PDA

View Full Version : Somebody stop me; UAS is banging hard at the door.

kohanmike
08-14-2014, 05:12 AM
I just saw this electric steel string uke Tele look-a-like (I have a Telescaster guitar), but having gone through the long effort of buying that Alida steel string arch-top, then finding that when I received it, I really wasn't going to play steel very often, if at all, I'm fighting myself about this one for the same reason.

The price is certainly right, $140 US all in, but I haven't seen any reviews of it, other than the sales description on zZounds.com;

"Vorson Electric Ukuleles are the coolest instruments that we have seen in a long time. If you play guitar you are going to want one. If you play ukulele you will HAVE to have one. Dual single coil pickups provide excellent ukulele tone with nice variation via a 3-way toggle and tone control. The necks are very comfortable and the ukes are really easy to play because of the adjustable truss rod and bridge. Shredding on a uke? Absolutely possible. The real wood finishes are super high quality and the craftsmanship of the Vorson electric ukes is superb. All Vorson Electric Ukes come with a padded gig bag and cable."

Then I start thinking about using much heavier strings to thicken the sound. It comes with steel 009, 011, 016, 011 and in calling zZounds, he recommended flat wound D'Addario ECG25, 012, .016, .024, .032, .042, .052, or ECG26, 013, .017, .026, .035, .045, .056 (I would get two sets to be able to have reentrant tuning or low G). That thought is pushing me closer to buying it.

I posted in a recent thread that my way of dealing with UAS is not to have any excuses and go for it, but I guess I'm not completely convinced of that. (Please don't berate me, I know I'm nuts.)

http://www.fairfax67.com/images/Tele uke.jpg

PhilUSAFRet
08-14-2014, 08:24 AM
Oh just buy the damned thing. I can practically see the "drooling" from Florida. What can you get for $140 that will give you this much fun?

Dan Uke
08-14-2014, 08:34 AM
Yeah just buy it. There was too many issues with the Aldila. I'm sure ZZSounds has a return policy.

peaceweaver3
08-14-2014, 08:50 AM
We can do many things, but saving you, or anyone or ourselves for that matter! from UAS is not happening. We can, however, throw you into the fire! So jump in! It burns either way, so you might as well have a uke to shred on! I know I know. That was very helpful. :D

greenie44
08-14-2014, 09:20 AM
Mike, I hate to be an enabler, but . . .

I'm with everyone else. I recently bought a knockoff uBass for $120. Now, it buzzes a bit, and the frets are far from smooth, and I don't trust the intonation past the 6th fret or so, but, hey, loads of fun. As long as you see this as "anything fun is a plus", go for it!

UkerDanno
08-14-2014, 09:35 AM
There's nobody around here that will stop you!

Inksplosive AL
08-14-2014, 09:50 AM
Its simple I've come to terms with the fact I'm becoming a ukulele hoarder.

hehe Hoarders: Covered in fleas!

I think you're on the the right track now I'm trying to find a great low G for my Risa I find I'm looking at new ukes less.

Icelander53
08-14-2014, 09:54 AM
It shore is purty. If it's a tenor size I'm in trouble.

sukie
08-14-2014, 09:54 AM
All right. I'll do it.

Why do you need another ukulele? Why?

Icelander53
08-14-2014, 10:07 AM
It is a tenor! OK now you've gone and done it. But I'm awaiting a Pono from HMS in a few days so I'm in a good place to resist for a few minutes. I'm going to wait on you buying it and doing a review. One question is that being steel strings and electric would it likely take less finger pressure to play than a acoustic uke??

kohanmike
08-14-2014, 10:49 AM
One question is that being steel strings and electric would it likely take less finger pressure to play than a acoustic uke??

I think that's all about the action settings, in fact I found the steel strings a little hard on my fingers with the Alida, that's another reason I'm looking at fatter strings.

OK, I'm doing it, if Daniel says it's OK, I'm going for it.

DownUpDave
08-14-2014, 10:55 AM
You said "Somebody stop me", I don't believe for a minute you really mean that but I will play along. Stop looking at and buying ukes under $1000.00. Your prefered low price points makes it WAY too easy to say "oh why not". That being said go on and buy this thing because..........."oh why not, its only $140.00.

kohanmike
08-14-2014, 11:14 AM
You said "Somebody stop me", I don't believe for a minute you really mean that but I will play along. Stop looking at and buying ukes under $1000.00. Your prefered low price points makes it WAY too easy to say "oh why not". That being said go on and buy this thing because..........."oh why not, its only $140.00.

Done! (It won't let me use a one word post so these are more word.)

Doc_J
08-14-2014, 12:00 PM
OK Mike, now that's settled. Could you review your Vorson? Like you said there's no reviews out there right now.
I've found that steel strings on a uke really don't feel that different from nylon, IF the uke is set up well and low.

Icelander53
08-14-2014, 12:03 PM
I think that's all about the action settings, in fact I found the steel strings a little hard on my fingers with the Alida, that's another reason I'm looking at fatter strings.

OK, I'm doing it, if Daniel says it's OK, I'm going for it.

Well good, you just saved me from buying another ukulele. Just got the notice from HMS a few minutes ago anyway. Monday delivery.

kohanmike
08-14-2014, 12:30 PM
OK Mike, now that's settled. Could you review your Vorson? Like you said there's no reviews out there right now. I've found that steel strings on a uke really don't feel that different from nylon, IF the uke is set up well and low.

Yep, I'll do a review, maybe even video. I ordered two sets of the D'Addorio ECG25; 12, 16, 24, 32, 42, 52 and will use 16 24 32 24 to see if I like that configuration. I also have the choice of 12 16 24 16 or for low G, 16 24 32 42 or 12 16 24 32. First thing will be to lower the action. I also really like that each string can be adjusted at the bridge for intonation, something that couldn't be done with the Alida.

Oh, and of course I'm going to change the knobs to black Strat style.

http://www.fairfax67.com/images/Vorson Tele knobs.jpghttp://www.fairfax67.com/images/black knobs.JPG

Patrick Madsen
08-14-2014, 12:56 PM
Tried to close the door Mike but Daniels foot was in between it. Opps too late; Congrats bigtime.

ubulele
08-14-2014, 01:28 PM
Why do you need another ukulele? Why?

Because bling. ;-}

sam13
08-14-2014, 02:46 PM
Spoken by a man that has a lower price point and will soon have 8 Ukuleles himself in about 8 months ... it is always a pleasure visiting Dave because I can get my UAS satisfied by playing with his ukes!

I agree with Dave, set the bar higher ... then when you get one, you will say ... oh, I love this tone and your UAS will be less satisfied with less expensive stuff ... I put money down on a LFdM ... gonna run over $2,500 ... and it will be so savoury ... April 2015!

sam13
08-14-2014, 02:47 PM
Yep, I'll do a review, maybe even video. I ordered two sets of the D'Addorio ECG25; 12, 16, 24, 32, 42, 52 and will use 16 24 32 24 to see if I like that configuration. I also have the choice of 12 16 24 16 or for low G, 16 24 32 42 or 12 16 24 32. First thing will be to lower the action. I also really like that each string can be adjusted at the bridge for intonation, something that couldn't be done with the Alida.

Oh, and of course I'm going to change the knobs to black Strat style.

http://www.fairfax67.com/images/Vorson Tele knobs.jpghttp://www.fairfax67.com/images/black knobs.JPG

This is a really nice loping uke ... how does it sound?

kohanmike
08-14-2014, 05:30 PM
This is a really nice loping uke ... how does it sound?

Just ordered it today, will be few days before I receive it.

kohanmike
08-15-2014, 09:16 AM
Got a little confused with the string sizes so I made up a chart for myself. Hey, I just found two sets of flat wound strings by Thomastik in a drawer, also included in the chart.

Original:----09, 11, 16, 11

D'Addorio:---12, 16, 24, 32, 42, 52
makes hi G:--12, 16, 24, 16
or heavier:--16, 24, 32, 24
also low G:--12, 16, 24, 32
or heavier:--16, 24, 32, 42

Thomastik:---13, 17, 21, 28, 39, 53
makes hi G:--13, 17, 21, 17
heavier:-----17, 21, 28, 21
low G:-------13, 17, 21, 28
or heavier:--17, 21, 28, 39

Teek
08-15-2014, 05:34 PM
Buy a minimum $1,500 uke and you will think "Wow" after you have played it exclusively for awhile because it's so freaking awesome with the playability, responsiveness and amazing clarity and sustain. Then you will go back to the others and think "meh". Or not. My Collings and Martins mostly cured me.

kohanmike
08-16-2014, 07:06 AM
That's how I feel about my $370 Kala cedar/koa, it's the best sounding uke I have. I played a $1200 Ko'aloha the other day and I swear my Kala sounds just as good.

Rllink
08-16-2014, 08:44 AM
Buy a minimum $1,500 uke and you will think "Wow" after you have played it exclusively for awhile because it's so freaking awesome with the playability, responsiveness and amazing clarity and sustain. Then you will go back to the others and think "meh". Or not. My Collings and Martins mostly cured me.I doubt that I will ever own a $1500 uke, so I'll never know.

Teek
08-16-2014, 06:04 PM
It's all about priorities. I drive a 1997 Dodge, rent, don't eat out or go to the movies, dumped cable TV years ago, don't have an office job where I need nice clothes, have more than one job, and the clothes I do buy I get at Goodwill. ;)

bnolsen
08-16-2014, 06:41 PM
Mike, I hate to be an enabler, but . . .

I'm with everyone else. I recently bought a knockoff uBass for $120. Now, it buzzes a bit, and the frets are far from smooth, and I don't trust the intonation past the 6th fret or so, but, hey, loads of fun. As long as you see this as "anything fun is a plus", go for it!

that's a shame. the solid body white i got is great. problem is it drove me to get an ashbory fretless to get closer to an upright sound. i should have never checked Craigslist when i saw the ashbory.

I've been gassing over a vorson but 3 weeks ago saw a used but immaculate eleuke pineapple at gc. they still had it friday and i got it to take on my work trip next week.

i am curious about the string sizes and feel on the vorson. I'd rather not be forced into having to use a pick if i don't have to...and i think i would prefer the strat body version.

consitter
08-16-2014, 07:31 PM
I'm not going to tell you not to.

You'll get mad if I do.

sukie
08-17-2014, 06:34 AM
That's how I feel about my $370 Kala cedar/koa, it's the best sounding uke I have. I played a $1200 Ko'aloha the other day and I swear my Kala sounds just as good.

Really? I am NOT trying to stir the pot...I just find that hard to believe. I am also NOT saying that just because an ukulele costs a lot of money that it sounds wonderful. Truly I am not. But I used to own a KoAloha that didn't cost anywhere close to $1,200 (it was $660 w/pickup) and it sounded better than any cheaper ukuleles I had exposure to.

kohanmike
08-17-2014, 01:33 PM
I can't say I'm an expert, but I certainly have become better at hearing the differences of my six ukes, but maybe I'm being a little biased in favor of the Kala since I traded in three ukes for it. Before buying it, I did get very positive feedback from U-Space and Mim on how good it sounds for the money. When I played the KoAloha, I had the Kala with me and switched between them. The Kala did sound pretty good next to the KoAloha, but my playing ability is not all that advanced.

The Vorson Tele will be here on Thursday.

janeray1940
08-17-2014, 01:40 PM
Buy a minimum $1,500 uke and you will think "Wow" after you have played it exclusively for awhile because it's so freaking awesome with the playability, responsiveness and amazing clarity and sustain. Then you will go back to the others and think "meh". Or not. My Collings and Martins mostly cured me.

It's all about priorities. I drive a 1997 Dodge, rent, don't eat out or go to the movies, dumped cable TV years ago, don't have an office job where I need nice clothes, have more than one job, and the clothes I do buy I get at Goodwill. ;)

Agree on both counts. Price doesn't really have a lot to do with it, but after buying my Kamaka Ohta-San I don't really even think about other ukes. I do love my lesser Kamakas equally, but there is a difference - the one with the biggest price tag really is the nicest of the three. But it all comes down to whatever makes one happy - if a $140 uke floats your boat, hey, go for it.

(1999 Corolla, lifelong renter, few restaurants or movies, never owned a tv, and I choose my jobs based in part on no dress code so I can continue wearing mostly second-hand and vintage.)

sukie
08-17-2014, 03:08 PM
Agree on both counts. Price doesn't really have a lot to do with it, but after buying my Kamaka Ohta-San I don't really even think about other ukes. I do love my lesser Kamakas equally, but there is a difference - the one with the biggest price tag really is the nicest of the three. But it all comes down to whatever makes one happy - if a $140 uke floats your boat, hey, go for it.

(1999 Corolla, lifelong renter, few restaurants or movies, never owned a tv, and I choose my jobs based in part on no dress code so I can continue wearing mostly second-hand and vintage.)
I know I am veering way off topic -- sorry -- but I am curious, what is the difference between a Kamaka and Ohta-San Kamaka?

Nickie
08-17-2014, 03:12 PM
Janeray, you sound like me....I've never bought a TV....still don't have one....my car is an old bucket of bolts, I shop at thrift stores, don't go to movies, not a very good capatalist....but I don't have a Kamaka, either....although...:drool:
I think I'll just have to settle for really nice Ohanas and such....oh well, I wanna retire!

sukie
08-17-2014, 03:14 PM
....oh well, I wanna retire!

Me too!
And you are frugal and will probably hit it sooner rather than later.

janeray1940
08-17-2014, 03:18 PM
I know I am veering way off topic -- sorry -- but I am curious, what is the difference between a Kamaka and Ohta-San Kamaka?

So... it's this one (http://www.kamakahawaii.com/instruments.html#ukehb2d), in case you're interested in the specs. From a user-experience perspective: it's slightly larger than concert scale but not fully tenor scale, and for someone whose hands are too stubby to play tenor, it's a good size. Aside from the unique scale length, what elevates it above my more ho-hum HF-2 and HP-1 would include the ebony fretboard, the 14-fret join, and even though I'm not usually a fan of "bling" of any kind, I have to admit the binding and purfling are just gorgeous. All three of my Kamakas practically play themselves, but there's something about the feel of the upgraded fretboard that makes it even easier. I'd imagine it's the sort of comparison one would make with a Corolla vs. a Lexus - sure, they're both Toyotas, but the Lexus is a bit nicer Toyota. Not that I've ever been fortunate enough to have driven a Lexus... :)

janeray1940
08-17-2014, 03:21 PM
Janeray, you sound like me....I've never bought a TV....still don't have one....my car is an old bucket of bolts, I shop at thrift stores, don't go to movies, not a very good capatalist....but I don't have a Kamaka, either....although...:drool:
I think I'll just have to settle for really nice Ohanas and such....oh well, I wanna retire!

Retire, what's that?? :) I decided long ago that that was a privilege reserved for generations born before... well, the mid-sixties or so. I doubt that I'll ever have that luxury, but if I do, I'll spend it sitting on the beach playing my Ohta-San... the beach is free, at least as long as I can walk there.

Sounds like there are a few of us in the Bad Capitalist Ukulele Club!

Rllink
08-17-2014, 03:59 PM
Retire, what's that?? :) I decided long ago that that was a privilege reserved for generations born before... well, the mid-sixties or so. I doubt that I'll ever have that luxury, but if I do, I'll spend it sitting on the beach playing my Ohta-San... the beach is free, at least as long as I can walk there.

Sounds like there are a few of us in the Bad Capitalist Ukulele Club!Well, I am retired, and I'm not going to invest in any ukulele that I'm not willing to throw in a backpack and take out to the beach.

kohanmike
08-17-2014, 04:26 PM
OK, OK all, keeping to the subject, I'm really curious about changing the strings on the Vorson. I realized I have all kinds of combinations I can make. Is there a formula or a standard for the string size graduation? I have to calculate the percent of difference between the 09, 11, 16, 11 so I can apply it to the flat wounds I have at hand.

itsme
08-17-2014, 04:34 PM
I've been frugal since long before it became a necessity in today's economy. There was a point I spent a couple grand on a used guitar that was worth way more than the car I had at the time. It meant a lot to me, and still does.

But I really don't care about most trends. We all have our priorities. :)

kohanmike
08-17-2014, 04:41 PM
Well, it looks like the difference by percent does not indicate anything useful, it's not consistent from string to string, nor does it relate to using different size strings. So I'll just have to experiment with various combinations.

sukie
08-17-2014, 05:37 PM
OK, OK all, keeping to the subject, I'm really curious about changing the strings on the Vorson. I realized I have all kinds of combinations I can make. Is there a formula or a standard for the string size graduation? I have to calculate the percent of difference between the 09, 11, 16, 11 so I can apply it to the flat wounds I have at hand.
It is way too easy for me to go off topic! Sorry.

consitter
08-17-2014, 08:59 PM
All three of my Kamakas practically play themselves...

Well, if that's the case, I'm buying me a Kamaka, because I can't play worth a hoot. ;)

coolkayaker1
08-18-2014, 02:29 AM

JR40, your mention of the beach being free reminded me of a post on a blog from a long-ago blogger, and how there can be a free, public beach right under our noses, yet we, as a society, promote buying our own beach just the same. America's emphasis on private ownership over public shared ownership; a senseless philosophy less prevelant in other countries, I believe. Here's the quick blog post:
http://coolkayaker1.blogspot.com/2009/07/all-things-shall-pass.html

As to UAS, Kohanmike, if one considers resale, the cost of ownership of many ukuleles is not as onerous as it might sound. You're aware of this as you have had at least one uke on the Marketplace recently, Mike, so I'll say it for others. High-quality vintage instruments, or highly-sought production instruments (as in the Kamakas mentioned in these recent posts) are popular re-sale items. One-off customs by the luthier-of-the-month ukuleles are by far the hardest to re-sell (I learned that the hard way). I have found that tenors sell best, followed by concerts then sopranos, in that order (I haven't sold baritones to know where they fit, but I would guess somewhere behind sopranos and above bikinis at Christmas). If one wants to try many ukuleles, buying quality (used, if at all possible) and considering resale value would be wise. I know many exceptional UU'ers (DocJ, d-mace, come to mind) who buy and sell with success (although I'll have to get Ellery Queen onto why both my modern and vintage Martin Style 2s remain stuck in the UU Marketplace like barnacles on the hull of a ship).

((JR40: The H.M. novel took a couple slow-ish chapters to introduce the characters, but it's heating up well. Going into chapter 10 of about 30 chapters in total (it's easy reading; it doesn't sound like it based on being on Chap 10 already, but I read slowly, for content, likely an unwelcome holdover from my countless years of memorizing texbooks) and it now has mystery and lots of sex! Your library will have yours tomorrow--oh, joy! It's getting good enough that I pray it ends well--no "thud" to lessen the entire piece. Pray that the mystery has a plausible resolution. I can't wait to get your take on it. Did I mention the rampant sex? lol))

mm stan
08-18-2014, 03:08 AM
If you buy a good uke from the beginning you wouldn't have to do so many upgrades and actually save alot of money....wish I had done that
at least I could play alot of ukes good and many bad one down the line... UAS BAH impulsive Buyer yupppppp

janeray1940
08-18-2014, 04:59 AM
If you buy a good uke from the beginning you wouldn't have to do so many upgrades and actually save alot of money....wish I had done that
at least I could play alot of ukes good and many bad one down the line... UAS BAH impulsive Buyer yupppppp

Stan, that is a really good point and something I wish I had included in my previous post to the OP. While it's fun and a good learning experience to try a bunch of different ukes on the path to finding what you like, once you start to figure out what it is you like I think it's really practical to spring for the best you can afford and view it as a long term investment rather than something more... disposable.

JR40, your mention of the beach being free reminded me of a post on a blog from a long-ago blogger, and how there can be a free, public beach right under our noses, yet we, as a society, promote buying our own beach just the same. America's emphasis on private ownership over public shared ownership; a senseless philosophy less prevelant in other countries, I believe. Here's the quick blog post:
http://coolkayaker1.blogspot.com/2009/07/all-things-shall-pass.html

As to UAS, Kohanmike, if one considers resale, the cost of ownership of many ukuleles is not as onerous as it might sound. You're aware of this as you have had at least one uke on the Marketplace recently, Mike, so I'll say it for others. High-quality vintage instruments, or highly-sought production instruments (as in the Kamakas mentioned in these recent posts) are popular re-sale items. One-off customs by the luthier-of-the-month ukuleles are by far the hardest to re-sell (I learned that the hard way). I have found that tenors sell best, followed by concerts then sopranos, in that order (I haven't sold baritones to know where they fit, but I would guess somewhere behind sopranos and above bikinis at Christmas). If one wants to try many ukuleles, buying quality (used, if at all possible) and considering resale value would be wise. I know many exceptional UU'ers (DocJ, d-mace, come to mind) who buy and sell with success (although I'll have to get Ellery Queen onto why both my modern and vintage Martin Style 2s remain stuck in the UU Marketplace like barnacles on the hull of a ship).

((JR40: The H.M. novel took a couple slow-ish chapters to introduce the characters, but it's heating up well. Going into chapter 10 of about 30 chapters in total (it's easy reading; it doesn't sound like it based on being on Chap 10 already, but I read slowly, for content, likely an unwelcome holdover from my countless years of memorizing texbooks) and it now has mystery and lots of sex! Your library will have yours tomorrow--oh, joy! It's getting good enough that I pray it ends well--no "thud" to lessen the entire piece. Pray that the mystery has a plausible resolution. I can't wait to get your take on it. Did I mention the rampant sex? lol))

CK1 - we've had some issues locally with private ownership of beaches by the moneyed elite. I think there may only be one left. I'm in complete agreement with what said "long-ago blogger" posted - I'm not the owner of anything, just privileged to be the caretaker of a few nice ukes during whatever lifetime I may have :)

And that's a good summary of my experience in the Marketplace; every time I've seen Kohanmike's "bumps" to his post for the mandolele I've meant to address it with "give it time." I've only sold concerts and sopranos - the concerts sold within minutes; K-brand sopranos took a few days; my custom soprano took much longer. Even from a luthier with a strong reputation, customs are a crap-shoot; finding the right buyer isn't always easy.

(And my HM is still hung up at the library. I'm guessing the library clerk stumbled on to the rampant sex and decided to keep it for his or her self...)

coolkayaker1
08-18-2014, 05:55 AM
Even from a luthier with a strong reputation, customs are a crap-shoot; finding the right buyer isn't always easy.

(And my HM is still hung up at the library. I'm guessing the library clerk stumbled on to the rampant sex and decided to keep it for his or her self...)

mmstan, as usual, I agree with you. The new ukulele enthusiast, though, might not know which high-end ukulele to purchase straight off the bat; they may need to consult with you. :-)

JR40, your "Even from a luthier with strong reputation--" line is surely my experience, too. Well stated, so true. Add to that (only from my experience): ukes under $1k will sell. Ukes $1k-$2k, harder, decidedly more difficult. Ukes over $2k: seller better get ready for a skinning. Without hundreds of dollars discount, few will buy.

((It's too randy for a librarian, it'd steam up their eyeglasses. Please call them, remind them kindly that you're first on the list and that you must read it now to lead your "book club".));) (Warning: the writing is as simple as a glass of water, the metaphors are dissociated and odd, and the dialogue is downright hokey--yet the story itself has a rather eternal, almost magical, feel. See what you and your girlfriend think.)

sukie
08-18-2014, 05:57 AM
MM -- I say that repeatedly on UU. Nobody believes me. That's when I decided that maybe it's not the playing that is important. It seems to be the collecting that some people prefer. When I played clarinet I owned one clarinet. When I played flute I owned one flute. I played bassoon too, but it was on loan from school. Those are way too pricey for me. I guess if everybody liked the same thing the world would be pretty boring. But, man....the lateral buys do drive me insane. The sound may be different, but it's not very often that it is better. But, then again, it's not my money.

Rllink
08-18-2014, 06:08 AM
at least I could play alot of ukes good and many bad one down the line... UAS BAH impulsive Buyer yuppppppI guess that is logical, if you know what high dollar uke suits you before you even get started. I can promise you, you will not get a definitive answer here in regards to what is the best uke to buy. My In my case, and I think probably a lot of people are the same, my logic told me that I didn't even know if I would like playing the ukulele or not, and to not invest in an expensive uke before I even knew if it was for me.

RichM
08-18-2014, 06:13 AM
MM -- I say that repeatedly on UU. Nobody believes me. That's when I decided that maybe it's not the playing that is important. It seems to be the collecting that some people prefer. When I played clarinet I owned one clarinet. When I played flute I owned one flute. I played bassoon too, but it was on loan from school. Those are way too pricey for me. I guess if everybody liked the same thing the world would be pretty boring. But, man....the lateral buys do drive me insane. The sound may be different, but it's not very often that it is better. But, then again, it's not my money.

It's also possible some of us like playing AND collecting. :) They aren't mutually exclusive.

sukie
08-18-2014, 06:20 AM
Oh, RichM -- in my heart I know that. I'm not necessarily knocking it. I just don't understand it. Could it be because I spent all my ukulele money already?

coolkayaker1
08-18-2014, 06:23 AM
I'm not necessarily knocking it. I just don't understand it.

Hi, Sukie. It's elementary: buy for Y, sell for Yx2. ;) Then use money to fund lake house and hotdogs.

Admittedly, system is very dependent on the "greater fool" theory--someone fool enough to pay more than I did. But, then again, so are shares in the stock market.

Stocks held in a bank are less susceptible to a house fire, certainly.

So, full circle: you're right. It makes no sense.

RichM
08-18-2014, 06:31 AM
Oh, RichM -- in my heart I know that. I'm not necessarily knocking it. I just don't understand it. Could it be because I spent all my ukulele money already?

I think some of us just experience musical instruments differently. One of the things I've learned about myself is that my relationship with my instruments is evolutionary. For example, my go-to guitar is a beautiful custom by luthier Kevin Mathers. I took it in partial trade against an expensive mandolin that I really wanted to sell. I didn't want the guitar at all, but the buyer was short on cash and offered the guitar to make up the difference. I took it grudgingly, figuring I would flip it as soon as possible. That was six years ago, and that guitar is the first one I pick up when I want to play. I never would have chosen it, but somehow it chose me. That's why I steer clear of "holy grail" instruments; just like other parts of your life, sometimes you need to spend time getting to know an instrument before you make a commitment.

tbeltrans
08-18-2014, 06:32 AM

Well, that is what I HOPE happens for me. I have actually owned three ukuleles, though I have only been playing since the end of June. My first ukulele, a largely custom (read: expensive) Ko'olau was a straight across trade (no cash involved). It is strung in re-entrant tuning. I then learned about low G tuning and decided that, rather than always switching the G string between low and high G, I would get another ukulele and use it for low G. I traded some guitar pedals I no longer needed for a Riptide. Though it is a reasonable ukulele in all respects, there is a HUGE difference between it and my Ko'olau. Despite what we may want to believe otherwise, we do largely get what we pay for in instruments. I found that to be true with guitars and now ukuleles. That does not mean that less expensive ukuleles are junk - far from it, they can be quite nice. But there is something about high end ukuleles that is not duplicated in the lower price range. You know it when you play it is about the only way I know to say it. I tended to focus on the vast difference between the two ukuleles, rather than enjoying each on its own merits. That is my problem and maybe others here are not likewise affected.

I had the Riptide for just a couple of days when I had the opportunity to trade it toward a new Kamaka Ohta-San. I jumped at the chance even though this trade did cost me a fair amount of cash too. To me, it was well worth it. I enjoy playing these ukuleles daily and have no intention of getting rid of them, nor am I interested in obtaining still more ukuleles despite all that rationalizations I read here, just as I have read for so long in guitar forums. We really do believe this stuff that is clearly rationalization in hindsight long after the heat of the moment turns into past memory. I know this from going through guitars over the years and can clearly recognize it here too. There is nothing inherently wrong with collecting ukuleles, but having one or two really decent instruments, to me, trumps a room full of lesser expensive ukuleles (i.e. do we want to spend 100 dollars each on 10 ukuleles or 1000 dollars on one good ukulele - the money spent is the same in either case, the experience quite different). Being able to retire and have time to play is more important to me, by far, than having a room full if high end ukuleles. These are just my opinions based on my own experience so far with guitars and now starting into ukuleles.

So, back to my original statement...I HOPE that having two higher end ukuleles (one high G and one low G) will stave off UAS no matter how much UAS "drool" I read here. We do tend to egg each other on, much as a person standing on the ledge of a 20 story building and the crowd below saying "Jump, jump!!!", just as we do in guitar and piano forums and probably any other forum where all we can do is post rather than playing with each other and showing each other new licks and tunes in person. It is difficult, if not impossible to talk as a substitute for playing music, so the emphasis here will often (not always, since people here do ask and answer playing-related questions too) be on discussing instruments and gadgets rather than playing and using them, which we necessarily do offline.

Tony

RichM
08-18-2014, 06:34 AM
Hi, Sukie. It's elementary: buy for Y, sell for Yx2. ;) Then use money to fund lake house and hotdogs.

Admittedly, system is very dependent on the "greater fool" theory--someone fool enough to pay more than I did. But, then again, so are shares in the stock market.

Stocks held in a bank are less susceptible to a house fire, certainly.

So, full circle: you're right. It makes no sense.

I haven't made much money collecting musical instruments, but I have delighted in being surrounded by wonderful instruments, and having the luxury of saying, "I think I'll take the Compass Rose to the jam today, " or "I'm going to take the fretless bass to band practice tonight, and see if we can get some jazz on," or "I'm getting out the vintage Rickenbacker and play some old Who tunes." Life is good!

Mattyukaholic
08-18-2014, 06:59 AM
JR40, your "Even from a luthier with strong reputation--" line is surely my experience, too. Well stated, so true. Add to that (only from my experience): ukes under $1k will sell. Ukes $1k-$2k, harder, decidedly more difficult. Ukes over $2k: seller better get ready for a skinning. Without hundreds of dollars discount, few will buy.

((It's too randy for a librarian, it'd steam up their eyeglasses. Please call them, remind them kindly that you're first on the list and that you must read it now to lead your "book club".));) (Warning: the writing is as simple as a glass of water, the metaphors are dissociated and odd, and the dialogue is downright hokey--yet the story itself has a rather eternal, almost magical, feel. See what you and your girlfriend think.)

Janeray - I'm loving the Da Silva. I've been playing lots of jazz on it and have used it at a few classes already.

Steve/Coolkayaker - Hey, us librarians like a bit of filth every now and then. ;) You should have seen our recent erotic book display in the library. It got a few comments as you can imagine, but the books didn't last long!

Back on topic. I can see both sides of the same coin. I DO think you can be a collector and player at the same time as Rich M says. I have several vintage ukes and play every single one of them. I like the subtle different sounds you get from each one. It's like they all have a personality. BUT I'm so happy since I started reducing my collection to trade up. You end up with fewer ukuleles but each one is better than what you had.

janeray1940
08-18-2014, 07:13 AM
Janeray - I'm loving the Da Silva. I've been playing lots of jazz on it and have used it at a few classes already.

Back on topic. I can see both sides of the same coin. I DO think you can be a collector and player at the same time as Rich M says. I have several vintage ukes and play every single one of them. I like the subtle different sounds you get from each one. It's like they all have a personality. BUT I'm so happy since I started reducing my collection to trade up. You end up with fewer ukuleles but each one is better than what you had.

Matt, I am so happy to hear that! It's the perfect jazz uke, I'm glad it's being put to the good use that it deserves.

And while I'm not a collector, I think you're right. For those who can appreciate the subtleties between tonewoods and tunings and all, or who enjoy bringing a different uke to uke club each week, or whatever - why not.

I think the problem, if there is one, lies in the cutting-corners mentality - thinking one can get everything they want in a uke elsewhere for less. For instance, say someone falls madly in love with the sound and playability of a higher-end koa uke, but balks at the $1000+ price tag. They see an "acacia" uke on eBay for $100 plus overseas shipping, and on paper they think it's a great deal. The uke arrives, it disappoints - fair enough, not a lot of money lost, maybe you wind up with an adequate beater uke or a nice wall-hanger. That should be a lesson learned, in and of itself - yet I've seen people do this over and over, each time expecting the uke of their dreams, and each time being disappointed. Before you know it, you've got a half-dozen inferior ukes for the same money that one single higher-end uke would have cost. Not much of a bargain any more, is it?

Maybe it's not a problem, but personally, money aside, I can't imagine expending that much time and energy on shopping. Life's too short! But that's just me - to each their own :)

Dan Uke
08-18-2014, 07:19 AM
And not everyone wants to be good enough to play Troy Fernandez stuff. :p

As RichM pointed out, playing & collecting doesn't have to be exlusive of each other. Contentment comes in many ways.

Mattyukaholic
08-18-2014, 08:14 AM
I think the problem, if there is one, lies in the cutting-corners mentality - thinking one can get everything they want in a uke elsewhere for less. For instance, say someone falls madly in love with the sound and playability of a higher-end koa uke, but balks at the $1000+ price tag. They see an "acacia" uke on eBay for $100 plus overseas shipping, and on paper they think it's a great deal. The uke arrives, it disappoints - fair enough, not a lot of money lost, maybe you wind up with an adequate beater uke or a nice wall-hanger. That should be a lesson learned, in and of itself - yet I've seen people do this over and over, each time expecting the uke of their dreams, and each time being disappointed. Before you know it, you've got a half-dozen inferior ukes for the same money that one single higher-end uke would have cost. Not much of a bargain any more, is it?

You're right. If I could go back in time to when I started playing ukuleles and give myself one piece of ukulele related advice it would be to save up to get the ukulele I really want rather than buying every single $300 ukulele that took my fancy. I have lost SO much money over the years buying ukes on an impulse and then selling them on for less than I paid. Whilst I learned a lot from the experience I'm glad I'm out the other side and now I tend to stick to what I know I'll love (which for me is soprano ukuleles made out of koa or mahogany (and preferably by KoAloha or Martin!))

kohanmike
08-18-2014, 08:24 AM
It's also possible some of us like playing AND collecting. :) They aren't mutually exclusive.

I fall into that category, that's why I ordered the Vorson. I'm having a lot of fun shopping, perusing, buying. I say life is long (my dad went at 93, my mom is now 92), I semi-retired last year at 64, no wife or children, I'm able do what I enjoy, even with a fixed income. I may never be a great player (unless I buckle down and work at it), but I'm having fun playing and collecting.

We do tend to egg each other on, much as a person standing on the ledge of a 20 story building and the crowd below saying "Jump, jump!!!"...

At least with a uke when I jump, it's not to my death.

It's like they all have a personality.

That's a good way to describe it, even though all my ukes are so similar to each other. I play them all in rotation, which is easy because our group meets twice a week.

Mattyukaholic
08-18-2014, 09:28 AM
That's a good way to describe it, even though all my ukes are so similar to each other. I play them all in rotation, which is easy because our group meets twice a week.

That's one of my favourite things about having a few ukuleles. I love that moment before I go out to my group thinking 'which one will I play tonight?'

sukie
08-18-2014, 09:56 AM
And not everyone wants to be good enough to play Troy Fernandez stuff. :p

As RichM pointed out, playing & collecting doesn't have to be exlusive of each other. Contentment comes in many ways.
Thay don't????? :-D. Why not? It's a terrific challenge! And quite, quite fun. What a workout. I used to get exhausted playing On Fire. Now? Not so much.

I know what you mean, though. Truly, I do. I think the title of this thread was "Somebody stop me: ....." I was just tryin' to help. But I don't think I helped at all. Oh, well.....

coolkayaker1
08-18-2014, 10:29 AM
I apologize to my friend, Matty, for inferring that librarians are repressed.

Clearly those at his library are not. lol ;)

(You really are a librarian. Superb! I'm in a library right at this moment, in fact.)

coolkayaker1
08-18-2014, 10:39 AM
I do, again, like mmstan's idea to buy good stuff first. But, as some have mentioned, how does one determine their own personal tastes (nut width, neck thickness, wood sounds, etc.)? I suppose we could all just buy a solid-body, thin-necked mahogany tenor and be done with it, but--

Rllink
08-18-2014, 11:43 AM
That's one of my favourite things about having a few ukuleles. I love that moment before I go out to my group thinking 'which one will I play tonight?'Haha, that's good, because that right there would drive me nuts.

Rllink
08-18-2014, 11:46 AM
I do, again, like mmstan's idea to buy good stuff first. But, as some have mentioned, how does one determine their own personal tastes (nut width, neck thickness, wood sounds, etc.)? I suppose we could all just buy a solid-body, thin-necked mahogany tenor and be done with it, but--I'm not sure that buying something expensive, custom, hand made, or whatever constitutes a "good" ukulele, is going to stop people with UAS from buying ukuleles. I see expensive, custom, hand made ukes getting bought and sold almost every day right here. I'm assuming they were all bought because they were supposed to be "good", but it doesn't take long for them to get sold or traded off for the next "good" uke. So buying a good one isn't going to save anyone anything.

DownUpDave
08-18-2014, 12:06 PM
I'm not sure that buying something expensive, custom, hand made, or whatever constitutes a "good" ukulele, is going to stop people with UAS from buying ukuleles. I see expensive, custom, hand made ukes getting bought and sold almost every day right here. I'm assuming they were all bought because they were supposed to be "good", but it doesn't take long for them to get sold or traded off for the next "good" uke. So buying a good one isn't going to save anyone anything.

It is not so much the "saving" at the begining of this joirney it is the education from exposure, then informed decisions can be made.

Regarding buying then selling expensive ukes, it has more to do with personal taste rather than if it is good or not. I remember reading a post about one man's cast off is anothers holy grail. The poster talked about selling a custom he was not fond of to another who absolutely loved it.

tbeltrans
08-18-2014, 01:02 PM
Maybe this is fortunate for my wallet or simply a lack of physical ability, I don't know. I tend to get comfortable with an instrument and then I judge other instruments by what I am used to. As David Sudnow said in his piano course, your hands "learn the shape of the instrument". For me, it is a distraction to be constantly changing the distances my hands need to know to play what my ears want to hear. With two ukuleles, one in low G and the other in high G, there are enough sonic differences to keep my brain from thinking they are the supposed to be identical. But switching between two different low G or two different high G ukuleles would be initially confusing to my hands.

Also, I saw a TED (anybody else here watch/listen to those?) talk about happiness. The guy cited several studies have shown that people seem happier with fewer choices. If a person gets one thing and that is it, the person must accept it for what it is. If the person gets two or more choices, the person will be wondering if s/he should have chosen the other item, leaving a sense of dissatisfaction with the choice s/he made. With this sort of thing, I am sure it varies by person such that not everybody experiences that, but for me, I am glad that I am not looking back wondering if I did the right thing, so I don't need to continually compare what I have to what might have been.

Tony

janeray1940
08-18-2014, 01:14 PM
As David Sudnow said in his piano course, your hands "learn the shape of the instrument". For me, it is a distraction to be constantly changing the distances my hands need to know to play what my ears want to hear.

Also, I saw a TED (anybody else here watch/listen to those?) talk about happiness. The guy cited several studies have shown that people seem happier with fewer choices.

I appreciate knowing that it's not just me when it comes to the distances on the instrument - this is one reason why my soprano uke is being neglected, because I've become so comfortable with the distance on my concert scale ukes that I can play with my eyes closed (yes, I do this sometimes, although I don't know why!).

As for choices - some years back while helping to raise a couple of small kids, I realized that with little kids it's always better to offer them limited choices - "would you like A, or B?" - than it is to ask them "what would you like?" or something more open ended. Then at a certain point, I realized that *I* am happier when confronted with fewer choices myself! This has led to a lot of self-imposed restrictions (e.g. buy local and artisan-made instead of overseas-factory mass-produced) that help reinforce my voluntary simplicity, all of which makes me just a little bit happier.

coolkayaker1
08-18-2014, 04:00 PM
I, too, have heard that people are satisfied with fewer choices. Solid body, or laminate. Eat, or don't eat. Get out of bed, or stay in bed. Shower, or stay dirty. Say "I love you" to someone we love, or just assume they already know that. Choices.

mm stan
08-18-2014, 04:48 PM
How does one know he/she is a hardcore collector....when you cannot sell even the bad ones and enjoy playing them too....:)

consitter
08-18-2014, 10:20 PM
I, too, have heard that people are satisfied with fewer choices. Solid body, or laminate. Eat, or don't eat. Get out of bed, or stay in bed. Shower, or stay dirty. Say "I love you" to someone we love, or just assume they already know that. Choices.

My dearest Steve,

SHUT. UP. If there's anything you're not, it's a philosopher. You're way, WAY better served as the comic relief. ;)

Scott

DownUpDave
08-18-2014, 11:01 PM
How does one know he/she is a hardcore collector....when you cannot sell even the bad ones and enjoy playing them too....:)

I believe hardcore collector is spelled. .............hoarder. Not that there is anything wrong with that :cheers:

consitter
08-18-2014, 11:37 PM

Or when you can't get through your home without bumping into one at every turn.

Sound familiar?

Andy Chen
08-19-2014, 12:19 AM
Look to the Significant Other to stop UAS. I have had to cancel a Mya-Moe I was really looking forward to owning.

DownUpDave
08-19-2014, 12:27 AM
Look to the Significant Other to stop UAS. I have had to cancel a Mya-Moe I was really looking forward to owning.

Shame about the Mya Moe, but if mama ain't happy nobodies happy.

consitter
08-19-2014, 01:50 AM

For me, that goes with anything I want to acquire.

Anything.

mm stan
08-19-2014, 02:02 AM

I guess you are a slow learner....get your wife to start playing the uke and Aquiring UAS...

DownUpDave
08-19-2014, 04:00 AM
I guess you are a slow learner....get your wife to start playing the uke and Aquiring UAS...

I encourage my wife to buy as many shoes and purses as she wants. I make it a point to notice every new purchase and complement her on it. Seems to be workingbecause someone asked her how many ukes I have and she said " Not sure I think it is maybe 3 or4 ", she is loosing count already. It helps to be married for 32 years though, you forget a lot of stuff

Rllink
08-19-2014, 04:09 AM
I encourage my wife to buy as many shoes and purses as she wants. I make it a point to notice every new purchase and complement her on it. Seems to be workingbecause someone asked her how many ukes I have and she said " Not sure I think it is maybe 3 or4 ", she is loosing count already. It helps to be married for 32 years though, you forget a lot of stuffWhen I get into something that is going to start costing a lot of money, I learned not to talk to my wife about it. I had a friend that got into guns. Instead of buying a gun, taking it down to the basement and putting it wherever he put them, he had to come right home and show it to his wife. Well, she can count. For me, it was cameras at one time. Best bet is to just not share your enthusiasm with your significant other in that regard, and if he or she happens to comment on your newest acquisition, just say that you've had it for a long time, but just haven't been playing it.

wickedwahine11
08-19-2014, 04:54 AM
When I get into something that is going to start costing a lot of money, I learned not to talk to my wife about it. I had a friend that got into guns. Instead of buying a gun, taking it down to the basement and putting it wherever he put them, he had to come right home and show it to his wife. Well, she can count. For me, it was cameras at one time. Best bet is to just not share your enthusiasm with your significant other in that regard, and if he or she happens to comment on your newest acquisition, just say that you've had it for a long time, but just haven't been playing it.

I confess to that trick with purses. If you keep it long enough without using it in front of your spouse, when they do eventually see it you are telling the kinda-sorta "truth" when you say you have had it forever. That doesn't work with ukes for me though since mine are all on wall hangers.

Or it helps if your spouse wants something expensive. The last uke I got permission to buy was in exchange for giving permission to buy a motorcycle.

Dan Uke
08-19-2014, 08:04 AM
I confess to that trick with purses. If you keep it long enough without using it in front of your spouse, when they do eventually see it you are telling the kinda-sorta "truth" when you say you have had it forever. That doesn't work with ukes for me though since mine are all on wall hangers.

Or it helps if your spouse wants something expensive. The last uke I got permission to buy was in exchange for giving permission to buy a motorcycle.

Seems like you deserve 2 ukes for the price of a motorcycle!! At least ask for a pickup, amp, and new fiberglass case...in aqua of course!! ;)

wickedwahine11
08-19-2014, 08:20 AM
Seems like you deserve 2 ukes for the price of a motorcycle!! At least ask for a pickup, amp, and new fiberglass case...in aqua of course!! ;)

Depends on the price of the uke. ;) In my case, the motorcycle is cheaper. And you know me well...if it is turquoise it is for me. That is why I can never give up my turquoise Kamoa fiberglass case, even though I think the Crossrock is a superior case.

Back to the OP post, I figure if it makes you happy, go for it. I never advocate anyone going into debt for a uke, but if you can afford it, and collecting makes you happy, knock yourself out. That being said, I do think you might want to save up for one really special uke. If KoAloha wasn't your thing, perhaps a different brand would be. I used to have seven ukes, now I am down to three with one on the way (the aforementioned motorcycle uke), and I am contemplating narrowing down to just the new one and one backup. A large part of why I had so many was I was searching for "the one uke to rule them all." If that instrument ever came along, I think I would only need it.

Rllink
08-19-2014, 08:29 AM

Or it helps if your spouse wants something expensive. The last uke I got permission to buy was in exchange for giving permission to buy a motorcycle.My wife and I have been married for a long long time. I don't know if we are different than most, or not, but we share some things, and some things not. Ukuleles are not my wife's thing. If I were to bring a brand new ukulele up and start sticking it in her face and trying to get her to look at it, she would get that. "I couldn't care less about ukuleles" look on her face. So ukueles are not something I spend a lot of time showing her. She does like to sing, and she is very musical, and she sings along with me when I play the uke sometimes, but I'll bet she has never even given the ukulele itself a second look. I'm pretty sure that over the years we are even up though. I know that she brings home a lot of stuff that she doesn't bother to bore me with, and I'm OK with that.

Andy Chen
08-19-2014, 01:30 PM
I'm assuming my wife doesn't read this forum when I say I am currently stashing one in the office until I can honestly say I've had it for a long time.

DownUpDave
08-19-2014, 01:45 PM
I'm assuming my wife doesn't read this forum when I say I am currently stashing one in the office until I can honestly say I've had it for a long time.

Touche' :cheers::shaka::music:

A large man clap has just gone out.

Patrick Madsen
08-19-2014, 01:53 PM
Yep, I have a new archtop coming in Dec. I promise dear; this will be the last one......

Inksplosive AL
08-19-2014, 01:59 PM
I saw something written here or somewhere near saying the reason we buy more ukuleles is because we are not playing more and spending our time in the marketplace and elsewhere looking for the next toy. I now have 8 or 9 ukuleles and I suck at playing, I'm a hoarder a gosh dang ukulele hoarder.

Four motorcycles in the driveway, all classic Hondas three V4's in various states of repair/disrepair. Three guitars three amps and a Bass guitar none of which I play anymore. I would say I need help if I wasn't happy. Been thinking of pulling out the old bass again but then again I'm eying that Kala SUB bass in the marketplace... WHAT? If it was red it would have been on the way to me. The Aria pro2 Cardinal series even though its a small body is still a full scale bass. The SUB bass looks so much more user friendly and easier to play sitting at my desk.

And back to reality I really need to play more and read and post less.

Deaks
08-19-2014, 02:13 PM
Anyone got their Vorson yet? Really excited to find out if they're any good!

Andy Chen
08-19-2014, 02:40 PM
I like to collect and I am pretty sucky when it comes to playing, but I do not suck cos I like to buy.

This is the Internet age, how long do I need to buy a uke? It's like I have to go down to shop after shop to look for something I like, or that I have to go down to the bank to make a money transfer.

I spend 10 minutes to buy a uke I like, and I spend about two hours every day playing the ukuleles I have bought.

I suck cos I really need lessons and learn music theory, not because I like to buy ukes.

tbeltrans
08-19-2014, 02:56 PM
My suggestion for those who really want "somebody to stop them" from UAS would be to read this entire thread, start to finish, before clicking the "BUY" button on the next ukulele. That would now be similar to counting to 1000, and may be long enough for the heat of the moment to pass so the buyer can think clearly. If the buyer still wants the ukulele, then go for it!

This thread has gotten LONG, considering the subject matter. :)

I really think the simple answer is if you want it, buy it and ignore the "peanut gallery"!

Tony

mm stan
08-19-2014, 05:46 PM

I know someone who has done that with two custom ukes..... right ummmmmmmmm :)

kohanmike
08-19-2014, 06:45 PM
I should get the Vorson Tele Thursday. Will post a review shortly after. Not only do I have UAS, now it's expanded to BAS (bass acquisition syndrome); I was on Talk Bass last night about my custom uke bass on it's way and the Gold Tone GT MicroBass I bought last week on a whim, when I read a thread about converting a mini electric guitar to a sub-short scale bass. Yep, I went for it and ordered an Epiphone Les Paul Express 22" scale electric guitar for $99, also from zZounds, and I'm researching the parts to do the conversion, which will be about $40-50.

DownUpDave
08-20-2014, 07:51 AM
kohanmike : "Yep, I went for it and ordered a Les Paul Express"

Bless your heart for having such an out of control case of UAS. It is making it so easy for me to justify my purchases.

Keep up the good work.

tbeltrans
08-20-2014, 10:20 AM
kohanmike : "Yep, I went for it and ordered a Les Paul Express"

Bless your heart for having such an out of control case of UAS. It is making it so easy for me to justify my purchases.

Keep up the good work.

These purchases also help keep money moving through the economy, which is ultimately a good thing.

Tony

kohanmike
08-20-2014, 02:33 PM
OK all, I got the Vorson today, see my new post "NUD Vorson solid body electric steel string Telecaster style uke".