Vintage 12 fret Martin Tenor Ukulele 1930's - 40's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tigershark

Reaction score
Lovely old Martin tenor uke. 12 fret style with faux tortoise binding. They changed to 14 fret neck sometime in the 1940's so this would be earlier. Original pin bridge with original ivory saddle. Super clean and would be nearly mint except for a small bump on the side professionally repaired with hot hide glue.

Frets just polished and set up to play with new strings. SOLD.

P8030119.jpg

P8030122.jpg

P8030152.jpg

Attachments

• P8030119.jpg
    P8030119.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Some more pictures. The mahogany is really beautiful, and the tuners are original as well.

P8030155.jpg

P8030161.jpg

P8030170.jpg

I'm open to offers, so don't be afraid to get in touch if you're interested in this one. I am happy to ship outside the USA.

Gotta picture of the repaired bump you mentioned? Where are you located?
Nice looking uke!

Agreed. And do you have a photo with UU label and your user name in it, please. I'm interested, depending on your location. Thanks.

I don't have the Martin book which helps identify the different years but I read on a Martin website that the 14 fret Martins started in the early 1960's.
I have a 14 fret one that came from a single owner with a hang tag and reciept dated 7/21/60. The T1 retail price was $69.85 and the reciept states it was bought for $52. Add $5. for a case.

So, your nice looking tenor is before 1960. Good luck with your sale.

I don't have the Martin book which helps identify the different years but I read on a Martin website that the 14 fret Martins started in the early 1960's.
I have a 14 fret one that came from a single owner with a hang tag and reciept dated 7/21/60. The T1 retail price was $69.85 and the reciept states it was bought for $52. Add $5. for a case.

So, your nice looking tenor is before 1960. Good luck with your sale.

I just referred to the Walsh & King book, and it says the same thing-- that Martin switched to the 14-fret join in 1960.

Agreed. And do you have a photo with UU label and your user name in it, please. I'm interested, depending on your location. Thanks.

Hey Cool what year did Martin start/stop stamping their logo on the inside of the body?...I just saw one..pre or post 1951? or do you know more info...

Wow, people found my thread :) Hey guys, I recognize some of you folks. I'm in S Florida. Coolkayaker, I think I sold you a 2K a while back. I probably have your email somewhere and will send you a message.

Dating these is sort of a voodoo thing, isn't it? I'm kind of going by Martin's own literature on the Brudda Iz model that calls his uke a 50's, I figured the 12 > 14 change was sometime before then. So probably a circa 1940's ukulele.

There is a picture of the repair above, here is another one. Anyone that wants more pictures, just send a pm with your email, I took at least 30 photos. I'll give you my phone number by pm if you want to chat. Will work on that hostage photo as well :)

P8030133.jpg

I hope I did this right, I've never taken a hostage photo before!

P8150033.jpg

I'm not surprised you guys didn't see the repair on the side in the first photo, it's not noticeable at all. Here is a photo with the flash to try to make it look as obvious and bad as possible. It's otherwise near mint and completely original.

P8150034.jpg

It is from counting the amount of frets on the neck to where it joins to the body.

Ha! You're a person of few words! Well, anyway, I've got the idea. I'll look it up somewhere else to get the whole story. Thanks again for your help.

To clear up the dating, I got out my Martin technical reference book, latest edition, and...

1936 change to tortoise binding
1940s change from 12 fret to 14 fret neck

So this uke was made at some point between those dates.

The Walsh & King Martin Ukulele book states the 14 fret to body neck first appeared in 1960. (page 163)

Len, I didn't think Martin ever stopped stamping their name inThe soundhole. Did they?

I don't have Walsh and King beside me, but three have posted that fourteen frets to the body started in 1960, around the time Made In America was added to the soundhole stamp (1962 onward, I think). I own a tenor much like tiger's, and mine is late 40s to early 50s, I'm guessing. I could be off, though. About the only thing one has to go on for these tenors was the frets and the tuners.

These are outstanding instruments, certainly. Mahogany, great tone, and a slim and fast neck. Tiger's right, I did buy a soprano Martin from him in the past--outstanding, honest gentleman, absolutely. Someone grab this...it looks lovely and I'm sure it must sound fabulous. And look at that tortoise binding--so yummy that I want to lick it! Yes, with my tongue.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom