Martin dealers that set up

mandrew

Reaction score
Are there Martin uke dealers in the US that do a good set up? I only see big box places, and they do not set up.

A new Martin should not need any "set up." If it does, send it back.

Every single instrument that any manufacturer sends to Gryphon Strings in Palo Alto goes first to one of a very picky team of luthiers, and if the setup isn't perfect out of the box, they make it so or send it back to the manufacturer. They also offer a significant discount on any future work that you might need done on any instrument you buy there. Frank Ford and his team are as good a repair department as there is in the US. Five stars out of five. There are only maybe four other major acoustic stores that can match them for on-site lutherie...Mandolin Brothers, Gruhn Guitars, Elderly, and Dusty Strings...there may be a few more, but those are ones I know well.

Thanks Rick for a few new/different vendors other than the standard MIMs, HMS, Uke Republic suggestions (who are all good)

Every single instrument that any manufacturer sends to Gryphon Strings in Palo Alto goes first to one of a very picky team of luthiers, and if the setup isn't perfect out of the box, they make it so or send it back to the manufacturer. They also offer a significant discount on any future work that you might need done on any instrument you buy there. Frank Ford and his team are as good a repair department as there is in the US. Five stars out of five. There are only maybe four other major acoustic stores that can match them for on-site lutherie...Mandolin Brothers, Gruhn Guitars, Elderly, and Dusty Strings...there may be a few more, but those are ones I know well.

Well, you qualified your whole search by wanting Martin Dealers. Yes, the others are good, but the ones I mentioned are respected world wide for their full range of fretted instrument lutherie services as well as being Martin dealers. I've done a lot of business with Gryphon and Mando Bros and know the folks at the other places as well. OH, I should add Mass St. Music in Lawrence, Kansas. My bad for not. Jim Baggett...fabulous store, great setups and repairs, too, and yes, a Martin dealer in a pretty neat little city there in the center of the US...not too far from Kansas City, MO.

It's not often that I will get to +1 a Rick Turner post so I can't pass it up. I have a Martin T2K that I bought at Gryphon. Plays like buttah. Not just set up, but signed by the tech who set it up. Fabulous place. Had Compass Rose ukes to choose from! Collings too. Yes, a dog hair finish Collings. Wow.

It's a good thing I don't live there anymore. I'd be living in their doorway because my wife would kick me out.

I'd like to add that any factory or new store setup can only get the instrument into the ball park with the strings that are on it. The ultimate setup should come down the line after you buy the uke and figure out exactly what strings you're going to use and what action height you want to play. "SETUP" is a highly subjective thing, and there are few absolutes, especially given string diameter differences among popular sets. So it's a bit disingenuous to rate a uke on it's "setup" given how adjustable the instruments are. We as builders or retailers can only get a uke close; if it happens to be perfect for you, that's great, but you shouldn't judge an instrument based on a bad setup for your strings and style. That can be fixed.

Top Bottom