Vintage uke info

Tudorp

Big guy with a lil' uke..
UU VIP
Reaction score
Been awhile since I posted, but have been lurking for some time. I have an oportunity to purchase a vintage Kamaka, but do not know much about these. Not sure why, because I can't play much anymore, but do still love to hold, pluck and pretend, :D. Can anyone take a quick look at this and let me know what a good fair offer would be for something like this. Also, what does this wood look like to you? It's said to be from the 1960's. It is a soprano Gold label. Any further info would be appreciated, as well as what would be fair value on it.

00L0L_eQjUeQP2UMp_600x450_zpsd9d08e26.jpg

00y0y_eDIvPqylC4u_600x450_zpsa4e445de.jpg

00H0H_ebSf5FYHeR9_600x450_zps6d6bcad1.jpg

Hey there, haven't seen you in these parts in quite some time. UU's been having technical difficulties the past couple days so that might account for the sound of crickets chirping... I'm no vintage Kamaka expert but my guess would be it's koa (although they did make some mahogany models but the ones I've seen say "Kamaka Keiki" on the headstock). Unless there's something I'm missing that makes this particular model unusual in some way, I'd expect a fair price to be $350-$450.

The guy is wanting $300 for it. It has what appears to be a crack on the edge of the lower bout (seen in the picture). Easy enough to repair, but it will still effect the value of it. I was thinking it looked kinda blonde to be koa, but that could also be a bad picture or lighting. It looks to be taken with a phone camera which generally aint the best.

I come by and lurk several times a week. but, just have been low key really. Since my stroke, and not being able to play much, or very well, just don't feel like I can contribute much. But, still around.. ;)

Hi Tony, good to see you around. That looks like koa to me.

Hmm. That top damage really affects the value. I've seen newer Kamaka sopranos without damage go for $500-$600 recently. Check recent ebay auctions. Used uke prices have been softer lately. Here's a link to recent sold Kamaka sopranos.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=kamaka+soprano+ukulele&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&LH_Sold=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=10&_fpos=&_fsct=&LH_SALE_CURRENCY=0&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=200&LH_Complete=1

Last edited:
Glad to have you back. Missed you. I snagged a pristine white label for $199

Welcome back Tony!

Top Bottom