Old Finger

VegasGeorge

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
"Old Finger," is not "Gold finger," but can be sung to the same tune. Old finger is what I have on my left hand. When I was playing Uke 15 years ago, my fingers were fine. They were flexible and moved easily from chord to chord. Now, as I'm pushing 70, I wake up with stiff fingers. It takes some effort to get them moving. It takes a while before I can make a tightly closed fist. There's a little soreness, but no real pain. During the day, I have to exercise my fingers to keep them moving easily. But they still don't find the chord shapes as quickly as they used to.

I'm sure I'm not alone in this. What do you folks do to combat this aging finger syndrome? Have you found any salves or ointments effective for keeping the left hand fingers limber?

I have tried pretty much every OTC product with no results. Physical therapists have used the warm wax bath on my hand, following an injury, but obviously not practical for home (too bad, felt great). I limit stiffness with moderate range of motion exercises and avoid overdoing other activities like knitting, keyboard and such, where your hand is in a cramped position. This seems to keep it under control. Now if I could just find a solution to the tendonitis in my strumming arm!

I have trigger finger in my left middle finger, yes that finger. Anyway I had a couple of cortisone shots they lasted about two weeks. My Dr. said I would be back when I couldn't stand the pain and discomfort anymore. I haven't reached that point. I do a lot of warm ups before playing ,they help a lot. I do scales, ladders and stretches. After about five minutes my finger responds acceptably. Good luck.

I have the same problem. My Dr. suggested that I start taking cod liver oil capsle of 1000 mg once per day. I started them, and within a week the stiffness pretty much subsided. So, I've been on them for a couple of years. A good quality pure Norwegian oil is the best..............in other words not the CVS/Walgreens special. BTW, also good for cholesterol(sp) management.

Wow, I routinely buy Cod Liver Oil by the gallon for my English Bulldogs. They get a tablespoon of it in every meal. I think I'm going to join them for a while and see if it helps me too! Thanks for the tip!

Wow, I routinely buy Cod Liver Oil by the gallon for my English Bulldogs. They get a tablespoon of it in every meal. I think I'm going to join them for a while and see if it helps me too! Thanks for the tip!

My 9 year old boxer is getting creaky I was thinking if it works for us, you seemed to confirm its good for dogs too.

As regards your Boxer Dog, look into giving him a glucosamine/chondroitin sulfate with MSM, like the Cosequin brand. That really helps the older dog move around comfortably. My dogs are young, and I give them the fish oil mostly for their coats. I buy it in US gallon size at Revival Animal Health, online.

Top Bottom