Season 130 - Reggae vibes

Yeti&Kira

Reaction score

Hello, fellow seasonistas!

We really love reggae music and a ukulele seems to be a perfect instrument to play reggae at home.

So we decided to host a REGGAE season here at the SOTU contest.

You can play a reggae cover of any song you want. It could be a well-known reggae hit (there's an example list below) or it could be any other song you like played in a reggae manner.

We would really appreciate if you stuck to the original upbeat downstroke reggae rhythm technique.

The prizes would be these traditional russian hats, so when the time comes we will pick two winners.

Here is one of many reggae HIT LISTs

The rules:
* The Ukulele should be prominent in your video but does not have to be present all the time.
* Maximum of three entries no bonuses please. If you want to do more send the rest to the misfit island.
* Multi tracking, use of effects etc. are permitted.
* Your entries should be a new recording made during this season.
* No entries before 00.00am Sunday July 10th and end 00.00pm Sunday July 17th Hawaii time.

PLAYLIST

HAVE A GREAT REGGAE SEASON!!

Last edited:
Well Ok Reggae it is. This should be fun!

Just home from a weekend at a folk festival. Will have to change my style a bit here. Should be fun.

Got my daughter, with granddaughter arriving tomorrow so will probably be later in the week.

Meantime need to check some possibilities out.

oooooooommmmmmmmmmmmmgggggggggg
dooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwn strummmmmmmmmmmss
:eek:

every day something new
something new to learn to do
:music:

Reggae Mon....me down wid dat an ting ya' knaw......oh I and I is looking forward to the challenge and have to look out me Revolutionary Dub LP....and some other 'erbs as well ....Jah Rule .......

CJ

Hello, Yeti and Kira! It's fantastic that you are hosting from Russia!

Let me pour us some tea...would you please tell us a little about yourselves? What city do you live in, and where did you learn English? Do you use English for your work?
When did you start with the ukulele and melodica, and where are you able to buy ukes? Do you play with friends or a local group?

Hahaha! Just do choppy and chunky upstrums.
i think i might!

i just tried a bit of reggae-style downstrumming and thought yeah this is cool and then i tried singing along and the wheels fell off!!!!!!!!!!!!

even upstrumming, the wheels fell off, but NOT SO MUCH!!!!!!!!

so............................................. we'll see!

plus a question for our hosts - will you have yeti's hat as a prize for the guys (ooh i'm a poet and i don't know it!) and kira's as a prize for the girls......................... or can chicks win yeti's hat? it's so cool!

obviously with my dodgy upstrum situation i'm not gonna get a look in either way. but i was just wonderin'................

So many songs I wanna do. Just gotta narrow it down to the handful I'll record. X3

No Oven No Pie

I got family visiting all this week and next, and will be spending
most of my time at the summerhouse building a summer kitchen.
But not wanting to miss this season I decided to go with an
irreverent Flashback, which was done by the Everly Pregnant Brothers

2014-08-09-416.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Yeti. Hi Kira.

Great choice. Love dem reggae riddims.

Would also like to wish you a very merry and happy reggae Christmas and New Years-

Ya mon

Hello, Yeti and Kira! It's fantastic that you are hosting from Russia!

Let me pour us some tea...would you please tell us a little about yourselves? What city do you live in, and where did you learn English? Do you use English for your work?
When did you start with the ukulele and melodica, and where are you able to buy ukes? Do you play with friends or a local group?

Hello! Thanks for the tea! We live in Moscow and we learned English at school. :) I mostly use Italian for my work, but yes, English sometimes as well... We travel a lot in our car so we meet a lot of interesting people and communicate using all means we got. Actually, one of the facts inspiring us to do a reggae season was that we just got home from the "ReggaeSunSka", a four-days reggae festival in Bordeaux, France which was really great!

I started playing Uke when I first came to know about this instrument, in 2004, I think. And I bonded uke and melodica ever since I saw GUGUG's channel on Youtube. The man truly inspired me... But it's so much more fun to play live not multitracked! So now Kira and I try to progress in ukulele AND melodica together.

We get melodicas in musical instruments shops. Plus there is a ukulele-balalaika shop in moscow. :)

We play in a local band. I play the bass, Kira plays on keyboards. But we mostly play punk-rock and surf music. No place for the ukulele here, unfortunately.

Heve a nice season! jah! rastafari!! )

i think i might!

i just tried a bit of reggae-style downstrumming and thought yeah this is cool and then i tried singing along and the wheels fell off!!!!!!!!!!!!

even upstrumming, the wheels fell off, but NOT SO MUCH!!!!!!!!

so............................................. we'll see!

plus a question for our hosts - will you have yeti's hat as a prize for the guys (ooh i'm a poet and i don't know it!) and kira's as a prize for the girls......................... or can chicks win yeti's hat? it's so cool!

obviously with my dodgy upstrum situation i'm not gonna get a look in either way. but i was just wonderin'................

Hey! we planned to pick a male winner for the black hat and a lady winner for the Kira's hat. Don't worry, just participate, who knows, maybe we can suddenly come up with an extra-prize! :rolleyes:

I got family visiting all this week and next, and will be spending
most of my time at the summerhouse building a summer kitchen.

Goodluck with the summer kitchen! "No oven - no pie" is a great one!! You should find a minute and record one more!! :)

Hi Yeti. Hi Kira.

Great choice. Love dem reggae riddims.

Would also like to wish you a very merry and happy reggae Christmas and New Years-

Ya mon

Welcome to the season 130, everyone! We do hope you have fun with this one!

I cannot do this reggae strum thing.....WTH

Get yourself together, man! Take a look at Pabrizzer! Now that is what I call swinging stepper riddim! So good!! :)

"No woman no cry" is a good choice, though. No need to study wicked strumming :)

Get yourself together, man! Take a look at Pabrizzer! Now that is what I call swinging stepper riddim! So good!! :)

"No woman no cry" is a good choice, though. No need to study wicked strumming :)

Listen Bob 'Yeti' Marley, I was together till I tried this reggae strum thing!!! I started the strum, stubbed a finger then fell into some sort of BEV up strum rant.

PABRIZZER nailed Uke4ia's song!!!!

Top Bottom