, I beleive you meant that the tuners are slipping in the headstock holes. I've seen this problem, and what I found is that you need to remove the strings, take out the tuners, and gently hone out the holes, removing the glaze that accumulates over the years. Then replace it all and it should stay in tune, instead of going flat. Let us know how it goes!

All of the above. When tightening hasn't worked, some UU members have dis-assembled and cleaned them. This seemed to work unless a part was worn out. Replacing ukulele tuners a simple affair, "if" you insure the diameter of the tuner matches diameter of the holes. Not sure of the value of your uke, but reaming out holes should be a solution of last resort. This video should give you a better understanding of friction tuners:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vG3zNQCa8g

I might have the wrong terminology here but this is on a Vintage Martin I have, they are wooden pegs (what I should have said) that fell out when taking the strings off. Are these wooden pegs friction turners?

Top Bottom