Loprinzi mahogany soprano...........what do you think

DownUpDave

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I am considering buying a Loprinzi mahogany soprano. What do you think of them, anyone own one or has played one. How do Loprinzi stack up against other instruments in a similar price point. Thanks for your help

personally, I would look for a vintage Martin...oh, wait, I already have one!

Two things I like about them:
1. Really thin neck.
2. The neck connects at the 14th fret to the body making the soprano scale feel a little roomier.

Never heard of them--sounds Italian. Stradivari made some pretty good fiddles. Go ahead, buy one; ahh, you don't have a baritone or a Banjolele yet . . .

Two things I like about them:
1. Really thin neck.
2. The neck connects at the 14th fret to the body making the soprano scale feel a little roomier.

Long neck/"super-" ukes are where it's at!!!

Have a Loprinzi Cherry Concert and it's a gem. Plays slick, sounds great and made about 75 mikes from my home. It's a quality instrument and a winner.

Also, a total bargain right now...$295 new!
http://www.hawaiianukuleleonline.com/hand-made-ukuleles/loprinzi-handmade-florida-usa-ukulele-soprano/loprinzi-handmade-ukulele-mahogany-standard-longneck-solid#intro
I just bought the maple one. I had one years ago and it's one of the few ukes I miss.

This an extremely great buy on a custom quality mahogany uke. You just can't go wrong if a uke like this is on your want list. It will continue to improve with time as all really good solid wood instruments generally do.

I am considering buying a Loprinzi mahogany soprano. What do you think of them, anyone own one or has played one. How do Loprinzi stack up against other instruments in a similar price point. Thanks for your help

One of the best kept secrets out there. Handmade in America. Ukerepublic sells them. They do have a thin neck which I love. Build quality is as good as any k brand.

Also, a total bargain right now...$295 new!
http://www.hawaiianukuleleonline.com/hand-made-ukuleles/loprinzi-handmade-florida-usa-ukulele-soprano/loprinzi-handmade-ukulele-mahogany-standard-longneck-solid#intro
I just bought the maple one. I had one years ago and it's one of the few ukes I miss.

Great to hear you think so highly of them, I have been drooling over the Maui Music retro you have for sale..........somebody needs to buy that.

Funny story, the one that you just linked is the exact one I was thinking about buying. I like long neck sopranos and had emailed that store a few questions earlier today but with the time difference I did not expect to hear back until late EST.

Then you post the link, it is a great bargin as both you and Phil pointed out and I panicked.........thinking someone will now see it and steal it right out from under me. Well they can't do that because I just ordered it. All your fault d-mace :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Last edited:
I have two LoPrinzis. A custom mahogany tenor and a standard walnut soprano. Both very fine instruments. The soprano has a sweet, not excessively bright voice, very thin neck, excellent intonation and low action. It is somewhat understated in appearance but is a quality build with a meticulous finish. I wasn't looking for flash on this one ( I like the satin finish for our hot humid Florida climate, I find the high gloss too slippery when playing outdoors or poorly air conditioned venues), just a great player at a super affordable price. Got it new from Donna at the last TBUS festival for $300 and considered it an excellent bargain.

Downupdave, sweet! You were missing a nice mahogany soprano in your signature.

Bunny, can you post a pic of your walnut soprano...I've never seen one with that wood. Sounds nice!

Yes, get it! It's a steal at that price. Donna LoPrinzi is the builder now, (Augustino's daughter), and she learned well. Her instruments are impeccable, and there is a year waiting list. A friend of mine just ordered a concert from her. Steve Boisen has a cherry LoPrinzi, and it's the best sounding uke I've ever heard around here. LoPrinzi is also a sponsor of TBUS.

:(
Great to hear you think so highly of them, I have been drooling over the Maui Music retro you have for sale..........somebody needs to buy that.

Funny story, the one that you just linked is the exact one I was thinking about buying. I like long neck sopranos and had emailed that store a few questions earlier today but with the time difference I did not expect to hear back until late EST.

Then you post the link, it is a great bargin as both you and Phil pointed out and I panicked.........thinking someone will now see it and steal it right out from under me. Well they can't do that because I just ordered it. All your fault d-mace

If you hadn't snapped at this quite so quick, I would have LOL. I've been looking for longneck soprano for a long now but nothing else has struck my fancy that is within my budget :(. Your gain, my loss. Enjoy.

:(

If you hadn't snapped at this quite so quick, I would have LOL. I've been looking for longneck soprano for a long now but nothing else has struck my fancy that is within my budget :(. Your gain, my loss. Enjoy.

Yea I have been looking for a while now myself. Almost bought a Kelii and was just looking at the KPK, thread on them here in "uke talk" with a link. Saw this and figured I had better jump on it. Hope you find what you are looking for, best of luck.

I own a solid mahogany soprano AMS, if I can return it I'll send it back. The frets have sharp edges, always need to tune it. I can't believed the frets on my $25 mahalo is much smoothier compared to loprinzi soprano I bought it online from HMS a year ago.

Top Bottom