PDA

View Full Version : Where Do You Sit?

VegasGeorge
08-09-2014, 09:54 AM
Seems like a trivial question, "Where do you sit?" But actually it might be important to Ukulele practice. I suppose, the best seating would be in a solid, straight back chair, feet on the floor and shoulders back. Yeah, good luck with that one! I find myself doing most of my Ukulele playing in the comfort of my Lazy Boy, often with my feet up. I often have sheet music in my lap, so I'm hunched over looking at it while I play. I think the word "slouch" would best describe my posture.

I was just wondering if I'm alone in this, or are the rest of you guys comfort strummers like me?

SteveZ
08-09-2014, 10:00 AM
Seems like a trivial question, "Where do you sit?" But actually it might be important to Ukulele practice. I suppose, the best seating would be in a solid, straight back chair, feet on the floor and shoulders back. Yeah, good luck with that one! I find myself doing most of my Ukulele playing in the comfort of my Lazy Boy, often with my feet up. I often have sheet music in my lap, so I'm hunched over looking at it while I play. I think the word "slouch" would best describe my posture.

I was just wondering if I'm alone in this, or are the rest of you guys comfort strummers like me?

The same, in a lawn chair with a cold one, wherever the mood hits.

Hmmm....perhaps a uku-seat could be in the offing, complete with music stand. There may be a business here for the enterprising UUer.

Osprey
08-09-2014, 10:05 AM
We have a room that we call the Library/music Room. It has an electric piano, bookshelves and it is where I keep ukulele and accessories. I have a music stand a straight chair and a short stool that gives me the best posture. That being said for every time I use the music room I play on the couch ten times
Cliff

tbeltrans
08-09-2014, 10:07 AM
Since I play the ukulele using a strap, whether I am standing or sitting (or where I am sitting) really doesn't matter because the ukulele is always in the same position relative to my body. That way, muscle memory can work because my hands are always in the same position relative to the instrument as my hands learn the physical shape and spacing of the instrument. I do the same thing with my guitar. I either stand or if I sit, it is in my recliner, but sitting upright.

Tony

Icelander53
08-09-2014, 10:26 AM
I sprung for a music stand. I like a stool or straight backed chair and I also like to stand on my feet at times. But I play on the edge of the bed a lot too and sometimes in a recliner but not much anymore.

Newportlocal
08-09-2014, 10:27 AM
Another comfort strummer here. On my bed with pillows behind me,or in my chair in the yard with a foot stool.

janeray1940
08-09-2014, 10:32 AM
At home, at a music stand, in a desk chair. But I also alternate standing since I spend so much time sitting at work - it's nice to be able to move around! And often standing is a matter of practicality - I find sitting on anything squishy, like a sofa, to make playing nearly impossible. And since I'm short, chairs that have arms are pretty awful too - I'm not tall enough for my arms to be over the chair's arms, so my elbows get all banged up.

Rllink
08-09-2014, 10:32 AM
Lawn chair on the front porch with my music on a folding table, or on my lap. Patio chair on the back porch, music on another patio chair. On my recliner in front of the TV. Easy chair in the front room where I can look out the front window, music on my wife's hope chest. Park bench at the park down the street from my house, music on my lap or on the ground.

UkeyDave
08-09-2014, 11:36 AM
I don't have a front porch or a garden. I live in a flat so my Ukeing is done from the comfort of my settee usually sat on the edge of the seat in a slouched position that is not good for my back. But then I've always been a sloucher. I would play in a semi-reclined position but I find that hurts my hand when barring. I think I may have a touch of arthritis in my hands so I try and keep my left arm in a good posture at least. Shame about the rest of me. lol.

Tootler
08-09-2014, 01:53 PM
What used to be my younger daughter's bedroom. It has all my music gear and books, PC all sorts of other clutter. I sit on a swivel office chair to play or sometimes stand if I am recording for You Tube etc.

kohanmike
08-09-2014, 01:57 PM
Most of the time reclining on my couch, I also use a strap. I have nerve damage in my neck and shoulders, so reclining is the most comfortable for me. After an hour sitting up in my uke group play-alongs, I'm pretty fatigued, but even then I slouch in the chair.

Freeda
08-09-2014, 03:16 PM
Wherever. Couch, standing, bed...

VegasGeorge
08-09-2014, 04:26 PM
Sitting position is very important, you can't reach the uke if you sit too far away from it.

:rofl::rofl:

sukie
08-09-2014, 04:54 PM
What used to be my younger daughter's bedroom. It has all my music gear and books, PC all sorts of other clutter. I sit on a swivel office chair to play or sometimes stand if I am recording for You Tube etc.
Sub son for younger daughter and cut out the part about You Tube and that's me!

actadh
08-09-2014, 05:35 PM
This is a good question! I have an old Victorian rocking chair with arms. It sits very low to the ground, almost like I am sitting on a stool - and so low that my legs are higher than when sitting on a regular chair. I have my laptop in front of it sitting on an old bench - if it was outside it could be used to hold flowering plants. My bed is adjacent.

This was a "temporary" set up that I have been using for 2 years. I spend most of my time here grading papers or surfing the Internet. When I started playing the ukulele last December, it was a natural place to play as I often played songs from my laptop such as from the Dr. Uke site. I can rest my arms on the armrests and the ukulele on my left leg. I can lay the ukulele on the bed when not playing.

But, I find that now I can't play from a regular chair - my legs are not high enough, so I need a stool to prop my left leg, and I can never get an armrest of a chair in the right position.

Someone had mentioned a strap - I am getting ready to take the plunge on an Opio, and will get the strap buttons installed by HMS, so I can play anywhere

Down Up Dick
08-09-2014, 08:46 PM
I sit in my music room on an office chair with my music on a foot stool. I have two better places to sit with a straight, music chair and a music stand, or a drum throne with another old music stand. The office chair has arms and rocks back, and, while it's uncomfortable to play in it, I just can't seem to get out of it and play correctly. I play most of my other instruments while standing and/or pacing about.

Leigh Coates
08-09-2014, 08:54 PM
After reading this thread I tried to play in my recliner, and I discovered that I can't... it just feels too uncomfortable. Plus, it was hard to play a barr chord, because my arm couldn't move properly.

DownUpDave
08-10-2014, 12:36 AM
I sit at the kitchen table in a straight back hardwood chair. One of my ukes resides in one of the chairs at all times and my binder with all my sheet music is on the table. This set up along with my tablet makes access to everything ukulele very quick and easy. I play everyday for 1 - 2 hrs and being able to just walk into the kitchen grab a uke, sit down and start playing makes all of that possible.

experimentjon
08-10-2014, 01:27 AM
Typically, its a Herman Miller Aeron in front of my computer because that's where the music is (saving trees). I formerly had a chair without adjustable arms and those got in the way. The Aeron is great: just push the arms out and there's plenty of room for a tenor ukulele.

Playing a small guitar like a Taylor GS Mini still isn't workable in these office chairs though, unless you have one without arms. I remember going to the guitar store and asking for a recommendation for a new parlor-sized guitar that I could play in my chair. The salesman told me that it sounded like I needed a new chair. Ultimately, I think he was right. LOL. Or maybe I should just stick to ukulele.

dinamo9
09-10-2014, 03:21 PM
Has anyone tried something like this?

http://www.amazon.com/Stage-DT8500-Guitar-Keyboard-Throne/dp/B0018TIAA4/ref=pd_cp_MI_1

Ukejenny
09-10-2014, 03:44 PM

http://www.amazon.com/Stage-DT8500-Guitar-Keyboard-Throne/dp/B0018TIAA4/ref=pd_cp_MI_1

My fluffy butt would not enjoy that particular setup!!!!

I sit on the couch for the most part. I have a tabletop music stand on the TV tray beside me or have the music/computer in my lap. I usually have horrible posture. I also play in bed and sometimes out beside the pool in a lounge chair. Adirondack chairs, by the way, totally suck for playing a ukulele. The body tilt totally screws you up. Luckily, I have some straighter sitting chairs out there.

I also play a lot in my van and that seat gives me great support and helps my posture, as long as I don't wack the ukulele against the steering wheel. I have a little kiddie clip hanger that I clip the music to and hang it from my rearview mirror. Works great. Actually, come to think of it, my van is my best setup - it is quiet and pretty sound proof, good posture, lumbar support, and the music right at eye level. I wait in car line at my kids' schools and play for quite a while.

VegasGeorge
09-10-2014, 04:00 PM

Ouch! That even looks dangerous to me. I would much prefer something like this: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/lifestyle/pick-n-glider-musicians-chair

In fact, I've even gone so far as to add it to my "Cart" once or twice, but never actually ordered it, yet.

dinamo9
09-10-2014, 04:06 PM
I see both of your points, but the throne I linked to is designed for guitarists (or uke players) and has received some very good reviews. What I like about it is the proper posture that it promotes, and that I currently lack. Ofcourse it wouldn't be fun playing on it for hours, which in that case I would also prefer the chair you posted VegasGeorge.

itsme
09-10-2014, 04:21 PM
I have a small piano bench and a heavy duty music stand in one corner of the living room. Since the bench is backless, it forces me to sit up straight. But it's also pretty hard and my behind is not that well padded, so I use a ViscoRide wheelchair butt pad on it.

Sometimes I play in my desk chair in front of my computer when I'm previewing things I've downloaded. I'm all for saving trees, too, but mostly I don't want to waste ink by printing out something when I'm not sure if I want to pursue it further.

Doug W
09-10-2014, 04:27 PM

I would like to say that I sit in a straight chair with a music stand in front of me but I confess that my practice setup is similar to yours. We are bad people!

Ukejenny
09-10-2014, 04:31 PM
Speaking of thrones, who's going to be brave enough to admit where you really get a lot of your playing in?

Bwahahahahahaha!!!!! I do not do that, but I do have a friend who played guitar so long in the bathroom that his legs fell completely asleep and when he went to get up, he fell over.

WCBarnes
09-10-2014, 04:47 PM
My fluffy butt would not enjoy that particular setup!!!!

I also play a lot in my van and that seat gives me great support and helps my posture, as long as I don't wack the ukulele against the steering wheel. I have a little kiddie clip hanger that I clip the music to and hang it from my rearview mirror. Works great. Actually, come to think of it, my van is my best setup - it is quiet and pretty sound proof, good posture, lumbar support, and the music right at eye level. I wait in car line at my kids' schools and play for quite a while.

That is an excellent idea! When I wait in the car line I am generally looking at the UU forum on my phone... Your way is more beneficial to playing better (and may help cut down on UAS as I won't be checking the marketplace. :D )

itsme
09-10-2014, 04:52 PM
I don't get why people want to play an instrument while seated on the throne.

If your diet is sufficient in fiber, you're in and out in no time. :o

VegasGeorge
09-10-2014, 05:06 PM

Uh, ....how much fiber is there in french fries and a coke?

WCBarnes
09-10-2014, 05:10 PM
[QUOTE=itsme;1576251]I don't get why people want to play an instrument while seated on the throne. /QUOTE]

I would like to say privacy, but my daughter has a way of needing something the instant the door closes...

kypfer
09-10-2014, 10:50 PM
I sit mostly where the cat isn't ... she likes to take over wherever I've just been sitting 'cos it's warm :)

I even bought a small-bodied "travel guitar" so's we could both fit on the armchair, but she prefers the ukulele :)

Ukejenny
09-11-2014, 03:39 AM
That is an excellent idea! When I wait in the car line I am generally looking at the UU forum on my phone... Your way is more beneficial to playing better (and may help cut down on UAS as I won't be checking the marketplace. :D )

Hey, it is 45 minutes of guaranteed practice a day - without interruptions!!!

Ukejenny
09-11-2014, 03:40 AM

Hear, hear!!!

Mxyzptik
09-11-2014, 03:59 AM
I sit in what used to be my Fathers first easy chair. It is a cube type leather chair I suppose. It was built in Ontario in the 1960's and the interior frame is all solid white oak. I spent a thousand dollars on two beautiful tanned hides and had it recovered and it's the most comfortable chair in the house. It sits in my newly renovated music room where I can look out the bay window into the garden and see the bird baths and bird feeders. all in all very inspirational .

Rllink
09-11-2014, 04:39 AM
I played sitting on the tailgate of my truck parked in a parking lot yesterday. First time for that.

D.Jackson
09-11-2014, 05:07 AM
For me, it really depends on what I'm doing. If I'm seriously practicing, or learning a new song or technique, I always try to make sure I am sitting in a straight-backed chair, with the material I'm working on, on a stand at eye level. But, I spend a lot of time just sitting on the couch or in a comfortable chair, if I'm just plinking, or playing around with stuff that I'm already familiar with.

ricdoug
09-11-2014, 06:51 AM
Manufactured by a local 'ukulele player:

http://www.westhillswood.com/rockin-stool.html

itsme
09-11-2014, 09:30 AM
Manufactured by a local 'ukulele player:

http://www.westhillswood.com/rockin-stool.html
That's an interesting concept, but it seems to me it would make more sense to sell the stools without an amplifier built in. I mean, most people who need an amp probably already have one or would prefer to choose their own.

Amps are heavy enough they aren't going to just fall out so there's no need to attach them, and there may be times you need to transport the amp but don't need the stool.

Oh, and if the maker is a uke player, why isn't he offering a "uke amp" or at least suggesting which version works better with a uke? :confused:

ricdoug
09-11-2014, 10:07 AM
I'm sure Harold O will build it any way you want. Harold O is an 'ukulele player and has told his 'ukulele sound more natural through the bass amp. Ric

Daktari
09-11-2014, 11:55 AM
I play everywhere. Sat at the mahoosive desk that now dominates the living room. On the sofa watching films. Practice scales and wotnot in bed. Practice songs [quietly-ish] when sat outside enjoying a pot of tea at my favourite cafe.
Many evenings in recent weeks, I've found myself hunched over my concert uke, sat on a small stool the bedroom with music spread on the bed. :music:

Ukulele Eddie
09-11-2014, 01:45 PM
In front of my computer screen with my heels up on the desk.

I play like that so much that just sitting up to play feels awkward.

Must be a drag dragging a desk and computer to open mic nite. ;-)

I play in a large chair in the living room that faces the fireplace (which is simply a decoration in SoCal!). I tend to sit somewhat upright as I bought a footrest to put my left foot on. I use a music stand, too. I'm sure my positioning can be improved, but most of my practicing is grabbing 15-30 mins here and there so it suffices for that.

ricdoug
09-11-2014, 01:57 PM
Sometimes I just sit on my cajon:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/RicCajon.jpg

bonesigh
09-11-2014, 03:49 PM
Everywhere! Now a days a lot of playing goes on in front of the computer in a wing back chair for I am making YT vids. I've told my uke club leader if he really want's to hear me play well at open mic he'd better get a lounge chair up on the stage!

itsme
09-11-2014, 05:01 PM
I'm sure Harold O will build it any way you want. Harold O is an 'ukulele player and has told his 'ukulele sound more natural through the bass amp.
Many years ago I was told by a Guitar Center employee (so take that for what it's worth) that acoustic instruments sound better played thru a bass amp. With a bug up my bum, I bought a little Fender RAD bass amp that never saw much use. It doesn't take up much room, so that's not a concern. But I imagine it would fit just fine in the space of the Rockin' Stool. :)

I'm just saying if Harold is a uke player, he should consider that angle when trying to sell his stools.

TheCraftedCow
09-12-2014, 12:24 PM
My father in law made some little folding side tables . He made them with three boards 2 1/2" wide x 16" long. When folded, it is only 3" wide with a very nice support which makes a dandy handle to carry it Mine is the height of the bend of my knee (171/2") so it is very comfortable. Sometimes I put my inflatable Thermarest flat pillow on it with it about half way inflated. If anyone wants a dimensional picture with measurements, let me know and I will send a copy of it via the computer.

Fleapluckin_Flapper
09-12-2014, 12:35 PM
Depending on the weather and what time it is,I can be in my rocking chair,on the front porch,or sitting on the edge of my bed.

Slow Eddie
09-13-2014, 06:58 AM
I have stood, sat back in a cigar chair, on the edge of said chair, on the ottoman of said chair, in taller chairs in the kitchen and dining room, and on the edge of the coffee table, all with varying degrees of comfort and playability. I won a bar stool at a local trivia night and used that for a while, but my favorite perch has become a cajon that I picked up on eBay that was a NAMM show sample. Perfect height for me, and it will double as percussion, as soon as I repair the pedal for it.

IamNoMan
10-03-2014, 10:12 AM
When practicing I sit in a Shaker chair in front of the computer. not bad, not optimal.
When playing with others I prefer a stool, optimal.
When Singing in performance I always stand. best improves singing quality too.
Rocking chairs are very good so long as they have no arms.

However since the play(ing) is the thing, any posture or seating is acceptable so long as I can play.
My worst posture problem when playng uke is actually my big belly.:p

wrestlingmatt51
10-03-2014, 12:40 PM
Sometimes a comfort player, but usually in my swivel chair at my desk. I find myself resting my elbow on the armrest, not sure if that's the best posture.

kkimura
10-03-2014, 01:30 PM
At home I slouch in a straight back chair with a music stand.

At the uke club sessions I slouch in a plastic chair sized for preschoolers and read the music on a work/craft table also sized for preschoolers.

I slouch standing too.

SailQwest
10-03-2014, 01:42 PM
I sit anywhere and everywhere to play. Couch, chair, stool, steps, bench, floor, inside, outside, boat, car, plane... I'm pretty easy.

I also play a lot standing up, and even walking around. My band recently did a strolling troubadours thing. It was a hoot.