UK.lele - UK Ukulele meet this summer

ukeshale

Reaction score
A lot of you will have recieved private messages from me via youtube. For those that haven't.

I'm in the process of organising an ukulele get together for this summer. Some great players from this forum and youtube are already confirmed and others are confirmed providing commitments allow.

No destination's been decided yet as I originally wanted a general idea of who'd be interested so we could work something out equidistant for everyone.

We're already generating some mild interest from people overseas - so don't feel like you're not welcome if you're living outside of the country!

Despite it being early days, it's looking like we could have quite a turn out. More information will become available as I get it.

Any suggestions/input are/is welcome!

:shaka:

I'm interested. Is it a one day get-together you have in mind, or something spread over a weekend? When you say equidistant, I guess that depends on who shows an interest. There are lots of uke players dotted around the UK (some more dotty than others). I'm in the West Midlands.

Will you be going to the Hollesley Uke Camp?

Ukantor.

Well me and Tony are doing some research at the moment and trying to get a general idea of what's going to happen. We should be able to tell you alot more in the next few weeks. We've had some great youtube players confirm interest in the last few days.

Please pm me some details about the Hollesley Uke Camp.

In the meantime - please check out Tony's youtube channel.

www.youtube.com/casetone2514

you can also find him on

www.youtube.com/ukecrazybitches

this is exactly what the uk needs, i'm kinda getting tired of having to travel to US for meet ups and such. i live in the south east so anywhere accessible is fine for me, like london, manchester or cardiff.

I live in Northern Ireland. There's the Ukuhooley in the south and a few of us might be able to go. I'll let everyone know there for you.

Thanks for the help. We're getting some really good feedback today so it's looking like promoting it could be made a lot easier for us in the long run.

When your proposals have firmed up a bit, it would be a good idea to float the details on some of the other ukulele forums. If would give you wider publicity, and might avoid a date clash with some other British uke event. This is no disrespect to UU, but there seem to be fewer Brits on this forum than some others.

I'm looking forward to learning more about this as it develops.

Ukantor.

Well we've not allowed ourself a lot of time to organise so we're contemplating an invite only of up to around 40 - 60 people maximum. Hopefully we've given ourself enough time to find who exactly does want to come and will be able to make it. We're looking for free/cheap venues, maybe outdoors, as ideally we don't want to charge people. The only problem with outdoor events would be the acoustics. If it's a big success then we can always plan for something bigger next year.

Yes, that's a sensible approach. You do need to tailor the attendance to the size of the venue. My experience of uke gatherings in the UK suggests that you are unlikely to have the problem of too many punters. Last year there was a very well organised Uke Fest at Oswestry, but it was not advertised widely enough. It could easily have accommodated upwards of a hundred people, but fewer than two dozen turned up. It was still a most enjoyable event, but the organiser lost quite a lot of his own hard earned money.

The Hollesley Uke Camp weekend started three years ago in a very small way, but last year Bosko & Honey from Australia were there, as was the great Yan Yalego from France. This year it has attracted players from a number of European countries, and several from the USA. Already the camp site is full to overflowing, and other sites around are creaking at the seams.

The uke scene in the UK is really gathering steam, and your initiative will be most welcome.

Ukantor.

Top Bottom