Where Do You Sit?

VegasGeorge

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Seems like a trivial question, "Where do you sit?" But actually it might be important to Ukulele practice. I suppose, the best seating would be in a solid, straight back chair, feet on the floor and shoulders back. Yeah, good luck with that one! I find myself doing most of my Ukulele playing in the comfort of my Lazy Boy, often with my feet up. I often have sheet music in my lap, so I'm hunched over looking at it while I play. I think the word "slouch" would best describe my posture.

I was just wondering if I'm alone in this, or are the rest of you guys comfort strummers like me?

Seems like a trivial question, "Where do you sit?" But actually it might be important to Ukulele practice. I suppose, the best seating would be in a solid, straight back chair, feet on the floor and shoulders back. Yeah, good luck with that one! I find myself doing most of my Ukulele playing in the comfort of my Lazy Boy, often with my feet up. I often have sheet music in my lap, so I'm hunched over looking at it while I play. I think the word "slouch" would best describe my posture.

I was just wondering if I'm alone in this, or are the rest of you guys comfort strummers like me?

The same, in a lawn chair with a cold one, wherever the mood hits.

Hmmm....perhaps a uku-seat could be in the offing, complete with music stand. There may be a business here for the enterprising UUer.

We have a room that we call the Library/music Room. It has an electric piano, bookshelves and it is where I keep ukulele and accessories. I have a music stand a straight chair and a short stool that gives me the best posture. That being said for every time I use the music room I play on the couch ten times
Cliff

Since I play the ukulele using a strap, whether I am standing or sitting (or where I am sitting) really doesn't matter because the ukulele is always in the same position relative to my body. That way, muscle memory can work because my hands are always in the same position relative to the instrument as my hands learn the physical shape and spacing of the instrument. I do the same thing with my guitar. I either stand or if I sit, it is in my recliner, but sitting upright.

Tony

I sprung for a music stand. I like a stool or straight backed chair and I also like to stand on my feet at times. But I play on the edge of the bed a lot too and sometimes in a recliner but not much anymore.

Another comfort strummer here. On my bed with pillows behind me,or in my chair in the yard with a foot stool.

At home, at a music stand, in a desk chair. But I also alternate standing since I spend so much time sitting at work - it's nice to be able to move around! And often standing is a matter of practicality - I find sitting on anything squishy, like a sofa, to make playing nearly impossible. And since I'm short, chairs that have arms are pretty awful too - I'm not tall enough for my arms to be over the chair's arms, so my elbows get all banged up.

Lawn chair on the front porch with my music on a folding table, or on my lap. Patio chair on the back porch, music on another patio chair. On my recliner in front of the TV. Easy chair in the front room where I can look out the front window, music on my wife's hope chest. Park bench at the park down the street from my house, music on my lap or on the ground.

I don't have a front porch or a garden. I live in a flat so my Ukeing is done from the comfort of my settee usually sat on the edge of the seat in a slouched position that is not good for my back. But then I've always been a sloucher. I would play in a semi-reclined position but I find that hurts my hand when barring. I think I may have a touch of arthritis in my hands so I try and keep my left arm in a good posture at least. Shame about the rest of me. lol.

What used to be my younger daughter's bedroom. It has all my music gear and books, PC all sorts of other clutter. I sit on a swivel office chair to play or sometimes stand if I am recording for You Tube etc.

Most of the time reclining on my couch, I also use a strap. I have nerve damage in my neck and shoulders, so reclining is the most comfortable for me. After an hour sitting up in my uke group play-alongs, I'm pretty fatigued, but even then I slouch in the chair.

Wherever. Couch, standing, bed...

What used to be my younger daughter's bedroom. It has all my music gear and books, PC all sorts of other clutter. I sit on a swivel office chair to play or sometimes stand if I am recording for You Tube etc.
Sub son for younger daughter and cut out the part about You Tube and that's me!

This is a good question! I have an old Victorian rocking chair with arms. It sits very low to the ground, almost like I am sitting on a stool - and so low that my legs are higher than when sitting on a regular chair. I have my laptop in front of it sitting on an old bench - if it was outside it could be used to hold flowering plants. My bed is adjacent.

This was a "temporary" set up that I have been using for 2 years. I spend most of my time here grading papers or surfing the Internet. When I started playing the ukulele last December, it was a natural place to play as I often played songs from my laptop such as from the Dr. Uke site. I can rest my arms on the armrests and the ukulele on my left leg. I can lay the ukulele on the bed when not playing.

But, I find that now I can't play from a regular chair - my legs are not high enough, so I need a stool to prop my left leg, and I can never get an armrest of a chair in the right position.

Someone had mentioned a strap - I am getting ready to take the plunge on an Opio, and will get the strap buttons installed by HMS, so I can play anywhere

I sit in my music room on an office chair with my music on a foot stool. I have two better places to sit with a straight, music chair and a music stand, or a drum throne with another old music stand. The office chair has arms and rocks back, and, while it's uncomfortable to play in it, I just can't seem to get out of it and play correctly. I play most of my other instruments while standing and/or pacing about.

After reading this thread I tried to play in my recliner, and I discovered that I can't... it just feels too uncomfortable. Plus, it was hard to play a barr chord, because my arm couldn't move properly.

I sit at the kitchen table in a straight back hardwood chair. One of my ukes resides in one of the chairs at all times and my binder with all my sheet music is on the table. This set up along with my tablet makes access to everything ukulele very quick and easy. I play everyday for 1 - 2 hrs and being able to just walk into the kitchen grab a uke, sit down and start playing makes all of that possible.

Typically, its a Herman Miller Aeron in front of my computer because that's where the music is (saving trees). I formerly had a chair without adjustable arms and those got in the way. The Aeron is great: just push the arms out and there's plenty of room for a tenor ukulele.

Playing a small guitar like a Taylor GS Mini still isn't workable in these office chairs though, unless you have one without arms. I remember going to the guitar store and asking for a recommendation for a new parlor-sized guitar that I could play in my chair. The salesman told me that it sounded like I needed a new chair. Ultimately, I think he was right. LOL. Or maybe I should just stick to ukulele.

Top Bottom