Super Duper Snark

Icelander53

Reaction score
Supposed to be more accurate than their regular model. Costs about a third more. Has anyone tried it and want to give a review?

Hi, if you are asking about the "Super Tight" model SN-8, it is a nice tuner. Shaped like the others, flat black but the display is a little different. It has vertical bars that light up instead of an arc that moves (like an analog needle would). The tuning seems to me to be more accurate because it does not lock onto the pitch when it gets close. It shows the bar on either side along with the center bar when it gets close, and only the center bar when on pitch. Got it for $19.00.

If you are talking about the newest one (a small box shape that clips to the headstock, without the arm), I would also like to see comments on it. I just saw it last week at a festival, but thought I would wait awhile. It was $30.00

You can get the "son of snark" for around $15 from Sweetwater or Strings&Beyond.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...iajqeUb9vmQlpxtkuj0F1pRwaivnpyJMx8aAg6H8P8HAQ

I've had one for a while and while a fine little tuner, it's a bit clumsy and awkward. I like the size as it hardly takes up any room in the case. However, there is not a great deal of room to position it on the small headstock of a uke. Not too much of a hassle, but it limits how easy it is to see the display. Still, Id give it a thumbs up. Battery had lasted, your not going to break it and it's as accurate as any other clip on.

yes it's a Super Tight. I got one from Amazon for around $16 I believe.

I think it's so good that I hardly need to practice now. :nana:

I really like the snark SN-6, and for $10.00 on amazon, it's hard to beat. I like the display. I find it easy to read, and the flickering colors tell me exactly where the pitch is at. I recently came back to the Ukulele from a time when even cheap electronic tuners were $25.00 or more, and were the size of a blackboard eraser. So, I've splurged and got a snark in every Ukulele case, just so I won't leave home without one.

I haven't found the Supertight Snark (SN-8) to be any more accurate than other Snarks (in fact, I think the red one that I have might be slightly more accurate) but the display is the only one that I can read outside in very bright sunlight - and it's still pretty accurate.

So my other Snarks are at home in my ukeing areas (one next to my couch, one clipped to my desk lamp) and I have an SN-8 in all my going-outside cases.

They're available on Ebay for pretty much the same price as the regular ones.

Hmmm, that Son of Snark looks pretty interesting!
I feel a mild case of TAS coming on. :)

Check Amazon out for reviews of this tuner. It's $10.70 and includes free shipping.

I really like the snark SN-6, and for $10.00 on amazon, it's hard to beat. I like the display. I find it easy to read, and the flickering colors tell me exactly where the pitch is at. I recently came back to the Ukulele from a time when even cheap electronic tuners were $25.00 or more, and were the size of a blackboard eraser. So, I've splurged and got a snark in every Ukulele case, just so I won't leave home without one.
thanks, I just bought 2, seems I can never find one when I need it. I'll keep one in the case. hard to beat for less than $10 each.

I like the cheap Snarks because they are not that accurate so people spend less time tuning. Even if the uke is in tune, it goes slightly out of tune when you fret it.

I've gone through the SN-2, SN-6, SN-8, and the Son of Snark, and I have to say that the SN-8 is probably the best to me - it simplifies the display down to a few bars, bright colors, and easy to read graphics. I feel as though the older models have too much "junk" on the display - so many tiny bars and stuff. The SN-8 and Son of Snark seem to cut down on those (who even uses display metronomes, anyways? haha). Now only if they could make an "impact-resistant" tuner... I drop my Snarks waaaayy too often these days!
I still like the Son of Snark (which is currently my main tuner), but the fixed display is really inconvenient for classical guitars - a headstock that is too bulky will make it a bit harder on you to read the display, but it's still fairly readable.

Even if the uke is in tune, it goes slightly out of tune when you fret it.
Most people, when they fret their instrument, fret with too much pressure. If you fret too hard (especially on the upper registers) you will go a lot sharper. My classical guitar professor told me a way to fix this - press the string down lightly and pluck (you'll hear a thump) as you -slowly- keep applying pressure until you get tone. Once you hear the note, then you just keep practicing until you always fret with that little pressure!
Plus, ukes and classical guitars included always go out of tune (ever wonder why classical guitarists always retune after every suite?)!

Top Bottom