UAS Hit Me

Cohumulone

Reaction score
Haven't posted in several months, but I've still been uke'ing. I've had my little soprano banjo uke this whole time until last week. I moved to FL at the end of April, but my family stayed behind in Phoenix until next Summer. Went home for 10 days at the end of July and had nothing to play, so I bought a very cheap $30 uke from guitar center to get me by. Overall, the sound was actually pretty good with some Aquilas on it, but I could see where the frets were not put in the places marked for the frets and so as I moved up the neck, the pitch was more and more sharp. What that did though was make me want a non-banjo uke.

Got back to FL last week and bought a Lanikai concert uke and I love it. Some songs simply don't sound as good on the banjo-uke and are much better represented on a regular style one.

So, I've acquired 2 new ukes in the last couple weeks. A crappy soprano that's out of pitch when fretted higher than the 3rd fret, and a new concert uke.

Haven't posted in several months, but I've still been uke'ing. I've had my little soprano banjo uke this whole time until last week. I moved to FL at the end of April, but my family stayed behind in Phoenix until next Summer. Went home for 10 days at the end of July and had nothing to play, so I bought a very cheap $30 uke from guitar center to get me by. Overall, the sound was actually pretty good with some Aquilas on it, but I could see where the frets were not put in the places marked for the frets and so as I moved up the neck, the pitch was more and more sharp. What that did though was make me want a non-banjo uke.

Got back to FL last week and bought a Lanikai concert uke and I love it. Some songs simply don't sound as good on the banjo-uke and are much better represented on a regular style one.

So, I've acquired 2 new ukes in the last couple weeks. A crappy soprano that's out of pitch when fretted higher than the 3rd fret, and a new concert uke.

couple of things to check. what's the nut to 12th and 12th to saddle measurement? that's the most telling measurement for how fixable that soprano is. You might be able to get away with popping the saddle and sanding the bottom if the above measurement is okay. 12th to saddle should be slightly longer than nut to 12th.

As to the UAS, as you are a soprano player, might as well get right to it: vintage Martin.

If you take baby-steps, like all of us, you will need a home equity loan. Just get to it, I'd advise you. Get the Martin

Last edited:
couple of things to check. what's the nut to 12th and 12th to saddle measurement? that's the most telling measurement for how fixable that soprano is. You might be able to get away with popping the saddle and sanding the bottom if the above measurement is okay. 12th to saddle should be slightly longer than nut to 12th.

Do the saddles generally just pop out?

Hey bnolsen. Thanks for the tips. I'll have to check it next month when I'm back in Phoenix. I left it there to play when I go home every month. I like the idea of salvaging it, really. It doesn't have that bad of a tone to it, really. Just wish it wasn't painted.

lol vintage martin. I can dream right?

You could take a martin OXK for a spin as well. Several folks on here say that's most vintage like of the current crop of martin's offerings. Also happens to be the cheapest model they sell.

Whereabouts in FL?

I'm in Jacksonville. Looks like you're in the Tampa area. My mom is in St. Pete and I go down there on occasion to visit.

I'll have to wait on any further ukes I think. I am currently maintaining two households (my apartment here and my house in Phoenix). I think my next instrument purchase will be a mandolin though.

Do the saddles generally just pop out?

Yes, generally they do, but some might need a little extra prying. I did on the custom uke I received a couple of weeks ago to install a pickup and sand down the saddle to keep the action low the way I like. Did need a little finessing to get it out.

Top Bottom