really nice uke straps handmade in California

janeray1940

Reaction score
Not long ago I posted about buying a handmade guitar strap to use on my uke from a seller on Etsy called Feedback Straps. For those with slightly smaller uke strap needs - the seller has started offering uke/mando specific straps! They can be seen here, and the maker has provided a code for free shipping to share with anybody interested: AWESOME.

Which is exactly what they are :)

Nice straps. One thing I like is that they are all natural material, i.e. hemp. I hate straps that are some variation of nylon. They just don't breathe. Really pretty cotton or hemp straps are hard to come by. These look great.

Nice straps. One thing I like is that they are all natural material, i.e. hemp. I hate straps that are some variation of nylon. They just don't breathe. Really pretty cotton or hemp straps are hard to come by. These look great.

Agree completely with the natural material - that was how I found the seller in the first place, searching for something that wasn't some form of nylon or plastic. Not a fan of synthetic fibers!

My strap arrived today and I like it so much that I ordered one more for my little pineapple soprano - it's small and lightweight enough that it's not overkill on a smaller uke. Three ukes, three straps, I'm done!

For now, anyway :)

Too pricey for me. :). It's pretty, though. She makes each one by hand at her home in California?

Just as an aside for others that may read this thread, Lori's UkeLeash Leather is another option. It, too, is hand made in California and strong but thin width. It is $29.99, and needs the Leather adapter at $3.49 to make it a full strap, but then Lori does give 20 percent off if four or more purchased at same time-- that brings the price iof each leather leash plus adapter, i.e. Full strap, to around $26.

Thanks for posting your experience with it, JR40. You are selective in your equipment and a thumbs up from you carries weight in my book.

Only another ten days or so until Haruki, M!

Last edited:
Very nice! I just ordered the Western Rose one for my Lanikai Banjolele. Thanks for the post!

Too pricey for me. :). It's pretty, though. She makes each one by hand at her home in California?

Just as an aside for others that may read this thread, Lori's UkeLeash Leather is another option. It, too, is hand made in California and strong but thin width. It is $29.99, and needs the Leather adapter at $3.49 to make it a full strap, but then Lori does give 20 percent off if four or more purchased at same time-- that brings the price iof each leather leash plus adapter, i.e. Full strap, to around $26.

Thanks for posting your experience with it, JR40. You are selective in your equipment and a thumbs up from you carries weight in my book.

Thanks cookayaker1! I also carry Uke Leash Guitar Style Straps which are for ukes with strap buttons (leather or polypro webbing), no adapter needed. They are made to order by me. If you need something special, I can even create custom leather pieces so you can build your own with available yardage from the fabric store.

Lori

Very nice! I just ordered the Western Rose one for my Lanikai Banjolele. Thanks for the post!

You're welcome! I'm so happy to hear you're supporting the seller, it really is an impressive product. She gives everything from the design and materials right down to the packaging a lot of careful thought.

Thanks cookayaker1! I also carry Uke Leash Guitar Style Straps which are for ukes with strap buttons (leather or polypro webbing), no adapter needed. They are made to order by me. If you need something special, I can even create custom leather pieces so you can build your own with available yardage from the fabric store.

Lori

Lori, have you ever considered offering a wider strap using natural fibers (other than leather)? There may be a market for it; needing a strap that was wider than my mando straps or your leather straps, but narrower than the 2" standard guitar straps was what got me on this quest in the first place.

I've found that 1.5" and a woven cotton or hemp backing solves all of my strap issues - it doesn't slip, it doesn't twist like thinner straps tend to do (drives me CRAZY), and it doesn't irritate where it touches bare skin. And there's very little out there - I think I've found just two made-in-USA vendors I've found whose products fit both the sizing and materials criteria.

I can see where it would be considered pricey, especially when taking into consideration some folks have ukes that cost about the same or even less! Over the past few years, I've been slowly trying to limit my consumerism to products made in USA, preferably by small artisan businesses, whenever possible. And I'm finding that as a result, I tend to buy less and buy better quality, which for me has actually worked out to spending less in the end (particularly when it comes to clothing, but that's a whole other story). But I know that my choices are a luxury not everybody has - I've just got me to support, no family or kids, no mortgage, no car payments. Just me and my very spoiled cat... and yes, I believe Sarah Marie makes each strap by hand herself. The workmanship is really impressive!

A friend and I were just discussing the Murakami yesterday. I'm #1 on the library wait list, so - circling back to the previous paragraph's discussion of buying choices, I'm trying hard to resist hitting the Amazon pre-order now button. She already did, so my plan is to wait for my library copy to arrive, and if I can't finish by the due date she'll pass hers my way when she's done. (And yes, I do agonize this much over just about every purchase I make!)

Maybe we should start a "What are you reading?" thread in General Discussion... :)

Last edited:
I can see where it would be considered pricey, especially when taking into consideration some folks have ukes that cost about the same or even less! Over the past few years, I've been slowly trying to limit my consumerism to products made in USA, preferably by small artisan businesses, whenever possible. And I'm finding that as a result, I tend to buy less and buy better quality, which for me has actually worked out to spending less in the end (particularly when it comes to clothing, but that's a whole other story). But I know that my choices are a luxury not everybody has - I've just got me to support, no family or kids, no mortgage, no car payments. Just me and my very spoiled cat...

A friend and I were just discussing the Murakami yesterday. I'm #1 on the library wait list, so - circling back to the previous paragraph's discussion of buying choices, I'm trying hard to resist hitting the Amazon pre-order now button. She already did, so my plan is to wait for my library copy to arrive, and if I can't finish by the due date she'll pass hers my way when she's done. (And yes, I do agonize this much over just about every purchase I make!)

Maybe we should start a "What are you reading?" thread in General Discussion... :)

I certainly can see, and respect, your buying American, buying quality over quantity, and enjoying what you bought as a lifelong investment (rather than a short-term, disposable commodity). Good philosophy. :) I'm going to try and do more of that, too.

Wait, wait--Murakami comes out Tuesday! Oh, my! Do you own a Kindle, M? It's cheaper on a Kindle. I'm curious, you mention the fees at your library. How much loaner time do they give on a new title, and what is the fee for going over? Is your friend reading it on the day of release, too? I hope it's not as jinky as that Samsa In Love short. lol Maybe the general thread would help us see if anyone else is going to read H.M.'s latest, too (they won't see this unless they're in the market for a strap--lol)

Last edited:
I certainly can see, and respect, your buying American, buying quality over quantity, and enjoying what you bought as a lifelong investment (rather than a short-term, disposable commodity). Good philosophy. :) I'm going to try and do more of that, too.

Wait, wait--Murakami comes out Tuesday! Oh, my! Do you own a Kindle, M? It's cheaper on a Kindle. I'm curious, you mention the fees at your library. How much loaner time do they give on a new title, and what is the fee for going over? Is your friend reading it on the day of release, too? I hope it's not as jinky as that Samsa In Love short. lol Maybe the general thread would help us see if anyone else is going to read H.M.'s latest, too (they won't see this unless they're in the market for a strap--lol)

Nah, no Kindle. I have the app on my iPhone and use it from time to time when I don't want to carry a book with me, but generally I like to keep gadget ownership to a minimum. I get paid to stare at a screen all day; when I'm off the clock I try to stay away from computer-related devices as much as possible.

The library gives 2 week loans on new materials and IIRC it's a dollar a day late fee (as opposed to 25 cents on older materials). Two weeks is almost never enough for me since my reading time is pretty limited (I'm pretty strict about time - uke gets first place, Saturdays are hikes, Sunday night is movie night, and whatever time I have beyond that is reading time!). My friend pre-ordered on Amazon, which means she'll get it before me, and she has a lot more spare time than I do, so - one way or another I'll get it pretty soon.

I see. :rolleyes: I understand about the devices.

I heard it's not too long, the book, so perhaps two weeks will be enough. I'll enjoy reading it even more knowing that you are doing the same 2000 miles away. Hope your library gets it for you on day one, Tuesday.

Lori, have you ever considered offering a wider strap using natural fibers (other than leather)? There may be a market for it; needing a strap that was wider than my mando straps or your leather straps, but narrower than the 2" standard guitar straps was what got me on this quest in the first place.

I've found that 1.5" and a woven cotton or hemp backing solves all of my strap issues - it doesn't slip, it doesn't twist like thinner straps tend to do (drives me CRAZY), and it doesn't irritate where it touches bare skin. And there's very little out there - I think I've found just two made-in-USA vendors I've found whose products fit both the sizing and materials criteria.

Hi JR1940
Yes, I might consider doing a wider strap. Thanks for the suggestion. I haven't had time to test out the optimum width, but something wider than one half inch makes it easier to have a decorative space for a design. When I move into a house later this year, I will be able to have more room for inventory. Presently, I can barely function in my apartment with all the materials and equipment needed to make the straps, circle of fifths guides and jewelry. I have to buy in bulk the buckles, slides, and strap keepers, and there is no room at the moment for an additional quantity of 1.5" hardware. I will use your suggestions for further research, and see what I can come up with. Probably won't have much until after the big move, which is still at least 2 months away. I found a mill in Los Angeles, so I might be able to design my own weave. Any suggestions on motifs and colors are welcomed.
–Lori

I heard it's not too long, the book, so perhaps two weeks will be enough. I'll enjoy reading it even more knowing that you are doing the same 2000 miles away. Hope your library gets it for you on day one, Tuesday.

I hope so too, while I've still got some free time - with a uke class starting next month and a work-related class in October, it's going to be my last bit of reading time for a while!

Hi JR1940
Yes, I might consider doing a wider strap. Thanks for the suggestion. I haven't had time to test out the optimum width, but something wider than one half inch makes it easier to have a decorative space for a design. When I move into a house later this year, I will be able to have more room for inventory. Presently, I can barely function in my apartment with all the materials and equipment needed to make the straps, circle of fifths guides and jewelry. I have to buy in bulk the buckles, slides, and strap keepers, and there is no room at the moment for an additional quantity of 1.5" hardware. I will use your suggestions for further research, and see what I can come up with. Probably won't have much until after the big move, which is still at least 2 months away. I found a mill in Los Angeles, so I might be able to design my own weave. Any suggestions on motifs and colors are welcomed.
–Lori

That's great that you'll have more work space after the move. Really looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

Top Bottom