Side Fret Markers; a Newfangled Invention?

Booksniffer

Reaction score
I just so happens that all 4 of my ukuleles (a Brueko longneck soprano, a flat Brueko soprano, a Fluke and a Mainland concert) came without side fret markers.

As I am still very much at the beginning of my uke-learning journey and am trying hard not to look at the front of the fingerboard while I play, I do find them useful.
I have added them to 3 out of 4 of my ukuleles so far (using marker pen and nailpolish; it does come off with a little effort, nothing irreversible) so in itself it is not a problem.

It made me wonder, though; did the early ukuleles have side fret markers?

There are plenty of pictures to be found of vintage ukuleles, but none of them that I could find showed the side in enough detail.

Does anyone know if side fret markers are a recent addition?

The only "vintage" uke I've got is an old "Skylark", probably from the '60's or '70's, that's got no fret-markings at all (economy model)!

However, in the UK there's an importer that brands his instruments Vintage ... I've got one of his ukuleles with side markers but no "front" markers ... but you probably didn't want to know that ;)

Whenever they were Started, and whoever started them, I like 'em. They're a lot more useful than the front ones. :cheers:

My '50s-vintage Martin soprano has side fret markers. My '20s-vintage one does not.

Whenever they were Started, and whoever started them, I like 'em. They're a lot more useful than the front ones. :cheers:

I've heard others say that before too. Me, I don't even notice the side ones - and the only one of the front ones I pay much attention to is the one at the 12th, since I mostly alternate between two ukes with different joins (12 vs. 14 fret) and I tend to get a bit confoozed as to which one I'm playing :)

I've had 1920s ukes and contemporary ukes, and - nothing in between. The 1920s ukes didn't have the side dots; the contemporary ones all do, to varying degrees. My 1950s guitar doesn't have them.

I got curious and googled "fret dots history" and while I didn't get an answer, I did learn that players of all sorts of stringed instruments have similar questions about the history and placement of the dots - not just uke players.

I rely mostly on the side fret dots too unless, I'm slouched on a comfortable chair, then the fretboard (FB) markers are easier to see.

To digress a little, classical guitars usually don't have fret dots on the FB while electric guitars do. Why is that?

I rely on the front fret markers, largely because I play with my heels up on the desk and the ukulele fretboard tipped up toward me, being the lazy dog that I am.

(jR40, I'm on chapter five. I sure hope something happens soon. Lol).

I have four vintage ukuleles - all shown in my signature. A 60's Kay , an indeterminate camp uke, a 50's Harmony, and a 40's Silvertone, None have side fret markers.

I've been known to put a couple side dots on a classical guitar before. :eek: Whiteout/Liquid Paper words well and comes off easily without damage.

I'm not one who constantly watches my left hand, since I'm usually following sheets in front of me. But occasionally there's a difficult jump on the fretboard, and a quick glance to the left and seeing a side dot can help me land on the right fret.

I mean...who looks at fret markers while playing anyway?!?!?! :confused::anyone:

I mean...who looks at fret markers while playing anyway?!?!?! :confused::anyone:

Me...I do...not all the time or staring or anything rude ...but I do like a ready reference for where I am .......

CeeJay

I care about side fret markers more than front ones. I really like it when the 12th fret is specially marked (e.g. double dotted), and I wish they would move both front and side 15th fret markers to the 17th fret, for consistency with the lower neck 5th fret marker and greater visual distinction in spacing. As the frets get closer together, the 3-fret spacing and 2-fret spacing don't look all that different. For the same reason, I don't like 3rd fret markers--just visual clutter reducing the usefulness of the other markers.

Me too, I can't see the front markers. I don't have side markers. I wonder if someone can put them in for me....I didn't need them, of course, when I only played in the 1st position, but playing up the neck, I do!

White out works pretty well to apply side markers to frets. I used it when I started playing stand up bass. I put a light mark at the 5th, 7th and 12th fret points on the fingerboard, just as a quick reference on which to base everything else. Worked nicely and came off with a fingernail.

White out works pretty well to apply side markers to frets. I used it when I started playing stand up bass. I put a light mark at the 5th, 7th and 12th fret points on the fingerboard, just as a quick reference on which to base everything else. Worked nicely and came off with a fingernail.
I use a white out pen, no damage.

I just upgraded my old uke I perform with all the time with "real" side dots. I"ll post a pic. Looks great. (new tuners too)

(jR40, I'm on chapter five. I sure hope something happens soon. Lol).

Well, if nothing happens soon... at least it's fairly short :) Mine's "in transit" from the library. Probably means I'll see it Monday.

My way is to buy 1/4" round (dots) from Staples. They are removable and stick pretty well without leaving a residue. They occasionally fall off but I keep some in the case for an emergency. I put them on 5, 7, 10, & 12. They come in colors so you can put whichever color you want on any fret.

Top Bottom