New Uke Day: Dave Talsma Custom 3K Concert

RichM

Reaction score
I don't usually post New Uke Days posts, because, if I did, I would take up half the bandwidth of this forum! But today is something pretty special.

For a while now, my dream uke has been a vintage Martin 3K. For my money, the 3K is just about the most beautiful uke design ever created. The fly in the ointment was that I wanted a 3K concert. According to Walsh & King, only 15 3K concerts have ever been made, most of those in the mid-1920's. So on the rare chance that I stumbled across one, the price would likely have been heart-stopping.

About a year an a half ago, UU member MattyDee posted about a great experience he had working with luthier Dave Talsma. In fact, you can still read about it here: http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?78171-New-Uke-Day-Talsma-Custom!

Matty's custom was beautiful, and it drove me to Dave's website. His work was wonderful, from the wildest out-of-the-box designs (see Warren Buffet's Dairy Queen uke) to loving replicas of vintage ukes. After seeing the 3M and 3K replicas in his gallery, I was pretty sure I had found the luthier for my 3K concert. After talking with Dave a few times, I knew he was the right guy. And so I joined his build list and began the process of waiting.

That wait ended today, as a breathtakingly gorgeous uke showed up at my door. I am delighted with this ukulele; it is exactly the uke I wanted, and Dave's work is flawless. It is a very close replica of a 3K, with a few exceptions:

1. Most 3Ks had one piece tops, mine has a bookmatched top (it's easier to do a one-piece top with a soprano!). One could also say it's rare to find a 3K with as much figure as this one.
  2. 3Ks has friction tuners, mine has Gotoh UPTs (which look great, don't they?)
  3. Martins have, well, Martin-style bridges, whereas mine has a Talsma-designed string-through bridge. Dave was more than willing to put a Martin-style bridge on it, but I thought it would be nice to have a Talsma touch on a uke that is otherwise a replica.

If anybody is considering a custom, I can't recommend Dave Talsma highly enough. Check out his other work at: http://davetalsma.com/

14888751606_28d41c585e_o.jpg

Okay, Rich, that's why you were selling something not long ago. That is a bee-you-tiful uke! How clever of you to find a way to have it when it seemed impossible to find.

I like Talsma designs on his website. It's great to hear from you and Matt that his work is spectacular.

Um, how are you guys seeing it? I still can't see any pictures or add picture attachments since the recent downtime.

Sounds like a stunner and I would love to see it.

Um, how are you guys seeing it? I still can't see any pictures or add picture attachments since the recent downtime.

Sounds like a stunner and I would love to see it.

Picture attachments still do not seem to be working, but linking to photos still does... for most people, anyway. If you can't see the photos, here is a direct link:

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3842/14888751606_28d41c585e_o.jpg

And thanks for all the kind wishes so far! I'm VERY happy with it!

Congratulations. Dave's work is as good as it gets.

Congrats Rich. I have always been a fan of Dave's ukes ever since RyRod posted his first video reviews of his way back when. Nice choice.

Gorgeous! Many congratulations!

Rich that's one tasty looking 'ukulele! How does it sound?

Great looking uke. The thing that caught my eye is the diamond on the headstock, which I believe is a trademark of Kamoa Ukulele company. Hope no one has problems over that . . .

Great looking uke. The thing that caught my eye is the diamond on the headstock, which I believe is a trademark of Kamoa Ukulele company. Hope no one has problems over that . . .

This 1920 Martin 3K begs to differ...

a.-All-other-miscellaneous-photos-CF-Martin-Ukulele-44_-2-580x482.jpg

Picture attachments still do not seem to be working, but linking to photos still does.
Maybe it's something to do with mobile it pics don't work on ipad or iPhone but the link worked. Wow! :drool: I'd take that bridge and tuners over an old Martin any day.

(Edit: the old Martin pic shows up fine but not the one in the OP. Strange. And now I can add that the Talsma looks way better than that old Martin too. Double wow.)

Last edited:
Looks wicked... How does the bridge work?

I'm imagining it like a string-through on an electric guitar, but that can't be it because it's hollow-body with no holes in the back.

:iwant:.............................:drool:

Rich that's one tasty looking 'ukulele! How does it sound?

Like a thousand angel singing in the heavens...

.... or tight and focused and sweet, like a really good koa uke. :)

(Edit: the old Martin pic shows up fine but not the one in the OP. Strange. And now I can add that the Talsma looks way better than that old Martin too. Double wow.)

I think so, too, but to be fair, the Martin has had over 90 years of hard use, while the Talsma was born yesterday. :)

Looks wicked... How does the bridge work?

I'm imagining it like a string-through on an electric guitar, but that can't be it because it's hollow-body with no holes in the back.

The strings feed in the top of the bridge and go into the body of the uke. The end of the string naturally curves up through the soundhole where you can put a knot or two in it (or a bead on it) to hold it in.

'Tis a beauty, Rich...let's hear it!
cheers!

Oh, there will be sound files posted... don't you worry about that :)

Top Bottom