Any news on Aquila florocarbon strings???

DownUpDave

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
There was a thread a few months back started by Memo (sp) from Aquila stating he was going to be making florocarbon strings. Has anyone heard any more about this, I am in the middle of serious SAS and need more strings to feed the habit :drool:

Last edited:
Haven't heard, but wow, there are getting to be so many string choices out there it's getting redundant. while there is a lot of difference between nylon vs floro vs metal, for me there doesn't seem to be a lot of difference between the floro strings of the same diameter. . fishing line is fishing line. not that I don't like floro or fishing.

Haven't heard, but wow, there are getting to be so many string choices out there it's getting redundant. while there is a lot of difference between nylon vs floro vs metal, for me there doesn't seem to be a lot of difference between the floro strings of the same diameter. . fishing line is fishing line. not that I don't like floro or fishing.

I agree about florocarbon to a point, it is mostly subtle but once in a while is quite noticable. My Gretsch came with Aquila nylgut and it sounds great, those are staying. Funny thing was a friend was over last night we are playing a bunch of high end solid wood instruments with various floro strings, he plays the Gretsch and says "damn this inexpensive laminate with Aguilas sound really good. Others ukes I am looking for a specific sound so it is experimenting time, which can make you crazy.

I think much of the controversy about fishing line surrounds it's sometimes questionable quality and consistency of diameter. As a fisherman, I know that what makes a fluorocarbon line a "quality" product is it's consistency, and that some of the cheaper line is just Chinese "junk." That's what makes the prices vary so much.

There was a thread a few months back started by Memo (sp) from Aquila stating he was going to be making florocarbon strings. Has anyone heard any more about this, I am in the middle of serious SAS and need more strings to feed the habit :drool:

Have you try the Aquila red series?
Fantastic and particular sound!

I think Aquila make their strings from raw material, so they actually have a string factory and if they did make flurocarbon strings the strings probably wont be much use for fishing.
However, the whole fishing line thing is total elitism and snobbery at its worst. If fishing line works as a ukulele string and provides a good tone, and you can get it at a good price, why wouldn't you be using if? It is amazing that some of the people who rant continually about the price of 'expensive" ukuleles have a problem with using fishing line. The main issue with fishing line is that it is only available at a reasonable price in 100m or so lengths, enough to last several ukulele lifetimes, but it has a shelf life if a few years and unless you are stringing lots of ukes you will find it hard to use it all before it starts to breakdown. Also you might want to try some other strings once in a while.

As someone working in the string industry (and just having had a nice chat with our fluorocarbon vendor last week), I can tell you that the strings we get for our fluorocarbon sets are specifically made for the music industry, and have a completely different set of specs and tolerances from what they would sell as fishing line to those companies.

But, Bill1's point is spot on. I use fluorocarbon on one uke because it works well with that instrument; I use black nylon on another (all maple) uke because it works well on that one. Try out strings, find the one that works for you, don't chide the next person for using something different.

As someone working in the string industry (and just having had a nice chat with our fluorocarbon vendor last week), I can tell you that the strings we get for our fluorocarbon sets are specifically made for the music industry, and have a completely different set of specs and tolerances from what they would sell as fishing line to those companies.

But, Bill1's point is spot on. I use fluorocarbon on one uke because it works well with that instrument; I use black nylon on another (all maple) uke because it works well on that one. Try out strings, find the one that works for you, don't chide the next person for using something different.

Best string post award.

I am the same as you regarding strings, whatever works on a particular instrument is the best. I have 6 ukes and each one has different strings so I like all different kinds, I'm an equal opportunity employer when it comes to strings.

@ scatcat : Yes I did try the Reds and while I liked them they were a little too bright sounding on that uke. I will be trying them again on something different as I enjoyed the balanced notes from string to string and the playability.

I am the same as you regarding strings, whatever works on a particular instrument is the best. I have 6 ukes and each one has different strings so I like all different kinds, I'm an equal opportunity employer when it comes to strings.

Thanks. While the marketing part of me would love it if everyone played GHS strings, the musician in me is more concerned that everyone is playing, period.

I actually tried an interesting setup on Friday, as a friend (and high-end bass luthier) stopped by the office with a prototype tenor ukulele that he built for me to try out. It had two nylon strings, and two wound strings, tuned to C with a low G. The sound was nicely balanced and even and played really, really well.

I'm very happy to find information like this from someone who knows what he's talking about. I'd guess I've read 100 posts, (probably more) saying fluorocarbon strings are just fishing line, and I've always been very skeptical. These claims always seem to be based on suspicion rather than any kind of knowledge.

Thanks, O.B. Monkey. Your input is immensely appreciated.

I'm very happy to find information like this from someone who knows what he's talking about. I'd guess I've read 100 posts, (probably more) saying fluorocarbon strings are just fishing line, and I've always been very skeptical. These claims always seem to be based on suspicion rather than any kind of knowledge.

Thanks, O.B. Monkey. Your input is immensely appreciated.

Well, I'm sure some of it is that yes, they come from the same factory. And, given the history of companies putting out the same product with different names (much like how Pampers makes the Target Brand diapers, but puts different pictures on them), it's a natural assumption that the fluorocarbon company makes one type and then either packages it for fishing or for strumming. So, I can see that concern, and am glad that I can provide a little insight into it, which came at a convenient time because I was asking about some other gauges they offered and then said "Oh by the way, I have a question..." I certainly can't speak for ALL the fluorocarbon brands out there, but I know that ours are not repackaged fishing line.

But my bigger question is: why does it matter? Does putting actual fishing line (and there are some fine folk that have bought spools and made their own sets that way) on a ukulele make the strings any less vibrant, does it devalue the uke or the player? If shoe laces sounded amazing on my U-Bass, I'd run out and grab a set to at least try them and see, instead of poo-pooing it because it's not a "traditional" type of string material. Innovation stems from trying something new, and if putting "fishing line" on a ukulele makes it sound amazing and inspires the person to play an extra couple of hours than prior, that's totally worth it.

Sorry I brought out the whole fishing line thing. The point I was trying to make was, FOR ME, there didn't seem to be a lot of difference in the sound of the same diameter floro string. [I have never intentionally used fishing line on my ukes,but I would definitely try some if I could get a whole set of the correct diameters.] I know others with more experience may have a different opinion.

Top Bottom