Is the Roland AC 60 a good step up from the AC 33?

wayward

Reaction score
I've just been reading lots of old threads on here about amps. Our lead uke player was using a Laney bass amp, but the sound was too "muddy", so he's now using an AC 33... but he's not convinced it's giving him enough power. We mostly play small venues and he doesn't really want to bother with feeding the sound through the pa and adding a foldback speaker to the list of items to carry along and set up, + he's worried about more feedback issues in small spaces if he does that. Who uses a Roland AC 60 here? Do you think that would be a sensible solution to the problem?

I've never played an AC-33 to compare, but I love my AC-60. Coupled with an L.R. Baggs Para-Acoustic DI, I use it for all my gigs--mostly small venues, indoors and outdoors. I mostly play in bands with bass and electric & acoustic guitars, but no drums.

Keep in mind that the AC-60 does not run on batteries like the AC-33. It also doesn't have a looper.

- FiL

I've never played an AC-33 to compare, but I love my AC-60. Coupled with an L.R. Baggs Para-Acoustic DI, I use it for all my gigs--mostly small venues, indoors and outdoors. I mostly play in bands with bass and electric & acoustic guitars, but no drums.

Keep in mind that the AC-60 does not run on batteries like the AC-33. It also doesn't have a looper.

- FiL

Thanks FiL. We don't need the battery-operated option or the looper (I understand they're useful if you're on your own, & I know they're really popular, but I'm gonna come right out with a controversial comment and say, I really don't like loopers :eek:) and we are a trio (double bass & uke + lead uke/guitar/banjo), so your experience is relevant and welcome news.

What kind of PA are you using? Going into the PA is the best way to do it and it gives the sound guy (do you have a sound guy/gal) the ability to balance the sound. Personal foldback monitors are small and light these days.

Also, the AC-33 just might be powerful enough actually. You need to have someone you trust in the audience listening for balance. I know that when I busk with my AC-33 that often it doesn't sound loud enough to me but out front its plenty loud enough. This is why you need a sound guy. Musicians are TERRIBLE at setting their own levels from on the stage.

Anthony

What kind of PA are you using? Going into the PA is the best way to do it and it gives the sound guy (do you have a sound guy/gal) the ability to balance the sound. Personal foldback monitors are small and light these days.

Also, the AC-33 just might be powerful enough actually. You need to have someone you trust in the audience listening for balance. I know that when I busk with my AC-33 that often it doesn't sound loud enough to me but out front its plenty loud enough. This is why you need a sound guy. Musicians are TERRIBLE at setting their own levels from on the stage.

I'm sure you're right anthonyg. We haven't had the AC 33 long, and my band mates are both used to playing bigger venues, so maybe they think we need more volume than we actually do. We're planning to take it in turns to go out and listen to each other from the audience before our next gig, to see what we all think. If they're still convinced the lead uke needs more volume I think the AC 60 might be the next step though. Thanks for the help.

If you don't need battery operation, you could also consider the Fishman series. If I need more power, I want to get the Fishman Artist which is only $50 more but has 120 watts.

If you don't need battery operation, you could also consider the Fishman series. If I need more power, I want to get the Fishman Artist which is only $50 more but has 120 watts.

Thanks nongdam, I'll take a look at that one too.

Just a quick thought. The AC-33 is louder if its mains powered. If your battery powering in currently then plug it onto the mains power and see what you think.

Anthony

There's a lot more headroom in the Roland Acoustic Chorus 33 than an 'ukulele will drive. Myself and all my friends that own the AC-33 use an LR Baggs Para Acoustic DI or a Behringer ADI21 to get a lot more clean volume out of our AC-33's. Ric

We weren't using it on battery power. Yesterday we put it through the PA and it sounded plenty loud enough to me.

There's a lot more headroom in the Roland Acoustic Chorus 33 than an 'ukulele will drive. Myself and all my friends that own the AC-33 use an LR Baggs Para Acoustic DI or a Behringer ADI21 to get a lot more clean volume out of our AC-33's. Ric

That's good news: it looks increasingly likely that I will be using the AC 33 (as my band mate still isn't convinced that it's quite what he needs - search is on hold until he gets his new uke) and I bought a Behringer AD121 last week! I'm looking forward to trying the 2 together now. Thanks everyone.

I use the DI with the AC-33 as well and it's louder with it. Good recommendation Ric!

We weren't using it on battery power. Yesterday we put it through the PA and it sounded plenty loud enough to me.

That's good news: it looks increasingly likely that I will be using the AC 33 (as my band mate still isn't convinced that it's quite what he needs - search is on hold until he gets his new uke) and I bought a Behringer AD121 last week! I'm looking forward to trying the 2 together now. Thanks everyone.

You will be pleased with the increase in volume and clarity you get with your AC-33 when you use the ADI21. Ric

Top Bottom