Somebody stop me; UAS is banging hard at the door.

KohanMike

Los Angeles, Beverly Grove West
UU VIP
Reaction score
I just saw this electric steel string uke Tele look-a-like (I have a Telescaster guitar), but having gone through the long effort of buying that Alida steel string arch-top, then finding that when I received it, I really wasn't going to play steel very often, if at all, I'm fighting myself about this one for the same reason.

The price is certainly right, $140 US all in, but I haven't seen any reviews of it, other than the sales description on zZounds.com;

"Vorson Electric Ukuleles are the coolest instruments that we have seen in a long time. If you play guitar you are going to want one. If you play ukulele you will HAVE to have one. Dual single coil pickups provide excellent ukulele tone with nice variation via a 3-way toggle and tone control. The necks are very comfortable and the ukes are really easy to play because of the adjustable truss rod and bridge. Shredding on a uke? Absolutely possible. The real wood finishes are super high quality and the craftsmanship of the Vorson electric ukes is superb. All Vorson Electric Ukes come with a padded gig bag and cable."

Then I start thinking about using much heavier strings to thicken the sound. It comes with steel 009, 011, 016, 011 and in calling zZounds, he recommended flat wound D'Addario ECG25, 012, .016, .024, .032, .042, .052, or ECG26, 013, .017, .026, .035, .045, .056 (I would get two sets to be able to have reentrant tuning or low G). That thought is pushing me closer to buying it.

I posted in a recent thread that my way of dealing with UAS is not to have any excuses and go for it, but I guess I'm not completely convinced of that. (Please don't berate me, I know I'm nuts.)

Tele uke.jpg

Last edited:
Oh just buy the damned thing. I can practically see the "drooling" from Florida. What can you get for $140 that will give you this much fun?

Yeah just buy it. There was too many issues with the Aldila. I'm sure ZZSounds has a return policy.

We can do many things, but saving you, or anyone or ourselves for that matter! from UAS is not happening. We can, however, throw you into the fire! So jump in! It burns either way, so you might as well have a uke to shred on! I know I know. That was very helpful. :D

Mike, I hate to be an enabler, but . . .

I'm with everyone else. I recently bought a knockoff uBass for $120. Now, it buzzes a bit, and the frets are far from smooth, and I don't trust the intonation past the 6th fret or so, but, hey, loads of fun. As long as you see this as "anything fun is a plus", go for it!

There's nobody around here that will stop you!

Its simple I've come to terms with the fact I'm becoming a ukulele hoarder.

hehe Hoarders: Covered in fleas!

I think you're on the the right track now I'm trying to find a great low G for my Risa I find I'm looking at new ukes less.

It is a tenor! OK now you've gone and done it. But I'm awaiting a Pono from HMS in a few days so I'm in a good place to resist for a few minutes. I'm going to wait on you buying it and doing a review. One question is that being steel strings and electric would it likely take less finger pressure to play than a acoustic uke??

One question is that being steel strings and electric would it likely take less finger pressure to play than a acoustic uke??

I think that's all about the action settings, in fact I found the steel strings a little hard on my fingers with the Alida, that's another reason I'm looking at fatter strings.

OK, I'm doing it, if Daniel says it's OK, I'm going for it.

You said "Somebody stop me", I don't believe for a minute you really mean that but I will play along. Stop looking at and buying ukes under $1000.00. Your prefered low price points makes it WAY too easy to say "oh why not". That being said go on and buy this thing because..........."oh why not, its only $140.00.

You said "Somebody stop me", I don't believe for a minute you really mean that but I will play along. Stop looking at and buying ukes under $1000.00. Your prefered low price points makes it WAY too easy to say "oh why not". That being said go on and buy this thing because..........."oh why not, its only $140.00.

Done! (It won't let me use a one word post so these are more word.)

OK Mike, now that's settled. Could you review your Vorson? Like you said there's no reviews out there right now.
I've found that steel strings on a uke really don't feel that different from nylon, IF the uke is set up well and low.

I think that's all about the action settings, in fact I found the steel strings a little hard on my fingers with the Alida, that's another reason I'm looking at fatter strings.

OK, I'm doing it, if Daniel says it's OK, I'm going for it.

Well good, you just saved me from buying another ukulele. Just got the notice from HMS a few minutes ago anyway. Monday delivery.

OK Mike, now that's settled. Could you review your Vorson? Like you said there's no reviews out there right now. I've found that steel strings on a uke really don't feel that different from nylon, IF the uke is set up well and low.

Yep, I'll do a review, maybe even video. I ordered two sets of the D'Addorio ECG25; 12, 16, 24, 32, 42, 52 and will use 16 24 32 24 to see if I like that configuration. I also have the choice of 12 16 24 16 or for low G, 16 24 32 42 or 12 16 24 32. First thing will be to lower the action. I also really like that each string can be adjusted at the bridge for intonation, something that couldn't be done with the Alida.

Oh, and of course I'm going to change the knobs to black Strat style.

Vorson Tele knobs.jpg
black knobs.JPG

Last edited:
Spoken by a man that has a lower price point and will soon have 8 Ukuleles himself in about 8 months ... it is always a pleasure visiting Dave because I can get my UAS satisfied by playing with his ukes!

I agree with Dave, set the bar higher ... then when you get one, you will say ... oh, I love this tone and your UAS will be less satisfied with less expensive stuff ... I put money down on a LFdM ... gonna run over $2,500 ... and it will be so savoury ... April 2015!

Yep, I'll do a review, maybe even video. I ordered two sets of the D'Addorio ECG25; 12, 16, 24, 32, 42, 52 and will use 16 24 32 24 to see if I like that configuration. I also have the choice of 12 16 24 16 or for low G, 16 24 32 42 or 12 16 24 32. First thing will be to lower the action. I also really like that each string can be adjusted at the bridge for intonation, something that couldn't be done with the Alida.

Oh, and of course I'm going to change the knobs to black Strat style.

Vorson Tele knobs.jpg
black knobs.JPG

This is a really nice loping uke ... how does it sound?

Top Bottom