Cleaning uke strings?

Icelander53

Reaction score
Is it ok to use rubbing alcohol? I've seen that suggested for nylon guitar strings but don't know if it's ok on all the types of uke strings.

How do you keep your strings clean?

I wash my hands before I play.

I usually just take a microfiber cloth and wipe them down after I use the uke

the only strings I've ever cleaned are wound ones that tarnish/rust, and I just hit them with fine steel wool. the nylon/floro I just wipe off. doesn't seem like much sticks to them.

the only strings I've ever cleaned are wound ones that tarnish/rust, and I just hit them with fine steel wool. the nylon/floro I just wipe off. doesn't seem like much sticks to them.

Agreed, a dry cloth, or a very slightly damp one, is all you're likely to need.

If the occaision arose for me, I'd use soapy water on a damp cloth. I've boiled wound steel guitar strings in soapy water in the past ... works wonders, assuming the strings aren't actually worn, but I'd have reservations about doing that to nylon strings. Alcohol would probably be OK for any strings, but I'd not want to use it near the instrument for fear of staining the wood.

I always wash my hands before I play, and try to always wipe the instrument off with a dry microfiber cloth when I put it away. I would never even consider using rubbing alcohol on my babies.

i have been using the GHS string and fret cleaner on my strings, only because I have it. I think a wipe down with a soft clean cloth should do.

i have been using the GHS string and fret cleaner on my strings, only because I have it. I think a wipe down with a soft clean cloth should do.

Your strings definitely don't need something that indepth, but your fretboard thanks you in the long run.

I've boiled wound steel guitar strings in soapy water in the past ... works wonders, assuming the strings aren't actually worn...
I've heard of that, but for the little bit of extra life you'll get out of them, I don't think it's worth the time and effort. I'd rather just put on a brand new set that's going to last a while.

It never occurred to me tht strings would get dirty. My A strings gets really scratchy underneath, though. I just change them. Then everything sounds pretty again. (Actually when I changed my strings the other day was the first time I really noticed a difference. My ears must be getting better)

Chocolate leaves a really crummy looking mess on my Aquilas....so I switched to Worth Browns....no stains!

Chocolate leaves a really crummy looking mess on my Aquilas....so I switched to Worth Browns....no stains!

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Nickie if you like Aquilas just switch to white chocolate, works for me.

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Nickie if you like Aquilas just switch to white chocolate, works for me.

Well, shoot, I kinda fancy dark choclate...I'm getting used to the Worths....now I have to figure out what to do with the Aquila reds....

The only really safe solvents to use around uke finishes...unless they're polyester...are water and xylene which is often used to remove rosin build-up from fiddles. Alcohol is the solvent for shellac (French polish), and may or may not be OK with nitro lacquer. With polyester, you can use practically anything...acetone, gasoline, kerosene, lacquer thinner...yes, really. Just don't smoke while using them! Urethanes are not quite as industrial solvent proof.

The damp cloth suggestions are right on the mark.

If they need cleaned, they need replaced!

Top Bottom