PDA

View Full Version : Loprinzi mahogany soprano...........what do you think

DownUpDave
08-10-2014, 06:13 AM
I am considering buying a Loprinzi mahogany soprano. What do you think of them, anyone own one or has played one. How do Loprinzi stack up against other instruments in a similar price point. Thanks for your help

UkerDanno
08-10-2014, 06:49 AM
personally, I would look for a vintage Martin...oh, wait, I already have one!

d-mace
08-10-2014, 07:38 AM
Two things I like about them:
1. Really thin neck.
2. The neck connects at the 14th fret to the body making the soprano scale feel a little roomier.

d-mace
08-10-2014, 07:42 AM
Also, a total bargain right now...$295 new!
http://www.hawaiianukuleleonline.com/hand-made-ukuleles/loprinzi-handmade-florida-usa-ukulele-soprano/loprinzi-handmade-ukulele-mahogany-standard-longneck-solid#intro
I just bought the maple one. I had one years ago and it's one of the few ukes I miss.

Down Up Dick
08-10-2014, 07:51 AM
Never heard of them--sounds Italian. Stradivari made some pretty good fiddles. Go ahead, buy one; ahh, you don't have a baritone or a Banjolele yet . . .

TJ Uke
08-10-2014, 08:07 AM
Two things I like about them:
1. Really thin neck.
2. The neck connects at the 14th fret to the body making the soprano scale feel a little roomier.

Long neck/"super-" ukes are where it's at!!!

SteveZ
08-10-2014, 08:14 AM
Have a Loprinzi Cherry Concert and it's a gem. Plays slick, sounds great and made about 75 mikes from my home. It's a quality instrument and a winner.

PhilUSAFRet
08-10-2014, 08:55 AM
http://www.hawaiianukuleleonline.com/hand-made-ukuleles/loprinzi-handmade-florida-usa-ukulele-soprano/loprinzi-handmade-ukulele-mahogany-standard-longneck-solid#intro
I just bought the maple one. I had one years ago and it's one of the few ukes I miss.

This an extremely great buy on a custom quality mahogany uke. You just can't go wrong if a uke like this is on your want list. It will continue to improve with time as all really good solid wood instruments generally do.

PhilUSAFRet
08-10-2014, 08:56 AM
Never heard of them--sounds Italian. Stradivari made some pretty good fiddles. Go ahead, buy one; ahh, you don't have a baritone or a Banjolele yet . . .

Means you should probably expand your knowledge of custom uke makers, especially American ones, LOL!

Yukon Cornelius
08-10-2014, 09:15 AM
I am considering buying a Loprinzi mahogany soprano. What do you think of them, anyone own one or has played one. How do Loprinzi stack up against other instruments in a similar price point. Thanks for your help

One of the best kept secrets out there. Handmade in America. Ukerepublic sells them. They do have a thin neck which I love. Build quality is as good as any k brand.

PhilUSAFRet
08-10-2014, 09:23 AM
One of the best kept secrets out there. Handmade in America. Ukerepublic sells them. They do have a thin neck which I love. Build quality is as good as any k brand.

Ohta San had Loprinzi build him a uke. Now the Herb Ohta Model: http://www.augustinoloprinzi.com/herb-ohta-signature-model.html

DownUpDave
08-10-2014, 10:59 AM

Great to hear you think so highly of them, I have been drooling over the Maui Music retro you have for sale..........somebody needs to buy that.

Funny story, the one that you just linked is the exact one I was thinking about buying. I like long neck sopranos and had emailed that store a few questions earlier today but with the time difference I did not expect to hear back until late EST.

Then you post the link, it is a great bargin as both you and Phil pointed out and I panicked.........thinking someone will now see it and steal it right out from under me. Well they can't do that because I just ordered it. All your fault d-mace :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

bunnyf
08-10-2014, 11:41 AM
I have two LoPrinzis. A custom mahogany tenor and a standard walnut soprano. Both very fine instruments. The soprano has a sweet, not excessively bright voice, very thin neck, excellent intonation and low action. It is somewhat understated in appearance but is a quality build with a meticulous finish. I wasn't looking for flash on this one ( I like the satin finish for our hot humid Florida climate, I find the high gloss too slippery when playing outdoors or poorly air conditioned venues), just a great player at a super affordable price. Got it new from Donna at the last TBUS festival for $300 and considered it an excellent bargain.

d-mace
08-10-2014, 11:57 AM
Downupdave, sweet! You were missing a nice mahogany soprano in your signature.

Bunny, can you post a pic of your walnut soprano...I've never seen one with that wood. Sounds nice!

bunnyf
08-10-2014, 12:48 PM
Here you go! I liken walnut to mahogany, kinda mellow but still sweet.69828

d-mace
08-10-2014, 01:02 PM
Nice! Binding also!

Nickie
08-10-2014, 01:22 PM
Yes, get it! It's a steal at that price. Donna LoPrinzi is the builder now, (Augustino's daughter), and she learned well. Her instruments are impeccable, and there is a year waiting list. A friend of mine just ordered a concert from her. Steve Boisen has a cherry LoPrinzi, and it's the best sounding uke I've ever heard around here. LoPrinzi is also a sponsor of TBUS.

keod
08-10-2014, 01:58 PM
:(
Great to hear you think so highly of them, I have been drooling over the Maui Music retro you have for sale..........somebody needs to buy that.

Funny story, the one that you just linked is the exact one I was thinking about buying. I like long neck sopranos and had emailed that store a few questions earlier today but with the time difference I did not expect to hear back until late EST.

Then you post the link, it is a great bargin as both you and Phil pointed out and I panicked.........thinking someone will now see it and steal it right out from under me. Well they can't do that because I just ordered it. All your fault d-mace

If you hadn't snapped at this quite so quick, I would have LOL. I've been looking for longneck soprano for a long now but nothing else has struck my fancy that is within my budget :(. Your gain, my loss. Enjoy.

DownUpDave
08-10-2014, 02:11 PM

If you hadn't snapped at this quite so quick, I would have LOL. I've been looking for longneck soprano for a long now but nothing else has struck my fancy that is within my budget :(. Your gain, my loss. Enjoy.

Yea I have been looking for a while now myself. Almost bought a Kelii and was just looking at the KPK, thread on them here in "uke talk" with a link. Saw this and figured I had better jump on it. Hope you find what you are looking for, best of luck.

1300cc
08-10-2014, 11:33 PM
I own a solid mahogany soprano AMS, if I can return it I'll send it back. The frets have sharp edges, always need to tune it. I can't believed the frets on my $25 mahalo is much smoothier compared to loprinzi soprano I bought it online from HMS a year ago.

Skinny Money McGee
08-11-2014, 02:00 AM

Looks like they have more than one. Still says "In Stock", and allows you to add it to your cart. Thinking about it myself

ukegirl
08-11-2014, 03:00 AM
I was a proud owner...a very fine Ukulele, I think you will be pleased!

wayfarer75
08-11-2014, 04:01 AM
I own a solid mahogany soprano AMS, if I can return it I'll send it back. The frets have sharp edges, always need to tune it. I can't believed the frets on my $25 mahalo is much smoothier compared to loprinzi soprano I bought it online from HMS a year ago.

Wouldn't the fret issue be an easy fix? I think I would do that myself and I'm really gun-shy about tinkering with my ukes.

I briefly owned a LoPrinzi soprano and had to return it due to a twisted neck. It had done some traveling before it got to me, so I think that was the likely cause. It was nearly flawless otherwise, so I really doubt it left the LoPrinzi shop like that.

PhilUSAFRet
08-11-2014, 04:06 AM
I'm sure Donna would readily fix anything like that............if..........it's a problem. The LoPrinzi's I've seen and played have had no "issues."

wayfarer75
08-11-2014, 12:55 PM
I'm sure Donna would readily fix anything like that............if..........it's a problem. The LoPrinzi's I've seen and played have had no "issues."

That's a good point. And believe me, my own experience hasn't deterred me from wanting another LoPrinzi. I thought long and hard before I made the return. Now I plan on getting a tenor, after I buy a Kamaka pineapple. They are such a great deal, even when not on sale.

sam13
08-11-2014, 02:59 PM

Then you post the link, it is a great bargin as both you and Phil pointed out and I panicked.........thinking someone will now see it and steal it right out from under me. Well they can't do that because I just ordered it. All your fault d-mace :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Don't let fear run your UAS, young man ... look forward to strumming the heck out of it! What is that now, eight?

GinnyT11
08-11-2014, 03:31 PM
I have a Loprinzi soprano, with cedar top and mahogany back and sides. I've had it for some time and I really enjoy it.

However, if I wanted to buy an excellent mahogany soprano, I'd buy dirtiestkidever's Timms Style 0 mahogany soprano (see his thread in the Marketplace section). I'd be after that uke myself, but I have one of my own, which is spectacular in form, finish and sound.

UkerDanno
08-11-2014, 05:40 PM
I have a Loprinzi soprano, with cedar top and mahogany back and sides. I've had it for some time and I really enjoy it.

However, if I wanted to buy an excellent mahogany soprano, I'd buy dirtiestkidever's Timms Style 0 mahogany soprano (see his thread in the Marketplace section). I'd be after that uke myself, but I have one of my own, which is spectacular in form, finish and sound.

I second that...:shaka:

DownUpDave
08-11-2014, 11:24 PM

Ginny, I agree 100% with you on the Timms. I only like the super soprano neck length, the AS-4 that I own is a long neck. I also looked at the long neck Kelii but I feel the Loprinzi is a better instrument so I have purchased it. Now we wait from Hawaii to just outside Toronto, Canada. Should get here before the snow flies ;)

rappsy
08-22-2014, 08:56 AM

Just missed the boat on this one. I called them today and they are out of stock on it. They are not expecting anymore.

DownUpDave
08-22-2014, 10:16 AM
Just missed the boat on this one. I called them today and they are out of stock on it. They are not expecting anymore.

I got the one and only one they had. I asked him if the picture was of the actual uke and he said yes. I am still waiting on it, been 11 days now. USPS tracking says it is still at Canada customs since the 18th............waiting is the hardest part, sounds like the words to a song :music:

seneystretch
08-23-2014, 09:31 AM

Mosey on down to http://www.sprucetreemusic.com/ukes_loprinzi.html .

They gots wut u wants. And they're a great dealer.

I have an LP koa concert, a work of art. You'll keep it for a lifetime.

rappsy
08-23-2014, 11:21 AM
Mosey on down to http://www.sprucetreemusic.com/ukes_loprinzi.html .

They gots wut u wants. And they're a great dealer.

I have an LP koa concert, a work of art. You'll keep it for a lifetime.
Thanks for the link. I called them and they did not have the long necks. They are expecting the Concerts in soon.

If anybody who recently bought the Loprinz AM-S-LN longneck and has changed their minds or has buyers remorse, let me know. I am interested.

DownUpDave
08-23-2014, 12:22 PM
Thanks for the link. I called them and they did not have the long necks. They are expecting the Concerts in soon.

If anybody who recently bought the Loprinz AM-S-LN longneck and has changed their minds or has buyers remorse, let me know. I am interested.

I would sell you mine but I don't have it yet :wtf: Maybe I should actually play it first before selling it :music:

1300cc
08-23-2014, 01:31 PM
Im selling mine but im down under

rappsy
08-23-2014, 01:32 PM
I would sell you mine but I don't have it yet :wtf: Maybe I should actually play it first before selling it :music:
Play it and then review it please. (When it comes in of course.:D ) I am curious as I don't find anything on it other than it's a Loprinzi. I talked to Donna Loprinzi and it is one of hers. They sell it directly to HawaiianOnlineOutlet, not on their own site.