Mainstream musicians who have played the 'ukulele

Brad Bordessa

Reaction score
Here is a small list of mainstream musicians who have played the 'ukulele at some point in their career.

Hopefully you guys know of more than the four artists I have listed and can help add to the list.

Jimi Hendrix
George Harrison
Johnny Winter
Brian May

I had read somewhere that George Harrison liked to play ukulele and he would drag three or four of them around with him so that when he was visiting friends they could sit and play songs. Paul McCartney said to him why do you keep buying ukuleles for me as presents, this is the third one you have given me. George said if you have your own ukulele then I wont have to keep draging extra ones around for you to use, you can just go get your own.

Here is a small list of mainstream musicians who have played the 'ukulele at some point in their career.

Hopefully you guys know of more than the four artists I have listed and can help add to the list.

Jimi Hendrix
George Harrison
Johnny Winter
Brian May

Eddie Vedder
Jack Johnson

Not mainstream exactly, but Zach Condon of Beirut; they're one of the reasons I was inspired to begin playing ukulele! Amazing music. :D

not so mainstream, but he's that "bubbly" chic's lead guitar -- justin young from HI. watched them perform not too long ago

i remember seeing a commercial that Kurt Cobain's first instrument was an "electric red ukulele" from his uncle or something.

Stephen Merritt from the Magnetic Fields, Gothic Archies, etc.
Harry Nilson, I believe.
Scatman Crothers

John Glenn isn't a musician, but he's someone your grandma would recognize.

And let's not forget that the old-timers WERE mainstream:
Roy Smeck
Ukulele Ike
Arthur Godfrey

Syd Barrett and Joni Mitchell both played ukulele.

I was surprised to see Hendrix at the top of this list; somehow I never imagined him playing one. I wonder if he ever set fire to a uke?:rolleyes:

Top Bottom