Yawning...

ShortCut

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I've been singing more and more lately, but from some odd reason, everytime I sing, I just start yawning in the middle of a song, and I do it 2-3 times every song I sing, It's quite annoying, and I can't figure out what is making it happen.. I'm not tired or anything... any suggestions on how to fix this?

Mitch

I had a similar problem, except mine was minor cough. Fixed it by being conscious of my breathing, taking deeper breaths, and keeping my posture more straight. I usually play while sitting, so slouching was easy to do. It comes back now and then to remind me of the details...

I'm no expert, but I'm inclined to agree with Harold.

Yawning (so I've heard) is sometimes due to a lack of oxygen. So it's probably a breathing thing.

JJ

Yawning also is a mechanism designed to cool our brains actually too. Btw this happens to me also ALL the time! I know this might sound weird but it works for me: try not to open yur mouth AS wide. If you do, yur brain might think you already have yawned and you know how yawns are contagious? Same goes when you are alone.

Yawning also is a mechanism designed to cool our brains actually too. Btw this happens to me also ALL the time! I know this might sound weird but it works for me: try not to open yur mouth AS wide. If you do, yur brain might think you already have yawned and you know how yawns are contagious? Same goes when you are alone.

I actually just yawned seeing this thread! They ARE contagious! :)

I've read that yawning can be a response to adrenaline. Sportsmen often get it just before a race.

Ukantor.

It's also a sign of motion sickness. (A tip I picked up from one of my old flight instructors. When a student started yawning, he'd know it was time to crack open the air vent and call off stall practice. :p)

JJ

From what I undersand yawning after or durring singing is a sign that you are signing correctly as your embouchure is "dropping" so to speak (losening up). Embouchure is essentially your mouth and jaw. If you are constantly yawning though.... Thats a lack of breath. But yeah several reasons your body yawns :)

wow as soon as i clicked the thread and read your question, i yawned 0_o and i've already yawned about 3 times just now

yawning is also contagious over the internet. amazing 0_o

Interesting thread.
I have also read that yawning can be an indication that you need more oxygen, so I am inclined to agree with the deeper breaths/better posture suggestion.

(I lost track of how many times I yawned by suggestion through the reading of this thread...) ;)

Occassionally I'll yawn by accident in the middle of a song. Its most annoying when I'm filming for youtube when it happens hahaa :p

Hey. I actually had that exact same problem, and in my case it was definately my breathing. I countered it by taking deeper, more controlled breaths, especially after longer notes that I was holding for a while. So I guess the trick is being conscious of how you're actually breathing between notes, not just the notes themselves. :) Hope it helps you fix that little prob, I know how annoying it is!

... And I think yawning, at least in the presence of others, was considered a display of weakness by the samurai.

But, in this case I think its simply your brain picking up on a decrease in oxygen levels and hitting the intake button to increase ventilation. Good deep breaths will help, as will continued practice so that your brain realizes that this is normal. I experience this more when trying to play shakuhachi or throat singing, because it is a breathing pattern that is different than I normally use.

I had a similar problem, except mine was minor cough. Fixed it by being conscious of my breathing, taking deeper breaths, and keeping my posture more straight. I usually play while sitting, so slouching was easy to do. It comes back now and then to remind me of the details...

Nice advice, I had the same problem :D but that helped :shaka:

Top Bottom