CA glue as pore filler and finish?

tangimango

Reaction score
Ive just saw videos of pen makers using just ca glue for filling and finishing. Will ca glue method work for a rosewood head plate?

For grain filler, yes.

I've seen a Ken Franklin guitar that was finished with CA and it looked great. I'm sure there's a learning curve there but a small surface like a headplate shouldn't be too hard to do. Makes me cringe to think about it though since I'm so allergic.

Plan on using some ventilation.
Man, you're not kiddin!! I experimented with the CA yesterday and ended up doing a whole tenor with it. I put my lacquer respirator on

Chuck Moore just had a CA pore filler story in the newest American Lutherie. He's pore filled his last 400+ ukes with it. I like his system a lot. Once the pores are filled you could easily just keep on layering the stuff, sand it level, and buff it out to an amazing gloss (NOT part of Chuck's system, though). I just pore filled a pair of mahogany banjo necks with CA, and they looked so nice I would have stopped there if I wasn't working on a Tru Oil story. The CA fumes are truly brutal when you spread so much of it at once. I also pore filled a guitar and a bouzouki body with CA. Working outside with a fan blowing on you is a fine idea.

So just cake on ca glue on headstock and sand back flat?

Chuck should jump in here, I don't like talking for him. But. . .he squirts on a bit of thick CA and wipes it around with a bit of paper towel, trying to keep it smooth and level. Let it dry, do it again. You can lightly sand between coats. You can PM Chuck and ask for his work sheet. There are many details I haven't mentioned, and he's very specific. You out there, Chuck?

doesn't CA yellow with time? I can see that would not be a concern as a pore filler but as a finish?

Not that I've noticed. Nitro and Tru-Oil both yellow given enough time. No one seems to care. When pore filling with CA one should never sand back to wood, which leaves an over-all coating, be it thin. If it yellowed in a bad way Chuck would know by now.

Where Chuck lives was the point of impact for the hurricane Iselle that just came through the Big Island. I'm hoping for the best for him but last night I saw some of the photos and video of the hurricane landfall and it doesn't look good there. It supposedly weakened to a tropical storm just before it hit there was still a lot of devastation.
Hoping for the best.

Where Chuck lives was the point of impact for the hurricane Iselle that just came through the Big Island. I'm hoping for the best for him but last night I saw some of the photos and video of the hurricane landfall and it doesn't look good there. It supposedly weakened to a tropical storm just before it hit there was still a lot of devastation.
Hoping for the best.

He is doing okay but there is a lot of devastation in that area, resulting in loss of cell towers, etc. He went on Facebook yesterday to let everyone know his family is fine, but his internet access is going to be very intermittent for a while, so I don't expect him on UU very much until everything is back up and running on the Big Island.

I've seen a Ken Franklin guitar that was finished with CA and it looked great. I'm sure there's a learning curve there but a small surface like a headplate shouldn't be too hard to do. Makes me cringe to think about it though since I'm so allergic.

Well, if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes...I never would have believed it...Stopped by to see Ken on Friday and saw one guitar hanging in the shop that had a rough coat of CA applied to it and played a beautiful little concert finished and buffed CA...very interesting.

Top Bottom