Cocobolo Ukuleles #135 -- Custom Solid Nicaraguan Cocobolo Rosewood Soundboard

Cocobolo Ukuleles

Reaction score
Cocobolo Ukuleles #135

Custom solid Nicaraguan cocobolo rosewood soundboard
Solid Nicaraguan cocobolo rosewood back, sides, bridge, fingerboard and headstock overlay
Solid Honduran mahogany neck
100% handmade
Radius fingerboard
Solid bone nut and saddle
Aquila strings
Grover tuners
New
Concert-sized

MSRP: $399
Ukulele Underground Price: $349 -- including all taxes and free shipping

www.cocoboloukuleles.com

(I can't get the photos to upload correctly, so please email me for pictures and more information -- cocoboloukuleles@gmail.com)

Or click on the following link to see the pictures on Facebook:

www.facebook.com/cocoboloukuleles

Last edited:
The one on FB looks like wood with a velvet curtain draped over it. Pretty neat wood!

Wow, that wood is gorgeous! I love the contrast. It would be intersting to know why the tree grows heartwood in two colors like that. No one around here has anything like that!

Thank you for your kind words. We are lucky to have access to such beautiful tonewoods. I don't think that cocobolo rosewood gets the attention that it deserves. It looks and sounds great!

My mom purchased one of your ukes (#113, I believe) from Uncle Jon's Music in Westchester, IL a couple of months ago, and out of her 15 ukes, it is her absolute favorite uke. she shows it off every single chance she gets, and gets nothing but compliments. I enjoy playing it as well, and that radiused fretboard is a dream to play on, especially with barre chords. You guys do some awesome work.

If you ever make a soprano, it'd be hard for me to say No.

Dan

Dan, thank you for sharing your mom's story. I am really happy to hear that she is enjoying her new ukulele. Tell her thanks for passing on the good word about our ukuleles. I will keep you posted once we expand our line into sopranos.

SookeUke, I look forward to helping you pick out a beauty. We are working on some really nice ones right now that should be finished next week. I will post some pictures when they become available.

1300cc, unfortunately we only have concert-sized ukuleles available at the moment. We are a relatively new company, and we would eventually like to expand into tenors as well, but it will probably be at least 6 months or so until we are able to have them available.

For now we have two models available, both concert-sized:

Solid Nicaraguan cocobolo rosewood soundboard, back, sides, bridge, fingerboard and headstock overlay
Solid Honduran mahogany neck, bracing and binding
MSRP: $399
UU Price: $349 including all taxes and free shipping

and

Solid Honduran mahogany soundboard, neck, bracing and binding. (Honduran mahogany is a great tonewood that Martin and Gibson made popular when they used it on many of their vintage ukuleles).
Solid Nicaraguan cocobolo rosewood back, sides, bridge, fingerboard and headstock overlay
MSRP: $349
UU Price: $325 including all taxes and free shipping

All of our ukuleles come standard with a radiused fingerboard, Californian abalone side markers, a solid bone nut and saddle, and Aquila strings.

Custom orders are available upon request.

You can add a Lanakai Hardshell Concert Ukulele Case and an in-case humidifier to your purchase for an additional $25. I lose money on this offer, but it is worth it because I want our ukes to last a lifetime. If they are taken care of properly they will.

http://www.amazon.com/Lanikai-Hards...ywords=Lanikai+Hardshell+Concert+Ukulele+Case

http://www.amazon.com/Herco-HE360-G...id=1408250424&sr=1-1&keywords=clay+humidifier

Last edited:
Is it possible that Honduran Mahogany uke get stopped or seized at US customs? That wood is on the CITES list.

Skinny, I wasn't aware that it was now on the CITES list. I knew that there was talk about putting it on the list, but I read an (outdated apparently) article saying that they hadn't made the official decision yet. We buy all of our cocobolo rosewood and mahogany in small quantities from a registered dealer who gives us all of the required paperwork to legally transport and possess the wood. He explained to us that we can export our ukuleles as a 'finished' product, but that we might have problems if we were to export the wood in its natural state. We have never had any problems with Nicaraguan or US customs.

Last edited:
Skinny, I wasn't aware that it was now on the CITES list. I knew that there was talk about putting it on the list, but I read an (outdated apparently) article saying that they hadn't made the official decision yet. We buy all of our cocobolo rosewood and mahogany in small quantities from a registered dealer who gives us all of the required paperwork to legally transport and possess the wood. He explained to us that we can export our ukuleles as a 'finished' product, but that we might have problems if we were to export the wood in its natural state. We have never had any problems with Nicaraguan or US customs.

Yes, it's been on the list for quite some time, but CITES list has different degrees of so called "endangerment", and not sure what level honduras mahogany (Swietenia macrophylla) rises to.

As long as you have all your ducks in a row, paperwork wise, it shouldn't be a problem.

Skinny, I appreciate you bringing our attention to this issue. I was just reading that it was added in 2013. Like I say, we work with a registered dealer that provides us with the correct paperwork, so I think that we are going to be fine.

We have shipped a decent amount of ukuleles now and we haven't had any issues with Nicaraguan or US Customs.

Skinny, I appreciate you bringing our attention to this issue. I was just reading that it was added in 2013. Like I say, we work with a registered dealer that provides us with the correct paperwork, so I think that we are going to be fine.

We have shipped a decent amount of ukuleles now and we haven't had any issues with Nicaraguan or US Customs.

According to Cites website it was added in 2003
http://www.cites.org/eng/news/pr/2003/031111_mahogany.shtml

Geneva, 11 November 2003 – Internationally agreed trade regulations for big-leaf mahogany will enter into force on 15 November.

The neotropical populations of big-leaf mahogany (Swietenia macrophylla) will now be listed on CITES Appendix II, which requires that shipments of this timber be accompanied by a CITES export permit.

But sounds like you have your stuff together. And they do say "timber" which I take the meaning as raw lumber, and not a value added wood product like an instrument.

Last edited:
Dan, thank you for sharing your mom's story. I am really happy to hear that she is enjoying her new ukulele. Tell her thanks for passing on the good word about our ukuleles. I will keep you posted once we expand our line into sopranos.

You bet. And, if Uncle Jon's Music orders more from you, it's because my mom has already let at least a dozen people play it and she always lets them know where she purchased it. Everyone who has played it has had nothing but great things to say about it. Not only to they compliment the beauty of the uke, but also the ease of playability and the beautiful sound that comes from it.

Dan

Dan, Uncle Jon's has already ordered another round, so thank you for your support. You should go in and check them out if you get a chance. They are pretty and sound great. I really appreciate you and your mom spreading the word about our ukuleles. We are a relatively new company and it really helps when customers share their experiences with our ukuleles.

Skinny, thanks again for the information. We haven't had any problems, but just to be safe, I will start sending the permits with each ukulele.

That's a good idea - I know Dirk from Southcoast who has instruments shipped to him from South America has a "passport" included with each ukulele stating what woods make up the instrument!
http://www.southcoastukes.com/features.htm

I3uffer, I appreciate you sharing that idea with me. I think that I will do something similar to identify the woods and include the proper paperwork. I would imagine that instruments shipped from South America are inspected pretty thoroughly looking for Brazilian rosewood.

Top Bottom