20" v. 19" baritone

chuck in ny

Reaction score
would anyone care to comment on playing preferences, advantages and disadvantages, between baritone scales?

I really prefer 19". It's just more comfortable to me. Less finger stretch on the lower frets. The only disadvantage to 19" that I can think of is that there aren't many to choose him. Bruko is the only new one I know of except for some "long scale tenor" like Mele and Kamaka (I think). Lots of vintage baris were made in 19" though. There must be some advantage to 20" since it is the new standard so I'm curious to see the other responses.

jim

i am playing a koloa 20" scale and not only the full scale but a large body. it does have very nice mahogany tone,, but i would prefer tighter frets. thanks for the comments.

If you want to get a feel for 19" scale just put a capo at the first fret or your koloa. I did that with my first bari, a Lanikai laminate mahogany, and it was enough to convince me to get the Bruko.

I really prefer the 19-inch scale baritone. I've got an old Favilla baritone that has great tone and is 19-inch scale.
The 19-inch scale also has lower tension than a 20-inch scale, if that is a preference. Easier to reach some chords on the shorter scale.

+1 for the 19". I have an old Giannini that is 19" and a Tacoma Papoose short scale travel guitar that is 19.25". My Martin bari is 20" and it is a harder stretch, so my reach can be a fret shorter. The advantage would be my guess a touch deeper sound.

I am a rank beginner. I can barely spell ukulele. However, I do own a Lanikai LU-21b. I picked it over the others at the store because it sounded richest and cleanest to me. That isn't much to offer, but hopefully it will give some value.
Mark

i received a reply from tekla at kamaka. she spoke with casey who recommended the long neck tenor be strung low G and fitted with baritone strings would have a different sound than the baritone.
i don't think i would get creative with this one. whatever the factory recommends.

I really prefer the 19-inch scale baritone. I've got an old Favilla baritone that has great tone and is 19-inch scale.
The 19-inch scale also has lower tension than a 20-inch scale, if that is a preference. Easier to reach some chords on the shorter scale.
me too, I like the 19 inch scale so much I bought a 2nd Favilla , so I now have 1 tuned G and one C. I paid 2x as much for my 2nd one, but it is in much better shape than the first. I've been through a lot of nice baritones, Martin, Gibson, an older pono that had a 21 inch scale, and I still have a AG Vega with a 21.5 inch scale. I really prefer playing my Favillas, and my Koaloha tenor. I really like the neck on the Favilla,it's thick,almost a v shape at the nut, but comfy, and the body is smaller and deeper, and I love the tone , the light build, and the simple understated looks.. I also have a Favilla soprano that is nice, but doesn't get much play as I prefer the tenors and bari. I probably should sell it.

Last edited:
My Ohana has a 20" scale, and it's a stretch for me. I have medium hands I guess, and some chords even on a tenor are a bit of a stretch for me. That's why I like concerts so much.

I am waiting on a Pro Classic Pono Baritone and will string it with Mahana's ... I would like to use a South Coast string ... but Dirk doesn't have a Baritone string ... he did suggest another stringing ... anyone have suggestions on a SC set for Baritone?

I am waiting on a Pro Classic Pono Baritone and will string it with Mahana's ... I would like to use a South Coast string ... but Dirk doesn't have a Baritone string ... he did suggest another stringing ... anyone have suggestions on a SC set for Baritone?
you could use his HL_SW . I like his flatwound basses, but they are expensive. I have been happy with the Martin M630 set, about $5.

His classical metals if you want a steel string sound tuned to Bb or his HL-SW's tuned to a G or an A. I have his classical metals on now and they are incredible. They're thin and take getting used too. ALso had on a set of his HL-SW's another great sounding string. So far, Southcoast has the best string for me.

i received a reply from tekla at kamaka. she spoke with casey who recommended the long neck tenor be strung low G and fitted with baritone strings would have a different sound than the baritone.
i don't think i would get creative with this one. whatever the factory recommends.
Hmm, low G with baritone strings is going to be pretty high tension I would think since baritone strings would normally be tuned down to low D. Interesting.

you could use his HL_SW . I like his flatwound basses, but they are expensive. I have been happy with the Martin M630 set, about $5.

I am using SC wound 3 and 4th strings on my tenor and really like them. I don't care if the string is a little more expensive ... looking for something that provides wonderful tone, and hours of enjoyment. I am newbie so i won't be too hard on them. Thanks for the advice.

His classical metals if you want a steel string sound tuned to Bb or his HL-SW's tuned to a G or an A. I have his classical metals on now and they are incredible. They're thin and take getting used too. ALso had on a set of his HL-SW's another great sounding string. So far, Southcoast has the best string for me.

Thanks for the suggestion ... so, on the tuning ... why do people tune it differently than standard tuning? Could it be they just like the sound better? Or they have a lower or higher singing voice and like the key better?

I plan on using it eventually with my jazz quartet ... so kind of think I should stick with the standard tuning ... but I am open to hearing about it.

Dirk says it best in his tips:http://www.southcoastukes.com/tips.htm ALot of it is the resonance of the instrument. Different scale lengths sound (resonate) better in a different key. Most of the old jazz standards and tunes of yesteryear were written in Bb because they played with brass and woodwind instruments. According to Dirk,Baritones resonate best in Bb. They are tuned DBGE because initially they were designed for kids to learn guitar. Dirk explains it much better than I can.

Sam, check out SC's HU-NW -- hands down my favorite string set for any size. Re-entrant baritone tuning doesn't get the love it should; it's excellent!

Top Bottom